LegacyGT.com

Gates Timing Belt Kit's Are No longer OEM Like

We deal with it by having access to an amazing supplier. One who buys so much volume they are able to import directly from Japan and then sell to us at or below dealer cost. It took 7 years for my shop to do enough volume to buy from them. But now I can get all the OEM parts for about $40 more than a Gates kit costs me (at my wholesale costs). Hence being able to offer my customers the full OEM set up with no increased cost.

I charge $775 (turbo car) parts, labor and tax (out the door) for a full timing belt service. Labor, belt, tensioner, idlers, water pump, t-stat, coolant, coolant conditioner and accessory belts. $745 for a non-turbo car. Combine the timing belt service with the 90k service and I give a $50 discount (not going to charge twice for the coolant).

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We deal with it by having access to an amazing supplier. One who buys so much volume they are able to import directly from Japan and then sell to us at or below dealer cost. It took 7 years for my shop to do enough volume to buy from them. But now I can get all the OEM parts for about $40 more than a Gates kit costs me (at my wholesale costs). Hence being able to offer my customers the full OEM set up with no increased cost.

I charge $775 (turbo car) parts, labor and tax (out the door) for a full timing belt service. Labor, belt, tensioner, idlers, water pump, t-stat, coolant, coolant conditioner and accessory belts. $745 for a non-turbo car. Combine the timing belt service with the 90k service and I give a $50 discount (not going to charge twice for the coolant).

Damn I wish I was closer to you...but the 3000 mile drive one way kind of makes it not worth it.

;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Have you considered selling those hand put together timing kits?

I have. But for the past 18 months I have been focusing on growing the shop, not online parts sales. At this point I am doing less than $5k per month average on line. Down from over $100k per month in 2015. So, I have very little motivation to put together the kits and ship them out. Chances are if I did so, others would quickly follow suite. Then I would be left with a boat load of inventory as the sales would disappear.

This same scenario has happened to me more than once already.

If someone needs a kit, they can always PM, email or call the shop and I will do my very best to assist.

To the mods, I was not looking to push sales in this thread. I was trying to provide info to support the community.

775 seems really cheap. I payed close to 1200 I think for that service (water pump included). But I am pretty sure all OEM parts were used and I had to pay the Bay area mark-up.

I think if I lived near you I would have done significantly less of my own work :D

The West Coast is expensive! I had my car at the dealership for recall work and they recommended a timing belt. They said $400 before any other parts. I'd estimate they would have tacked on an extra $500 in pulleys, accessory belts and probably a water pump. I guess they didn't see the sticker under the hood. I just did the job last year and within the last 10k miles. Aisin kit, Bando accessory belts and t-stat for under $300.

• 3 months later...
I'm honestly getting to the same point, I'll try the ASIN kit next time, and if they don't work out I'll start doing what mr sprank does.

Makes me wonder how all these small time repair shops deal with this.

I keep hearing everyone reference the AISIN kit, but it doesn't look like they have a kit for the 06-09 2.5i. What parts number are 4th gen 2.5i owners using from AISIN?

Aisin.

OEM part number:

21111AA280

Aisin part number:

WPF-025

What's interesting about this is Aisin uses the same water pump part # for the 2010-2012 2.5is as well. This would lead me to believe that the timing belt kit for the 2010 should fit my 2006 as over the years the water pumps seem to be the only big changes on the SOHC cars. Can anyone confirm that the Aisin TKF-006 will fit a 2006-2009 EJ253 based on the fact the the water pump replacement from Aisin is the same?

What's interesting about this is Aisin uses the same water pump part # for the 2010-2012 2.5is as well. This would lead me to believe that the timing belt kit for the 2010 should fit my 2006 as over the years the water pumps seem to be the only big changes on the SOHC cars. Can anyone confirm that the Aisin TKF-006 will fit a 2006-2009 EJ253 based on the fact the the water pump replacement from Aisin is the same?

Are those two kits the same part number for both years?

This is to important to go with a maybe, or I think it will fit.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I am indeed aware of that, and am not suggesting anyone use the TKF-006 if they have an 06-09. I was just trying to figure out what the difference between the 2010 and the 06-09 models really is. They use the same length belt with the same number of teeth, same idlers, same tensioners and apparently water pump. However it looks like they use different belt styles (Curvilinear teeth vs. modified curvilinear teeth)

I purchased the Aisin TKF004 last week and installed it in my 07 LGT. Paid ~$320 on rockauto.

Nice parts, all Japanese bearings and a Mitsuboshi belt. Waterpump was also Japanese, though I forget the manufacturer.

Needle-nose locking pliers (use light force) are a godsend for the job, it is otherwise quite straightforward. Make sure to double and triple check ALL timing marks (cellphone camera is handy if you don't remove the secondary air injection canister above the A/C compressor) and you should be golden.

I also used the Aisin TKF004 from RockAuto. Seems like good quality parts. HOWEVER - I was missing one of the four pulleys unbeknownst to me. It was several months after I purchased it before I did the install. Had to do an emergency run to the dealer to get the missing pulley. Subaru charged me $100 for the pulley. RockAuto only gave me $20 for my troubles. Check the kit when you get it!

...Had to do an emergency run to the dealer to get the missing pulley. Subaru charged me $100 for the pulley...
I found if you are on good terms with the parts counter man, they will often try to match the online price if you ask. I go prepared with the parts list and prices and they were pretty nice about it, and marked down the "internet discount" for me.

For others looking for dealer parts, it seems most dealers sell on line at the same discounts, here's my local dealership.

http://www.suburbansubaru.com/buy-subaru-parts.htm

So after reading all this I am still confused. What is the consensus? My car is a 2006 Legacy GT. Are the cams seals necessary at 105,000 miles?

Cam seals are outside of the scope of this thread. With that said, why not if you have a lot of extra time. Just be ready to struggle with the cam bolts (10mm Allen Key bolts), they are really on and strip easily.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Cam seals are outside of the scope of this thread. With that said, why not if you have a lot of extra time. Just be ready to struggle with the cam bolts (10mm Allen Key bolts), they are really on and strip easily.

Well, some kits come with the seals, that's why I asked.

Well, some kits come with the seals, that's why I asked.

That's weird, guess I haven't ran into those kits. Unless they are identical to OEM I wouldn't really trust those seals (bad history with aftermarket seals in general). Plus OEM's are like $5 a pop.

Anyway, I have a how to thread for replacing the cam/crank oil seals right here.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived