LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT - Replace turbo or get new car?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My engine was still in so the oil return went onto the head 1st. I took the top clamp and moved it as far down as I could and with generous lube shoved it onto the line. Before that I was trying to put the line on the head while attached t the turbo. Engine out the car and on the stand I'm sure that's not a difficult task to do.

Yeah, that's how I'm doing it; with the hose already on the head. Although with hose pliers, maybe wouldn't be too hard to guide it onto the head??

I wonder I got that top clamp from under the car the first time...?

I've started considering this; I think I'll jack that side of the car back up and see what it looks like from below next chance I get.

Yup, new hose.

I picked up the hose pliers mentioned by WahooNo2 when I was by Harbor Freight today so I'll try to find some time Friday or Saturday evening this week to see if those help me manipulate things better in that tight space.

Also when I had a spare ten minutes I started this project!

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2506&pictureid=11496

i havent done my turbo yet but ive used my pliers for removing small coolant lines and pcv hoses. Other idea would be to attach the oil return line on the turbo with clamp first.

Also random thought did you clean out/check your intercooler and throttle body piping for metal shaving dust?

Forgot to reply to this earlier: Yes I did check those, and they were clean thankfully :)

So had some time today to go at it again, this time I pulled the turbo off, attached the hose to the turbo, and used the OEM bottom hose clamp from Subaru (the rounded one). What a difference that makes! I was able to use a long screwdriver to line up the return hose with the tube heading back down and push down firmly and slid on! Now in process of bolting everything back on. I went with Max Capicity's suggestion of pulling the uppipe studs and bolting down into the uppipe, but apparently being in there for 11 years made them not want to come out nice; I had to spend some time retapping two of the three threads to bolt down into. But it's now looking like I might actually finish this on Wednesday!! :spin:

In addition to the stereo swap, I've decided I want to install a boost gauge and an oil pressure gauge so I can actually monitor what the turbo and the oil are doing to hopefully prevent such an issue again. Any thoughts/opinions/resources for the best way to install the oil pressure gauge to best monitor the oil pressure to the turbo?

here's more pictures, had to pull my up pipe over the weekend. Spend some time cleaning up threads with a tap & die and putting anti-seize on all the threads

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/100-000-miles-invidia-up-pipe-256911.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Guess who just went for a drive! :D

Kept RPM at 2500 or under the whole time just to be safe. Had an oil leak when I first started up because I apparently didnt tighten the turbo oil feed banjo on top of the turbo tight enough, so had to tighten that down a bit more, but that issue is solved. I think I may have overfilled the coolant system and reservoir a bit as I left a decent pool of coolant at the store, and I spilled some coolant and oil on the engine while filling up in the dark, so I was a roiling tower of steam and smoke when I shut off the car; was very unsettling!

Once all that burned away though I became a lot more comfortable; no more steam/smoke from under the hood until I shut the car off now. I have a small coolant leak now, but I believe only from the hose feeding the turbo from the fill cap by. I cheated and reused that hose since it was right on top and easily accessible; I'll be replacing that tomorrow. Seems like replacing my oil cooler may have also fixed my oil leak I had developed before the turbo went out; as I mentioned earlier in the thread I was able to take the connector bolt/tube off by hand without any use of a ratchet, so I think it had come loose and was the source of my oil loss. Here's hoping!

Car seems to be running very smoothly again though, so that makes me happy. Will check back in again after I replace the one coolant hose.

Archived