LegacyGT.com

Andrew's DiySB Rebuild

What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?

• everything SILVER
    • everything RED
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's SILVER
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's RED
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's SILVER
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's RED

256 miles on the clock!

I got 19.346 mpg on my first full tank, which I'm very happy with considering how strange I've been driving during the break-in.

After work there were only about 4 drops worth of fluid on the ground under the motor, so I'm not really sure what's going on with my suspected leak. The fluid that dripped on the ground last night is still on the cardboard at home so I know it's not just water (dew) that accumulated on the car overnight.

Sent from inner space.

256 miles on the clock!

I got 19.346 mpg on my first full tank, which I'm very happy with considering how strange I've been driving during the break-in.

After work there were only about 4 drops worth of fluid on the ground under the motor, so I'm not really sure what's going on with my suspected leak. The fluid that dripped on the ground last night is still on the cardboard at home so I know it's not just water (dew) that accumulated on the car overnight.

Sent from inner space.

It sometimes takes a while for the accumulation from a simple leak to drain through the undercarriage. Maybe all you are seeing is the residuals from the coolant leak above the turbo.

One trick I learned from a diesel mechanic: after 'fixing' a leaking joint or hose connection, blow it off well with compressed air. Any new drops or wetness means it is still leaking, not just residual drainage from behind the hose/fitting. Also, spray around under the leak to distribute the mess -- it will either evaporate off without dripping, or coat things with a fine mist of oil, which also won't drip.

Since it's taking me forever to post my valve clearances... Red and green are the item numbers I assigned to the individual buckets. Blue is the final measured clearance (TB on) for each valve.

I was banking on a TB-off/TB-on difference of about 0.002", but obviously that didn't happen. I saw virtually no difference in valve clearance between TB-off/TB-on. I have the with/without TB clearances written down somewhere around here...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160930/0a4fd15ba76538c3139b504a03566565.jpg

Edited by StkmltS

495.9 miles on the rebuilt motor and I got 18.81 mpg out of my last tank of gas.

I haven't seen any more leaky puddles under the engine, but when I was messing with the neutral position sensor this past weekend it looked like the oil that was/is leaking was/is dripping from the lowest tranny bolt on the passenger side. The driver side was totally clean. I really hope it wasn't/isn't the front transmission seal ;)

Sent from inner space.

Edited by StkmltS

That's an easy differential (no pun intended). Gear oil smells awful, from all the sulphides. Nothing like engine oil. Take a sniff. You didn't have your half-shafts out, so leaking seals is a long shot.

Gear oil smells awful, from all the sulphides. Nothing like engine oil.

+1000. It makes me want to puke. As a matter of fact, last week I installed a new inner cv boot for the second time on the passenger side. Man the garage stunk so bad.

Yeah. Imagine this: when my car was shipped back from Europe to the east coast, the custom agents who inspected my car made a mess in the trunk. I had a bottle of transmission fluid in there that they crushed and it spilled everywhere. The car stunk for 6 months :mad: :mad:. Horrible.

Oil change #2 @ 109,682 (530.1 on the rebuilt motor). Another Mobile1 filter and 4.5 quarts of Quaker State 5w-30 dino. No measurable oil consumption between the first oil change and now.

I wiped off everything wet from oil underneath so that I can have an easier time finding the leak.

I treated myself to a couple spurts of boost today and it felt gooooood. Everything still feels and sounds good so I'm moving forward as planned... other than the drippy leak.

Time to measure and catalog all of the leftover buckets and send them back to their owner.

Sent from inner space.

Well, that's bad if you ask me! but again, I don't know if this figure is pure highway or mixed. FWIW, I get about 22 mpg (mixed driving) with the 06. But I push it hard quite often when I drive it :).

If I baby both cars and do pure highway driving, it will get easily above 25mpg. Best I ever got with the 06 was 30mpg. I still can't believe it, but average speed was 50mph..

The DP is re-wrapped and reinstalled. Burnt fiberglass "titanium-ish" exhaust wrap is disgusting stuff in case you're wondering. I'd do it again though.

Today I figured out what I'm going to do and I started running the wiring for my WBO2. I'm running a fused 12v wire from the battery to a SPDT relay, and a new ground wire from [near] the battery to [near] the relay because of my love for overkill. The relay will be triggered by 12v coming from the stock front O2 sensor connector. That wire/circut may be able to handle powering two O2 sensors, but I'd rather be cautious and never wonder if my car will catch on fire. Finally, the + and - power wires for the WBO2 controller will be connected directly to the relay. Ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom.

Sent from inner space.