LegacyGT.com

Inferno Fabrication 2.5i UEL Kit

The 'gain' is the blub-blub sound. The OE EL header is very efficient.

My understanding is that the WRX blub blub sound is due to uneven length (UEL) headers combined with the firing order for the cylinders.

You won't get the blub blub on modern boxer (FB) engines even if you install UEL headers as the firing order has been changed.

The UEL headers are generally less efficient and worse performing than the EL headers on the FB engine. So it would be a backwards step and you still won't get the boxer rumble.

If you can't find a set of aftermarket EL headers, I'd recommend getting a set custom built on your car. Pricing shouldn't be too much different either.

This is what I had fabricated up for my car:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160121/94a0aa3e49dd5003c8762bc89674dff4.jpg

It' a lot freer flowing design compared to the OEM headers:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160121/c4a38283736bee4d75ab8e7c94175183.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firing order doesn't matter, it's still a single-plane crank. I've heard Civics and Lancers with UELs that sounded very much like an old WRX.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

My understanding is that the WRX blub blub sound is due to uneven length (UEL) headers combined with the firing order for the cylinders.

You won't get the blub blub on modern boxer (FB) engines even if you install UEL headers as the firing order has been changed.

The UEL headers are generally less efficient and worse performing than the EL headers on the FB engine. So it would be a backwards step and you still won't get the boxer rumble.

If you can't find a set of aftermarket EL headers, I'd recommend getting a set custom built on your car. Pricing shouldn't be too much different either.

This is what I had fabricated up for my car:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160121/94a0aa3e49dd5003c8762bc89674dff4.jpg

It' a lot freer flowing design compared to the OEM headers:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160121/c4a38283736bee4d75ab8e7c94175183.jpg

Nice fab work is that one big piece header and midpipe?

Forgot about the Borla UEL for the BRZ/FRS that would def be closer "making it work" than the Inferno for sure. The stock manifold is very very good at its job given the CFM that moves through a stock N/A FB or EJ engines. On the dyno you'll notice the stock EL out performs any of the UEL headers across the power band (for the 2.5i assuming stock everything else) with the CVT only 15-16 2.5i, not sure one would tell the loss of 7 hp or a gain for that matter.

Why? The UEL doesnt scavenge as efficiently as the EL, assuming nothing changes induction wise (cams, fueling, timing, porting, etc) your engine is pulling in the same amount of air, roughly, with any header you put on. The real difference is which configuration exhausts waste gases the best. More bad gases out of the combustion chamber mean more fuel/air in and more power per bang...more or less :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

My God!!!! THIS is exactly what I want on my 09 Special Edition. It sounds beautiful bro, I don't know anything about exhausts but my uncle knows alot. Definitely going to subscribe, hey I might buy it one day.

Sent from my Note 5

My God!!!! THIS is exactly what I want on my 09 Special Edition. It sounds beautiful bro, I don't know anything about exhausts but my uncle knows alot. Definitely going to subscribe, hey I might buy it one day.

Sent from my Note 5

Well thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...
Thinking about the Inferno Fabrications 2.5i UEL system... I am trying to learn about the exhaust on my car. Currently have stock exhaust and it sounds horrible with leaks, etc. I understand the stock cat converter is part of the exhaust manifold. Looking at the pipe between the exhaust manifold and the rear y-pipe piece...is that another cat converter or a muffler or...? Thanks guys.

Thinking about the Inferno Fabrications 2.5i UEL system... I am trying to learn about the exhaust on my car. Currently have stock exhaust and it sounds horrible with leaks, etc. I understand the stock cat converter is part of the exhaust manifold. Looking at the pipe between the exhaust manifold and the rear y-pipe piece...is that another cat converter or a muffler or...? Thanks guys.

Generally the catalytic converter is right after the manifold then there will be a resonator towards the middle and after the rear wheels would be the mufflers. Sounds like you're looking at the resonator. Basically removes the rasp of the exhaust and quiets it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be the second catalytic converter.

This is about inferno but not he UEL headers. Does anyone know if the test pipe would fit the 15' Legacy?

I'll have to email him and see what he says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of the current offerings will fit the 15+ 2.5i the test pipes are made to fit the header OR made to fit the Impreza.

None of the current offerings will fit the 15+ 2.5i the test pipes are made to fit the header OR made to fit the Impreza.

The issue isn't if it could be made that is the easy part it really boils down to if there is a 15+ 2.5i near the shop to build and test fit the pipe.

• 4 weeks later...
So im on their website and i dont see anything about a cat pipe for a legacy... how do you get that?

Their cat-pipes are made for older Subaru and as part of their 2.5i kit. However the 08-12 Impreza and the 06-11 Legacy 2.5i share the same cat-pipe. Chris can build anything so shoot him a email and ask :)

I am able to make my own cat pipe tho im just not to sure about doing it myself yet.. i have a brand new flowmaster cat sitting in my closet already so im debating if i should just weld up my own pipe with that.. but ive never done something like that before... any input?

I am able to make my own cat pipe tho im just not to sure about doing it myself yet.. i have a brand new flowmaster cat sitting in my closet already so im debating if i should just weld up my own pipe with that.. but ive never done something like that before... any input?

Well keep in mind the secondary cat being there or not wont really make a difference in performance, it will make it louder if you remove the actual cat and replace it with straight pipe but to replace it with another cat does nothing. The only reason his kit has a custom cat-pipe is purely due to the design of the header.

IF all you want is custom cat pipe chop out the stock cat and replace it with a length of pipe :)

Well i "need" at least one cat right? Lol and getting headers means id need that one in the downpipe correct? I dont want CEL on after im done.. idk if thats even possible with headers on the NA model without a tune

You have 1 its part of the stock manifold and you dont have a down pipe unless you have a turbo :)

Lol well whatever i meant like that middle pipe.. cat pipe.. down pipe.. you know!! But dont headers replace the stock exhuast manifold? Never done them on a subie so maybe they got some weird shit goin on idk im slightly confused now

• 1 month later...
Yeah he told me he was working on a revised unit a few months ago, Im very happy to see a all-in-one UEL I think that will sell strongly as there has been a vacuum created by Rallisports demise. Ill be buying one of the first headers produced :)

I'm about to order the old design. This new one looks super nice but I need a new cat section anyway :shrug:

If you want to save some money, I have one for sale in the classifieds. Barely used, reason is I just sold my Legacy. I miss that rumble..

Archived