LegacyGT.com

The Cell Phone Thread - So FJuan Stops Complaining

magnusonsubie

That's a waste of money for an accessport :lol: 2008+ Subies don't have the luxury of going open source, most tuners will only tune with Accessport on 2008+ so it's a neccessity. It would just be nice to have the AP integrated as an app so that's one less thing I have to have. On the new WRX's what's cool is the dashboard screen you can set to read your AFR, oil temp, coolant temp, boost, oil pressure, fuel pressure etc + it also has a boost gauge as one of the screens. Only thing i monitor on my AP is FKL & DAM. Would just be nice to plug my phone in to use instead of a separate device. I've dissected an AP before and it's made with parts that cost no more than $50, most of the value is in the software and it would save Cobb a lot of money on manufacturing

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol new thread time? I'm down for a Cobb vs OS discussion.

:lol::lol::lol: that's a pretty one sided debate, for those of us who have a 2008 or newer car don't really have another choice in tuning. There is ECUtek but for the price of their hardware and software you might as well buy the Accessport and have the benefits of the Cobb tuning network. I met someone from here years back who had a 2009 LGT that tuned his with a tactrix cable but such a risk if you don't know what you're doing.

Android has had NFC capabilities for a long time, not many retailers cared until Apple got into it.

Android is the biggest knockoff ever.

iOS release date: June 29, 2007

Android: September 23, 2008

Android may have better specs but Apple will continue to dominate the consumer world.

I hope you really don't believe that Android is a knock off of iOS and you're being facetious.

If you do truly believe that... I'm intersted to know what other conspiracy theories you have thoughts on.

• I Donated
I hope you really don't believe that Android is a knock off of iOS and you're being facetious.

If you do truly believe that... I'm intersted to know what other conspiracy theories you have thoughts on.

He's got somewhat of a point. Android would likely not exist if it weren't for the iPhone. The idea of a modern smartphone OS that used touch input rather than a trackball/d-pad or stylus did not exist before the iPhone.

Which makes the score roughly: iPhone 1, Android 76. ;) Considering basically all the features that have been added to iOS since 2011 originated on Android.

• I Donated
That is not true at all, HTC and others were doing it with windows mobile along with Palm who had PDA's but they were geared for just business users. Again Apple didn't innovate they copied, tweaked and stamped an apple on it.

Read.

The idea of a modern smartphone OS that used touch input rather than a trackball/d-pad or stylus did not exist before the iPhone.

Windows Mobile used a stylus or D-pad. Palm used a stylus. Blackberry used a D-pad or trackball. None of them used finger touch, and finger touch is what moved smartphones from a niche product for suits and techies, to a mainstream product for all consumers.

Furthermore, the addition of a usable software keyboard and the deletion of almost all hardware buttons meant that Apple could grow the screen size significantly past most prior successful mobile devices (a few HTC sliders and Sony Clies being the only exceptions), resulting in, once again, greater usability and appeal to the masses.

I much prefer Android, and they have been far better at innovation since 2011, but still gotta give credit where credit's due.

I favor Apple after having multiple Android Devices. I've been a T-mobile customer since 2006, and they didn't get the iPhone until 2012 in the states, ironically they're the biggest carrier in the rest of the world and sell the most iphones in the world outside of the US. I had the very first Android phone the G1 for a year, it was cool but if you go back a few pages you can see the amount of issues I had with it and had to replace twice. Got a Blackberry and had that for 2 years and was the best phone I ever had, did everything I wanted and then I lost it when I was drunk. After that got the Galaxy S 4G and had that for a year and change (had to replace one because it kept burning SIM cards), upgraded to the S3 in 2012 when it came out, had to replace 2 of them and my 3rd one was on it's way out so september 2013 I upgraded to the iPhone 5S when it released.

I had that phone for almost 2 years before upgrading to a iPhone 6 last august and never had a single issue with either phone. Despite how cutting edge the latest galaxy's or whatever else android based phones may be it's difficult for me to go back seeing as that every android phone I ever owned gave me issues. I never had any issues with either iPhone other than the battery life being dismal the last month I had my 5S. So based on all that, iPhone it is for me. It does everything I want and it is reliable.

Just because something had a d-pad, or stylus does not mean they didn't use finger touch. Those companies were doing it before the IPhone, lots of people seem to forget that. If you lost your stylus you could still use your phone, and all of the apps, some harder then other but it was possible.

Apple refined the interface but were never the innovative genius behind the idea, so how can you give them credit for something that was being done years before they came to market with it and say they were first. They did bring it to the masses as a refined product but definitely not the first.

Before Android became know as android it was being tested as a dual boot OS(linux) on windows mobile devices. Most people don't know that because it wasn't until it was know as Android and sold as the only OS on the device did it start to gain a following. But it would have happened regardless of what Apple was doing.

You are an Android fanboy.

Android may have better specs but Apple will continue to dominate the consumer world.

By what metric?

Android has a larger overall marketshare than iOS.

You are an Android fanboy.

You are an Apple fanboy if you can't admit that Apple isn't the world's sole innovator. They do an excellent job of taking existing ideas, putting their own spin on it, and combining things in to a nice package. NFC is a perfect example. Android did it first. Apple (arguably) did it better, by getting more widespread interest in it. Android certainly borrows some ideas from iOS, but Apple borrows lots of things from Android...and they often do a better job, which then puts pressure on Android to continue improving.

It works out better for both companies, and for users of both devices. Android just happens to come up with more ideas :p

ftfy

Famaya, please understand this fact. You are an expert in none of these topics. Star Wars?!?! :lol:

Star Wars was released in 1977

Star Trek... 1966

stfu and come back when you actually bring facts to the table vs your silly opinions.

I favor Apple after having multiple Android Devices. I've been a T-mobile customer since 2006, and they didn't get the iPhone until 2012 in the states, ironically they're the biggest carrier in the rest of the world and sell the most iphones in the world outside of the US. I had the very first Android phone the G1 for a year, it was cool but if you go back a few pages you can see the amount of issues I had with it and had to replace twice. Got a Blackberry and had that for 2 years and was the best phone I ever had, did everything I wanted and then I lost it when I was drunk. After that got the Galaxy S 4G and had that for a year and change (had to replace one because it kept burning SIM cards), upgraded to the S3 in 2012 when it came out, had to replace 2 of them and my 3rd one was on it's way out so september 2013 I upgraded to the iPhone 5S when it released.

I had that phone for almost 2 years before upgrading to a iPhone 6 last august and never had a single issue with either phone. Despite how cutting edge the latest galaxy's or whatever else android based phones may be it's difficult for me to go back seeing as that every android phone I ever owned gave me issues. I never had any issues with either iPhone other than the battery life being dismal the last month I had my 5S. So based on all that, iPhone it is for me. It does everything I want and it is reliable.

I had the G1 too. It took me a few days until I realized I hated it. That bar with trackball at the bottom was really annoying when you tried to type on the keyboard. I switched to Blackberry after that and had been a Blackberry only user until 2010ish, which is when I switched to Android. I've had issues with all my Android phones including the S7 edge. The best experience I've had was with my Nexus 5. If it wasn't for the GPS module never working, I would still be using it.

I see all the benefits with the iPhone. If I wasn't all in with the Google Eco system, iPhone might be something I would have entertained.

Famaya, please understand this fact. You are an expert in none of these topics. Star Wars?!?! :lol:

Star Wars was released in 1977

Star Trek... 1966

stfu and come back when you actually bring facts to the table vs your silly opinions.

He's still at the kiddy table :lol:

• I Donated
Just because something had a d-pad, or stylus does not mean they didn't use finger touch. Those companies were doing it before the IPhone, lots of people seem to forget that. If you lost your stylus you could still use your phone, and all of the apps, some harder then other but it was possible.

Apple refined the interface but were never the innovative genius behind the idea, so how can you give them credit for something that was being done years before they came to market with it and say they were first. They did bring it to the masses as a refined product but definitely not the first.

That's nice that you could theoretically use your finger instead of a stylus, in a pinch. I had both PalmOS and Windows Mobile devices, and I can tell you that it was not a pleasant experience to try to click a 1/4" tall button on a resistive touch screen with your finger. The interface was not designed to do that. Even worse was trying to scroll, because you sure as hell couldn't swipe, so you have to use the scroll bars. And forget about pinch to zoom.

The difference is that prior handhelds were based on the mouse-pointer paradigm. You used the stylus to point and click, just like you would with a mouse. Apple abandoned that completely. Larger icons and buttons, haptic feedback, multi-touch, swipe, usable onscreen keyboard. That's not a "refined interface," it's a completely new one. The only similarities were that it was a GUI.

Not sure if that is a mistake but going from a Galaxy 4 to an S3 is a downgrade.

He said he had a Galaxy S 4G. That's the original Galaxy S, not the Galaxy S4. I had an Epic 4G, which was the Sprint version of the same phone. I'm not afraid to say that it sucked. GPS never worked right, from Day 1 to the day I turned it off for the last time. It was slow, and it never got an official update past 2.3. I had to install CM9 to make it even close to acting like a modern phone.

Here's the thing about Android, though: I got fed up with Samsung (after my Note 2, another dud of a phone), so I went to a different manufacturer. I've had two LGs now, both of which have been rock stars. I'm looking at maybe one of those new Motorolas with the interchangeable backs for my next phone. This is one of the reasons for innovation in the Android space: competition.

Not sure if that is a mistake but going from a Galaxy 4 to an S3 is a downgrade.

The problem with Android is there are so many different manufactures selling different hardware all running Android in one form or another. Not only are there different manufactures. Some have different version of the same phone with different chips for each region. But not all are equal, yet all get lumped together because they all run android. But like everything else there are different levels from entry level phones to flagship phones unfortunately they are not all equal.

That being said I have had a Nexus5 that was utter shit, when compared to my S4, but neither of those compared to my Note4. I really like the Xperia line that was water proof but I never liked Googles version of android.

I have had issues with 2 of the 3 S4's I had, but I always bought the warranty protection from my provider, and just exchanged them when anything came up that seemed more then software related.

No, i had the Galaxy S 4G. As in the Samsung Galaxy S. There was 2 versions of that phone, the Galaxy S which only had 3G service and was available on almost all networks, and then the Galaxy S 4G which was only available on T Mobile, it came out early to mid 2011 when 4G service was still fairly new to the cellular market. Then in late 2012 the Galaxy S3 came out, around the same time the iphone 5 came out.

@PeterJMC, not sure what things you need from google, but almost all google applications are available on iOS. It seems like you go through the same frustrations with your phones like I did, and switching things over to a new phone is a slight inconvenience for most of us 1st world troubled people :lol: either way since having an iPhone I never have had to.

That's nice that you could theoretically use your finger instead of a stylus, in a pinch. I had both PalmOS and Windows Mobile devices, and I can tell you that it was not a pleasant experience to try to click a 1/4" tall button on a resistive touch screen with your finger. The interface was not designed to do that. Even worse was trying to scroll, because you sure as hell couldn't swipe, so you have to use the scroll bars. And forget about pinch to zoom.

The difference is that prior handhelds were based on the mouse-pointer paradigm. You used the stylus to point and click, just like you would with a mouse. Apple abandoned that completely. Larger icons and buttons, haptic feedback, multi-touch, swipe, usable onscreen keyboard. That's not a "refined interface," it's a completely new one. The only similarities were that it was a GUI.

He said he had a Galaxy S 4G. That's the original Galaxy S, not the Galaxy S4. I had an Epic 4G, which was the Sprint version of the same phone. I'm not afraid to say that it sucked. GPS never worked right, from Day 1 to the day I turned it off for the last time. It was slow, and it never got an official update past 2.3. I had to install CM9 to make it even close to acting like a modern phone.

Here's the thing about Android, though: I got fed up with Samsung, so I went to a different manufacturer. I've had two LGs now, both of which have been rock stars. I'm looking at maybe one of those new Motorolas with the interchangeable backs for my next phone. This is one of the reasons for innovation in the Android space: competition.

What I hated about Samsung was having to download their software on my computer to do OS upgrades and it never worked right (meanwhile Motorola and HTC phones could do OTA updates) granted when I do my iOS upgrades I do it with my phone plugged in to iTunes but that's to save memory on the phone. Samsung's software was a pain to use and difficult to navigate.

• I Donated
What I hated about Samsung was having to download their software on my computer to do OS upgrades and it never worked right (meanwhile Motorola and HTC phones could do OTA updates) granted when I do my iOS upgrades I do it with my phone plugged in to iTunes but that's to save memory on the phone. Samsung's software was a pain to use and difficult to navigate.

I never had to do that with my Note 2. OTA updates worked fine. With that said, the phone got progressively slower with every update that came through. A factory reset made it a bit better, but it was still pretty awful by the time I got my LG G3.

Archived