LegacyGT.com

Will some handsome Gent help me, please!!!

I don't have the codes....

But I know what is showing -

code 1- e.g.r. valve (replaced that earlier this week)

code 2- cam shaft sensor- done

The knock is scary...

Anything I can/should do beyond heavy oil? What weight should I pop in it in order to prolong the life?

- I used a stethoscope - noise is loudest on the top right of engine and - dun, dun, dun - under the oil pan. :mad:

P.S. Handsome - someone with mighty fine mechanical hands...what I meant.... Lol

Thanks MEN!

:D

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gwen, may I make a few commonly known safety suggestions for playtime in the engine bay....

1) remove jewelry

2) tie back hair

3) move slowly around moving parts while the engine is running.

I'd hate to see one of your fingers ripped off or that beautiful red hair ripped right out of your scalp while you're talking into the camera with the engine running.

;)

And how would I go about checking that Sir? Thanks for the help!

You could try dropping the oil pan, and inspecting the oil pickup unit. The pickup unit will have a screen on it, and if the screen filled with metal debris you have serious issues. Good indication of a bearing that is going to fail.

Here is an example of what that will eventually do:

This guy does very thorough machine shop videos, you can learn a lot by watching his channel.

Here goes Gentleman:

Man in Mukilteo- Wanna look at my engine tomorrow with me?

Today:

Drove around with new cam shaft sensor - stalled like crazy at idles over a minute - felt just like a cylinder misfire - thought that was shocking.

Check engine light back on...

Go to have code read - it's not longer the codes I've already fixed this week :

(aka - egr valve & cam shaft sensor)

Now it's reading cylinder misfire from #1,2,3, and 4

So I buy and put on an ignition coil

Drive the car for 10 miles (ish) - it doesn't stall but it's still acting like a misfire...

Get home, grumpy because the 2.5 engine is a piece of shit compared to the 96 2.2....and the 'effin spark plugs are at the bottom of the engine -

Spend an hour to get to plug #2 (the only one I can pull without lifting the engine)

It's not black, it's not "brand new" but doesn't look too dirty.

So....

Now what?!

The stall is my #1 issue - I'm going to pay a mechanic to get into the engine and figure out the knock once I have the stall fixed up.

It was such a bummer tho, my sons missed out on Kung Fu & getting their new belts because my car was misfiring.

Thanks Sir(s) - you've all been most helpful.

P.S. In case anyone wonders - yes I put the cables on in the correct order with the Ignition Coil, I'm not a moron.

;)

fuel pump? how many miles are on the car? if the problem is now affecting all cylinders it should help narrow down the issues. Are they temporary codes or constant? Some cels are just logged or one instance and aren't actually permanent until fixed or constant. But if every time it stalls, it causes all 4 to miss fire then it could be a bunch of things. But its either spark, mechanical, fuel or air....

Fuel and air are easy to test, spark is a bit more involved, mechanical can be simple to horrible.

does it only stall at idle? does it lose power or have issues at any other point while driving, is it during acceleration, a certain rpm, random, etc.?

Doctors don't cure cancer with "my tummy hurts" , internet diagnosing needs lots and lots and lots and lots of simple yet crucial details!!

Honestly I'd take it to someone and have them at least figure out what is wrong instead of dumping money into parts hoping to chase away problems. Will probably be faster and cheaper in the long run

Sent from somewhere in Potatoland

I don't have the codes....

But I know what is showing -

code 1- e.g.r. valve (replaced that earlier this week)

code 2- cam shaft sensor- done

The knock is scary...

Anything I can/should do beyond heavy oil? What weight should I pop in it in order to prolong the life?

- I used a stethoscope - noise is loudest on the top right of engine and - dun, dun, dun - under the oil pan. :mad:

P.S. Handsome - someone with mighty fine mechanical hands...what I meant.... Lol

Thanks MEN!

