LegacyGT.com

Can a 2.5 i get tuned?

chefdrew

I have been told 2 different version's

Can a 2012 subary legacy 2.5i be tuned?

It is not a gt.i have the takeda cold air intake. I have the exhaust pipes at 2.5 inches with 2 borla mufflers.

Whats is a fair rate per hour?

Any thoughts? Is it worth it??

Considering how picky these cars are to intakes you should definitely get retuned for it. If not to gain power, then to safe your motor from leaning out.

Most etuners charge $150 per for couple revisions for GT guys, I'm sure it will be about the same for NA. You'll need a Tactrix cable or a Cobb though.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

A majority of tuning shops are going to charge you somewhere in the $300-500 range if you want to get protuned. Given that your car is a 2012, I don't know how many open source options there are to tune your car but there may be an e-tuner out there that can do something for you.

When I got tuned or want to get re-tuned in the future I look at how much I am paying per HP gain on modifications I am doing.

I just got protuned over the weekend on my WRX and I gained 55 HP. All the modifications I got tuned for cost me about 1200 including the tune and that came out to $24/hp.

Say you get tuned for your intake and your ECU and you gain 5-10hp, you pay $300 for the tune. Thats anywhere from $30-35/hp. That's for you to decide if it's worth it to you or not.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been thinking about this also after reading posts by that ThrottleHappy guy down under. Altogether around $350USD, and while some power gains are made, it sounds like the big improvement to drivability is the tuning of the cvt. Has anyone here had their 6th gen legacy 2.5 tuned??

I've been thinking about this also after reading posts by that ThrottleHappy guy down under. Altogether around $350USD, and while some power gains are made, it sounds like the big improvement to drivability is the tuning of the cvt. Has anyone here had their 6th gen legacy 2.5 tuned??

I was going to suggest a path but knowing you have a CVT I would suggest just not spending the money. Im all for the 2.5i but the non-HD CVT 2.5i isnt ideal for anything but how FHI designed it from the factory.

But you could always tighten up the suspension :)

I felt the difference when i had the exhaust done. When the intake was put on, i felt it slightly. Theres a place called RT Tuning in montgomeryville, pa. Some guy named andy who worked for cobb & has became quite talked about around here. I plan on doing the tune sometine this summer. Iam so curios!!!

this thread has alot of "no do goodery" and is very comical to a certain extent. but does contain people who tune N/a and what is currently being ran on the vehicle.

check it out but definitely skim through the posts badgering the poor guy. like its said alot around here don't feed the trolls.

Lol are you really bringing that thread up? The OP has done nothing but say "hey I got my car tuned and man it feels awesome!!" With no data to go along with it, or a price from said etuner with no accreditations from any well known tuning network.

you already know the data to go along with it... its slightly better than stock or maybe just the same. you know its louder so that means its fast, and his bumper stickers ad a few hp's.

that thread shows you how to properly set up for preforming a butt dyno and how to interpret the results.

it also has some positive criticism like you wont find yourself more than 5hp without bigger cams which might only get you 15-20hp anyway.

back to this thread though

can you tune N/A?

yes but you need bigger cams to see any sort of return. throttle response is what will change with just bolt on mods.

should you?

you are the only one that can make that choice. i have a hobby similar to others in this forum and that is spending money for fun. if you would like to spend the money to get a better feeling car than stock, go for it. it will be fun for you and you will have an enjoyable ride. but just don't post about how much faster your car is and videos of your street racing antics. post up actual data logs or a dyno to prove how your car has changed before and after or else nobody will believe you.

Any stock car could use a tune and gain at least a little power. That's because factory tunes are build for thousands of cars, as we know no two engines are identical.

I really don't understand the hate for NA cars being tuned on here. NA builds are never cheap and gains are much less, but I will say gaining even 1hp on NA car is more satisfying then gaining 10hp on FI car.

I personally will be retuning my NA outback to make it more enjoyable around town. But I guess the difference is, I wont be spending $500 for 5whp.

22 Ascent STOCK

Any stock car could use a tune and gain at least a little power. That's because factory tunes are build for thousands of cars, as we know no two engines are identical.

I really don't understand the hate for NA cars being tuned on here. NA builds are never cheap and gains are much less, but I will say gaining even 1hp on NA car is more satisfying then gaining 10hp on FI car.

I personally will be retuning my NA outback to make it more enjoyable around town. But I guess the difference is, I wont be spending $500 for 5whp.

That's about it. The benefit/cost ratio is just too low. I'd even say objectively, it's too low, but that may be too definitive. A couple hp is within the noise floor of a dyno measurement, and I don't believe anyone has a butt-dyno precise enough to be able to measure a couple extra ponies at peak output. That said, a bump in non-peak power/torque is always a plus, as well as fuel efficiency, response, and drivability. But I just don't think dropping the money on a tune for a marginal increase in the latter is worth it, for most people.

100% agree, but I will say we are lucky because we have stock turbo cars that can make 30whp by just updating a tune.

I personally started with building NA cars before building turbo cars, thus I understand that everything NA will cost you dearly. $550 for cams that give you ~15whp, $500 for ECU that gives you 5whp peak (all coming from forcing you to use 93 gas honestly).

I don't disagree that cost wise it's not worth it, I disagree with people telling people not to have fun and modify cars just because they are not turbo. Sad reality is, most cars are not turbo and Subaru is really pushing away their turbo car lines, so eventually even the Legacy crowd might be faced with the costs of NA world.

22 Ascent STOCK

IME I can usually get 5% out an n/a model and on a good day / with the right model, maybe 10%. If the owner came to me looking for more power, that will not satisfy him for long. I tell them up front they bought the wrong car and should put my fees towards buying the right one. In the short term I lost some business but when they go buy the GT or XT they should have started with, they come right back to me.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

right, with a turbo platform your tuning options are endless and there's always something you can do to get more power. Albeit it's a money pit but honestly, if you're into tuning cars and what not, you should have done your due diligence before you bought your non turbo car.

Archived