LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT - Replace turbo or get new car?

Got the engine reseated today. Went to go put the copper crush washer back on the banjo bolt so I could put the turbo back on, and I friggen lost all four of them that I bought somehow :mad:

Local auto parts store didn't have them big enough so now I have to sit and wait them to come in the mail. I'm so mad at myself right now... :spin:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got the engine reseated today. Went to go put the copper crush washer back on the banjo bolt so I could put the turbo back on, and I friggen lost all four of them that I bought somehow :mad:

Local auto parts store didn't have them big enough so now I have to sit and wait them to come in the mail. I'm so mad at myself right now... :spin:

Yeah, that's how the build goes. Be as organized as you can be but something must go wrong.

Whenever you have small parts like that and you are not going to use them immediately, put them together with a bread tie or zip tie and then attach them to a larger part that they are associated with so they can't fly away. Once you are to the point of using that part, put the zip tied small parts in your pocket and then you'll have them right where/when you want them.

Lesson learned for the future, thanks :)

When removing the parts, I actually put them in plastic bags with descriptions of where they go so I can put it back together. I'll probably combine the two in the future to include parts I replace, not just remove.

Lesson learned for the future, thanks :)

When removing the parts, I actually put them in plastic bags with descriptions of where they go so I can put it back together. I'll probably combine the two in the future to include parts I replace, not just remove.

LOL you should see the inside of my car i have a crap load of ziplock bags with bolts in them labeled.. I knew that was the first thing I was going to do because it's easy to have that last bolt in your hand and thinking were the hell does this go when the motor is back in :lol::spin:

Ultimate prank - put an extra bolt or nut in one of the bags.

Ugh I cleaned out my trunk on Saturday I have bolts in bags I guess I did not label ugh I don't know what the hell it is. I know it's not internal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: started trying to get the new turbo in today. Took some wd40 and some sand paper to the uppipe while a rag was stuffed in it to get the thin layer of rust off, nice and clean now, put new grimmspeed gasket on, spent about fifteen minutes trying to get the oil return hose to line up on the pipe while also getting the three studs to line up. Then vet appointment, my dad lost his car key so I had to run his spare to him at work, and then emergency vet call when I got back from that so I haven't had time to really concentrate on getting it back on. Probably try again Saturday evening. I'm so close to being able to drive it again; I can't wait!!

Any tips for getting it seated with the air intake pipe constantly being in the way? That seemed to be the biggest issue when trying to get everything lined up.

Oh! And I found the nut from the compressor on the turbo! Was sitting just inside the air intake hose.

I wish I had $5.00 for every time I've told people to bolt the turbo to the up pipe. I'd be rich.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4782.jpg

It's SO MUCH EASIER. Those bolts are the same bolts that bolt the up pipe support bracket to the block. Common 10mmx1.25 bolt. I'd guess 30mm long.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I wish I had $5.00 for every time I've told people to bolt the turbo to the up pipe. I'd be rich.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4782.jpg

It's SO MUCH EASIER. Those bolts are the same bolts that bolt the up pipe support bracket to the block. Common 10mmx1.25 bolt. I'd guess 30mm long.

I feel like that is a change to be made when the engine is actually pulled completely; unless there's a trick I'm not aware of to get the studs out of the uppipe without removing the engine/uppipe? I can probably get it on as is, just didn't have a ton of time to mess with it this week. I can see the benefit to the way you suggest though and I may switch over to that if/when I pull the engine in the future.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, so I got the studs off the uppipe, I have the turbo seated with both the oil return hose on as it should be and the air intake on as well. My hangup now is this: On the oil return hose, there are two clamps. What I did was take the hose off the turbo, first attached it and clamped it at the bottom, and then used a long flathead screw driver to maneuver the top of the hose into the exact right spot while setting the turbo down into it. I am having trouble being able to reach down around the turbo to be able to get the top clamp into the correct spot so that it actually grips the hose to the return pipe. Any tips or suggestions how to get that clamp on there?

I have a pair of the long reach ones already; but I couldnt see past them to make sure I was getting it in place because of the tight space. The hose ones though; I might pick that up as I'll be right by Harbor Freight tomorrow anyway.

i havent done my turbo yet but ive used my pliers for removing small coolant lines and pcv hoses. Other idea would be to attach the oil return line on the turbo with clamp first.

Also random thought did you clean out/check your intercooler and throttle body piping for metal shaving dust?

I seem to recall the first time I installed the turbo in the car, I didn't have a lot of problem with that light clamp. But I do have a few kinds of needle nose pliers. If the turbo is not fully installed, just start over again. Put that on before you install the turbo.

My engine was still in so the oil return went onto the head 1st. I took the top clamp and moved it as far down as I could and with generous lube shoved it onto the line. Before that I was trying to put the line on the head while attached t the turbo. Engine out the car and on the stand I'm sure that's not a difficult task to do.

Archived