LegacyGT.com

Accessport V3 Cutting Out Under WOT

I've been looking around on the forums and have seen that this is a common issue with the Accessport V3s. I've also read that people fixed the issue by using a different cable? I don't know what cable they are talking about and I'm not very mechanically skilled/knowledgeable. All I really know is that its a usb cable of some sorts? If someone would be able to show me which cable they are talking about in this thread that would be very much appreciated!

Thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/accessport-keeps-cutting-out-wot-202461.html

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

I think I was part of that thread. But you need to get a usb with a voltage regulator on it called a ferret choke.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-15-Feet-Mini-B-Ferrite-105450/dp/B002KL8N6A/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1461802640&sr=8-10&keywords=mini+usb

But what do I do with it? I'm just confused on where it goes and how it goes into my OBD2 port and connects with my car. I'm sorry I'm pretty new to wiring. My only guess is that I plug it into the side of my AP? Then where do I plug the USB side into?

i've got a V2 with the pin connector and tried new cable from cobb and a ferret thing and nothing helps...left the car at a subaru tuner shop for a week and they're 100% stumped

we threw the car up on the dyno and could only get an uninterrupted run maybe 3 times out of 15 pulls

drives me crazy

-Brett

I fought this on my car. Clean your battery terminals and ALL of the grounding points on the car.

Good idea. The grounds can cause lots of nagging issues.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

you could try reaching out to cobb directly. they have a debugging mode to enable then send them the info for troubleshooting. I've had to do this with the auto on/off feature when that first came out on the v3. worth a try?

I fought this on my car. Clean your battery terminals and ALL of the grounding points on the car.

Good idea. The grounds can cause lots of nagging issues.

This. A ferrite choke won't do much. You likely just have bad ground connections, causing a noisy ground which interferes with the AP at higher loads.

I have the same problem on my V2 Accessport. I think it is related to the firmware updates they recently made because mine used to never do it, and the forum never had complaints. Until about a year ago, now my AP does it on every big pull. Yes, super frustrating. An interesting thing to note is when my laptop is hooked up using AccessTuner Race, it doesn't cut off.

I cleaned both terminals at the battery. The straps from head to chassis. The ground at the starter. I also added a ground to my Killer B header and a ground to the turbo/DP because I added a second wbo2 sensor.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I had this same problem with my V3 AP, it drove me nuts! I contacted Cobb, they had me doan load the newest FW, then when that didn't work they had me send it in for them to check out. They couldn't find anything wrong, but they did a full reset and sent it back. When it came back from Cobb it was no longer married to my car but they had saved all my pro tune maps. I re-married it up and IT NEVER CUT OUT AGAIN!! SUCCESS! I just paid for shipping it back to Cobb, they didn't charge me anything for the "reset" and shipped it back for free!

I'd definitely recommend you start a trouble ticket with Cobb customer service they were very helpful, especially once they saw the video I sent them showing what was going on with it!

Here's a link to the video I sent them...

Hopefully they can help you figure it out!

I had this same problem with my V3 AP, it drove me nuts! I contacted Cobb, they had me doan load the newest FW, then when that didn't work they had me send it in for them to check out. They couldn't find anything wrong, but they did a full reset and sent it back. When it came back from Cobb it was no longer married to my car but they had saved all my pro tune maps. I re-married it up and IT NEVER CUT OUT AGAIN!! SUCCESS! I just paid for shipping it back to Cobb, they didn't charge me anything for the "reset" and shipped it back for free!

I'd definitely recommend you start a trouble ticket with Cobb customer service they were very helpful, especially once they saw the video I sent them showing what was going on with it!

Here's a link to the video I sent them...

Hopefully they can help you figure it out!

I already did this, and they sent me back my accessport with everything I had still on it and it did not help my problem out at all =/

I have the same problem on my V2 Accessport. I think it is related to the firmware updates they recently made because mine used to never do it, and the forum never had complaints. Until about a year ago, now my AP does it on every big pull. Yes, super frustrating. An interesting thing to note is when my laptop is hooked up using AccessTuner Race, it doesn't cut off.