:D

Follow the video I posted, don't be throwing parts at it. Subarus are NOT know for rod knock, the ARE known for piston slap and leaky timing belt tensioners and if your timing jumped, you would get the results you are experiencing.

I didn't think you were, I was actually talking about the guy spending so much time researching me...Matty?

But, hey thanks for letting me know that link was up - it was from 3 years ago. I have since hired a lawyer, paid him over 10 grand in my own cash and am still the sole custodial parent.

My sons could kick you ass too.

They might be 6 & 5 but they could certainly kick you in the head.

Here goes Gentleman:

Man in Mukilteo- Wanna look at my engine tomorrow with me?

Today:

Drove around with new cam shaft sensor - stalled like crazy at idles over a minute - felt just like a cylinder misfire - thought that was shocking.

Check engine light back on...

Go to have code read - it's not longer the codes I've already fixed this week :

(aka - egr valve & cam shaft sensor)

Now it's reading cylinder misfire from #1,2,3, and 4

So I buy and put on an ignition coil

Drive the car for 10 miles (ish) - it doesn't stall but it's still acting like a misfire...

Get home, grumpy because the 2.5 engine is a piece of shit compared to the 96 2.2....and the 'effin spark plugs are at the bottom of the engine -

Spend an hour to get to plug #2 (the only one I can pull without lifting the engine)

It's not black, it's not "brand new" but doesn't look too dirty.

So....

Now what?!

The stall is my #1 issue - I'm going to pay a mechanic to get into the engine and figure out the knock once I have the stall fixed up.

It was such a bummer tho, my sons missed out on Kung Fu & getting their new belts because my car was misfiring.

Thanks Sir(s) - you've all been most helpful.

P.S. In case anyone wonders - yes I put the cables on in the correct order with the Ignition Coil, I'm not a moron.

;)

no. 1)im not a leg humper. 2) i have a SO. 3) i drove to PIA to get throttle cleaned.

you seem to be much more fearless than i. i narrowed down what i thought would be causing my brake shake and throttle anomalies. then i let the shop do the work.

about 1 month ago my car had full on misfires. engine died for the first time. i believe now it was the 4 gallons of chevron mukilteo gas. 2 cans of berrymen b12 and then bg 44k. car feels great.

if your suddenly started doing it as mine did id suspect something similar.

how is the oil looking? does it burn? if so at what amount? coolant loss? coolant color look ok?

the knock you have ive been thinking about. i think the oil pan is acting as a sound amplifier. like when you cup your hands to yell.

you said sound is coming from front right as you are facing the engine? sounds like something heavy or with some mass hitting something? im no mechanic but finding the general area and then pin pointing the exact area can be extremely helpful.

others have stated the pulley. you should check youtube for the pulley symptoms and see if your is similar. if the sound is located the same area. same pitch.

side note...i thought you were messing with people. but the speed you installed the battery said otherwise.

well played on the psyche of the boys here. haha.

I didn't think you were, I was actually talking about the guy spending so much time researching me...Matty?

But, hey thanks for letting me know that link was up - it was from 3 years ago. I have since hired a lawyer, paid him over 10 grand in my own cash and am still the sole custodial parent.

My sons could kick you ass too.

They might be 6 & 5 but they could certainly kick you in the head.

So much time? Yeah I wasted a good 10sec of my life on a Google search... and the following 5min laughing while reading. If am not mistaken you message me your number last night at 11pm in my inbox ;)

So much time? Yeah I wasted a good 10sec of my life on a Google search... and the following 5min laughing while reading. If am not mistaken you message me your number last night at 11pm in my inbox ;)

Yes, after you emailed me your #, then you called & texted & posted up here mocking me when I didn't answer or return your call...

Sorry you were so bothered that it created such a strong reaction on your end to post about my sons!!

And no, I won't be returning your call or email.

Thanks for all the good info Men, much appreciated (mostly).

Enjoy the day!

Cheers.

:rolleyes:

Archived