LegacyGT.com

Fourth generation recommendations

My 96 Legacy L with 351,000+ miles on it just lost reverse. I can't justify spending more on it. Kinda sucks cause I just replaced entire A/C system last week. Entire suspension has been upgraded. SMH. Time to part it out.

I love Subarus. I want a version with 200+ Horsepower. My budget is less than $5000. What are some fair price expectations on this generation.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Not much to get for 5k. A lgt with low miles and needing a turbo could be had, but that's not without whatever else comes with that...new short block, head work, seal kit, and it gets extensive from there. Not trying to run you off of this goal. Maybe a non turbo 4th Gen is something. They can be found for around the amount you speak of.

You consider buying another 96-98 legacy and put in all the cool stuff you spent working hard to make usable into it? With that budget it's very doable.

Buying another 96-98? Not really. It would be easier to swap tranny than to swap suspension, brakes, JDM lights with FX-R bixenon projectors, audio, A/C system, Hornblaster train horns, 300 amp DC Power alternator

Near me 5k would get you a very questionable GT. After doing some searches it seems the market is definitely more affordable in Virginia. There seem to be a number of examples close to or slightly over that budget mostly autos in the mid 100k's for mileage.

Affording the upkeep or any turbo/engine failure is another matter entirely from that of purchasing the car. This generation isn't known for the same level of reliability as earlier models. There are banjo bolt oil feed issues causing turbo failure and later engine failure if not properly addressed. This could easily be $5k in repair...They also have a history of burning valves on the stock tune. There's plenty of other little quirks with this generation. Just search this forum and soak it all in.

Now the fire and brimstone is over. These really can be fun reliable cars (for the most part) if well looked after. I would suggest a compression/leakdown test if you can to get an idea of the general health of the engine before purchase. Also anything with a brand new turbo should be a red flag. Chances are the last one contaminated the oil when it went and the block is soon to follow, but not till the new owner takes possession. Just be picky and wait for the right one.

Is that budget $5k out the door or $5k entry fee to the most fun adventure you could ever be taken on with a 4 gen LGT? I pretty much got my 4 gen 2 years into it's build date and have been fixing on it since. VA seemed to treat it better before I moved back to Ohio.

I bought a real nice 98 legacy for $2200 a few years back - great little reliable car. ... you can find some reasonable 4th gen NA legacies in my area for $5k but the turbos are closer to 10 for anything worth owning, unless you're very mechanically inclined.

As hinted, you'll need 5 grand to replace the shortblock in most any cheap 4th Legacy GT you find after buying the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have seen a few 4th gen GTs that cheap around here. I live not far from you in MD. But as others have said they will likely be in kinda rough shape. You can find a 2.5i all day in that price range.

Just thinking about buying some stranger's 10-year-old (or older) turbo Subie makes me shudder. Way too much potential for unpleasant surprises.

Unless you find one from here that has its history.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just thinking about buying some stranger's 10-year-old (or older) turbo Subie makes me shudder. Way too much potential for unpleasant surprises.

Getting a 2013 off lease anything is getting to be a bit questionable.

• 9 months later...

Final update.

I was searching for a 6 cylinder. Trying to get an Outback sedan. Everything decent was $7,000+. I saw a black 2005 Outback LLBean Edition H6 wagon with 161,000 miles for $3,000 on Ebay. Looked fairly decent. Just for shits-n-giggles, I bid on it.

The 5 days that were left on the bid expired with no other bidders.

It's mine now.

I have no regrets about getting a wagon over a sedan.

I love it. I ran out of stuff to do on the last car.

Still needs some front struts and mounts. I'd love to re-flash the rom to control the horrible shifting transmission.

I love the power of the 2.5GT, but I would be just as happy if not more with a 6 cylinder, had those been sold with a manual in the US.

When mine acts up, I open the hood, swear at it, become paranoid that it's going to need a new bottom end, and then start mumbling about buying a 3.6L engine to solve all of it's nonsense. Then the car behaves better for a couple days, at least in my mind.

Archived