LegacyGT.com

Andrew's DiySB Rebuild

What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?

• everything SILVER
    • everything RED
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's SILVER
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's RED
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's SILVER
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's RED

I know it's a little late for this, but if anyone else is looking to remove those philips screws holding the baffle plates on, this tool makes pretty quick work out of them. Set it to reverse, place it in the screw, and whack the back of it with a hammer.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I skipped the mysterious step #22 "water pipe" (pg.1779) for now and moved on to the oil and water pumps.

The oil pump is tq'd on to 4.7 ft/lbs with the oil seal, ultra grey, the black o-ring, two rubber gasket thingies, and ultra grey on three of the bolts.

The water pump is tq'd on to 8.9 ft/lbs (twice?) with ultra grey, a new gasket, the other rubber gasket thing, and the thermostat & new gasket.

They both went on fine but there's an odd gap between them that doesn't look correct. Both pumps are flat on the block but there's still a gap at the bottom. Thoughts?

1d1bd710146c358fcf08ae48560a971a.thumb.jpg.8fd47f3535adee56bd763e69e0570633.jpg

Edited by StkmltS
pic uploaded to server

Did you buy the replacement gasket? I bought the STI cast impeller pump and it didn't come with a new gasket for that area, so I used the one that came with the Gates TBK WP. The old gasket on the old pump was pretty "shrunk" by comparison.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Did you buy the replacement gasket? I bought the STI cast impeller pump and it didn't come with a new gasket for that area, so I used the one that came with the Gates TBK WP. The old gasket on the old pump was pretty "shrunk" by comparison.

Yes, it's new from the master gasket set. My water pump is the gates pump that I put on a few thousand miles ago.

The rubber strip is in there. There's pressure (compression) on that strip on the top and closer to the block, just not at the bottom.

Apparently I clogged the toilet a few hours ago because I went in to wash my hands and saw my "evidence of productivity" still floating around. Woopsies. No pictures this time :)

Edited by StkmltS

BTW - I just rechecked three 4th Gen FSMs and one STI FSM and could not find the TQ amounts for the water pipe. Believe I used the same torque values that I used on the water pump since, IIRC, these are the same size bolts.

If I find anything, I'll post it up.

The rubber strip is in there. There's pressure (compression) on that strip on the top and closer to the block, just not at the bottom.

Apparently I clogged the toilet a few hours ago because I went in to wash my hands and saw my "evidence of productivity" still floating around. Woopsies. No pictures this time :)

This documentation has gone on to a whole new level

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

:lol::lol:

You're correct after a closer review. You should be ok, I believe I had a similar gap.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I'd didn't worry about the torque on small common nuts and bolts, just snug them up and a little more. Use your head, your not trying to break them off.

Even that water pipe on top of the block, the O-rings seal, you don't need a lot of torque.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The literal bottom end is coming together.

Why the silver oil pan? My 4 year old daughter helped me sand down the rusty spots (with a die grinder!) so I let her choose the color. The streaks on the front of the pan are actually ripples in the metal.

62338bbb4c8a3afeb516bdf8e80ad6b8.thumb.jpg.0385c4208efea2d20b83ffb740715f43.jpg

fba0bb3fea7020cb7e49c79367495904.thumb.jpg.2f7a9873ce0cbf9bda495b97eed1dc38.jpg

a0563b17bc115545a74e63fc0a125faa.thumb.jpg.05c2d40312a6c6e425f3e10e9db475d5.jpg

Edited by StkmltS
pics uploaded to server

At some point in your build could you take pictures of #1 at TDC and the placement of the pistons in the other cylinders before you put the heads on.

If you'e read a few of the other threads, it might be nice to have real pictures.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Progress! It's weird but the pan looks like it has a dent in it In the pre-painted picture, it looks like it's caved-in on the right side above the base and below the flange. Optical illusion.

Looks good in silver.

I like your chalk drawings on the floor. ;)

I needed something to do while she was sanding the oil pan. Reminds me of the book "Bea & Mr. Jones" from Reading Rainbow. The dad and daughter switch places for a day and they each have a blast. It's a good book, but don't take my word for it...