LegacyGT.com

Dropping the RE92-getting some real A/S Tires Recommendations?

j255c

Im in the market for buying new tires. I have roughly 9500 miles on my car and am contemplating between the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S or the Kumho ECSTA ASX. I've been buying tires from the same place for over 10 years and can get pretty good deals on them. Obviosly i would choose the Avon Tech's but they are not available to any other tire dealership except for Tirerack. When i spoke to the guy ive been dealing with for my tires for the past 10 years he said the Continental ContiExtremeContact are noisy and wear rather quickly. So its a choice between the Pirelli's and Kumho's. What does the legacy crowd feel is better a/s tire. And yes i will be driving up to VT to go skiing this winter in my Legacy GT!

Thanks for your input.

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Dude get the nokians!! if you live in VT you will love their winter/snow performance and they kick butt in the wet as well..

Nothing but rave reviews on nasioc and other places i have found..

Decent price to if you jump into the members section for the "group buy"

The Pirelli's will spank the Kumho ASX's. The ASX has soft sidewalls.

Check this out from Tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/kumho_ecsta_asx.jsp

Other good tires are the Toyo Proxies 4. Great tractions...only complaints are some guys don't like the noise when turning...due to tread design and finding the right tire pressure.

Another is the Falken Ziex 512. Not the performer of the Pirelli or Toyo, but better winter grip.

http://1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Falken&tiremodel=Ziex+ZE%2D512

im telling you get the NOkian WR's all seasons..

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20044

user review from another forum..

http://snowtire.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9&highlight=nokian+wr

I did some research on the web and found that all of the tires meet ther Severe Winter Service standard. If a tire does not meet this, I don't bother looking much further.

Beyond that, all I can give is hearsay and personal opinion.

Personal Opinion: For real snow conditions, go with the Nokians. Having driven 8 other brands of snow tires in the past 3 years, I still think Nokian has a bit of an edge in both overall balance of the tire and snow performance. All of the other tires have been good, but the Nokians have been just a bit better.

Hearsay: All of the tires seem to be well spoken of. I can't find much direct comparison, but I did find several other voices that have converted to Nokian.

Pure Balderdash: Pirelli is from Italy, where it is warm. Bridgestone is from Japan where is temperate. Nokian is from Finland, where it is bitter cold. You draw your opinions from there. Smile

- John

If you're going to see serious snow, the Nokians would be my choice for top-contender as well.

It's going to be a trade-off against the Pirellis' dry-grip, but it really sounds like you'll need the sure-footedness in snow that the Nokians would offer.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

How can you even compare the Kuhmo to the Pirelli? They are in a totally different price range.

When I purchased my Kuhmo's I paid 126 per tire for 235/40 18 The Pirelli was almost 60 more per tire:eek:

Get the Kuhmos & spend your savings on a good set of springs:)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I had the Kumho's last year. They are okay, but nothing special compared to other choices out there. Tires.com has free shipping and a rebate on the Pirelli's right now....comes out to $$482 vs $$452 for the Kumho's in the size I need. I think $30 is worth it to get Pirelli vs. Kumho.

next Q is size. 215/40/18 is closest at 24.8 to the OE rolling diameter of 24.6 inches, so ther performance won't be affected. The more common 225/40/18 is 25.2 - tire weight is the same, so it's about cost and availability. Proxes 4 and PZero Nero M+S have both and price is about the same between sizes. Dry handling - a wider tire is better. Rain and snow - narrower would be more effective as the tendency to float is reduced. The last is load - stock tires are 1201lbs per corner. The Pirelli's are 1135lbs while the Proxes 4 are 1279lbs.

im telling you get the NOkian WR's all seasons..

I am curious how much of a downgrade in dry performance these are on a LGT in the summer. We had them on Civic previously and loved them but it was not a handler. I wonder if they are equivalent in the dry to the RE92's?

They are an absolute dream in winter or wet conditions.

had the pirelli zero neros installed this weekend, couldn't have asked for better conditions. Slipping on sliding on the ride there because w/ my re92's it was DUMPING rain, on the ride back gripping the road and smiling :).
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Archived