This may be because the computer powers the AP when you're plugged into the laptop (instead of the noisy OBDII port).

This may be because the computer powers the AP when you're plugged into the laptop (instead of the noisy OBDII port).

So in other words, if I get a use port converter from my cigarette lighter and kept the accessport powered with that as well it would shut off?

So in other words, if I get a use port converter from my cigarette lighter and kept the accessport powered with that as well it would shut off?

If it is a generic cheap converter, it's possible it wouldn't do anything since it would still use the same COM (i.e. the car's ground). I put custom-built isolated 5V power supplies in my car specifically for the purpose of supplying clean power to my MP3 player such that I wouldn't get any ground loops or alternator whine in my audio feed. It's possible that doing something similar to power your AP via USB would help, but I can't say for certain, since I have no idea what the power circuitry inside of the AP looks like.

If it is a generic cheap converter, it's possible it wouldn't do anything since it would still use the same COM (i.e. the car's ground). I put custom-built isolated 5V power supplies in my car specifically for the purpose of supplying clean power to my MP3 player such that I wouldn't get any ground loops or alternator whine in my audio feed. It's possible that doing something similar to power your AP via USB would help, but I can't say for certain, since I have no idea what the power circuitry inside of the AP looks like.

So I guess my question still is, where and what will that usb cord do for me? Will I use it just as I described before with the usb cord and the cigarette lighter?

I get this occasionally, like once in 100 miles. Usually don't see it happen but I can tell that it does, because the min/max values are reset. Newish manifold to frame ground, but I haven't checked the starter, or cleaned my battery terminals in a while.
LW's spec. B / YT / IG

I should have probably mentioned before that the service technician from Cobb told me...

"To be totally honest, I don't think there is anything wrong with the Accessport. The issue is likely somewhere in the wiring in the car or the OBD2 cable for the AP. I reprogrammed the AP to be like new and transferred all your data back on to it, and I am also sending it out with a new cable. Try it out, and if you're still having the same issues, I'd recommend getting your grounds/wiring around the OBD2 port checked as 9/10 times when experiencing this issue, that's the problem."

I went through the diagrams today and was able to trace the grounds from the OBD2 port all the way back to one single grounding location under the hood, you'll see on the diagram that they are highlighted in orange. From looking at the image, I believe the location of this ground "GE-1" is on the back of the drivers side TGV assembly. I believe there are actually two ground terminals on the back of the TGV assembly there. I'd recommend that you take both of these terminals off, abrasive clean the terminals and the mating surface of TGV with either scotch brite (red/maroon) or fine grit sand paper, then clean both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol and re-install/torque. Then if you wanted you could probably apply some liquid electrical tape to ensure that they remain corrosion free for a long time to come.

Please let me know if this helps!

2119137103_05LegacyGTOBD2GroundDiagram.thumb.jpg.d129984fac72e61d92d9d3cdd3d6cfff.jpg

767259075_05LegacyGTOBD2GroundLocation.jpg.e937bee43727fcc0f502d4a3cf4e39bf.jpg

Good work elgin. I'm pretty certain that will help the majority of people with this problem.

On second thought, using a USB cable hooked up to a cigarette lighter USB adapter might actually help, in that it will supply another path to GND to the AP. If this path to GND is lower impedance than the one at the OBD-II port (likely, if the connectors are corroded, etc.), then it might eliminate your AP disconnection issues.

Good work elgin. I'm pretty certain that will help the majority of people with this problem.

On second thought, using a USB cable hooked up to a cigarette lighter USB adapter might actually help, in that it will supply another path to GND to the AP. If this path to GND is lower impedance than the one at the OBD-II port (likely, if the connectors are corroded, etc.), then it might eliminate your AP disconnection issues.

Alright, I think I'll try the usb cable and then if that doesn't work I'll just try and clean the grounds. Thanks guys!

Archived