LegacyGT.com

When did the fourth generation Legacy lose its cool factor?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's be honest, the 05-09 LGT's aren't cool anymore.

When exactly did the fourth gen lose its cool factor?

It's just...

too old

As soon as you posted this thread. Quantum kitty in a box... I suppose the 22B isn't cool anymore, either? Too old? Freakin' noobs :spin:

For real though, the 4th gens are and will always be "cooler" than the 5th or 6th gens, in the same way that the 98-01 2.5RS > the 2002+ 2.5RS.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

As soon as you posted this thread. Quantum kitty in a box... I suppose the 22B isn't cool anymore, either? Too old? Freakin' noobs :spin:

For real though, the 4th gens are and will always be "cooler" than the 5th or 6th gens, in the same way that the 98-01 2.5RS > the 2002+ 2.5RS.

Shrodinger?

..wow lol. I always thought most of you were retarded

Open to discussion. I have my bsee

I like physics

The 4th gens never lost their cool factor. 99% of the 4th gen's are now 8-10 years old, have a lot of miles on them, most of the original owners on here sold or traded them in for new cars. Although we all know Subaru's last a long time as long as you maintain them. However since Subaru decided to nix the LGT all together in the US and the 5th gen was ugly AF in favor of making the legacy a consumer car and not a enthusiast car. I miss my 4th gen a lot, when I bought my WRX I really wanted another LGT but the risk of buying a used turbo car wasn't worth it to me.

until they make a new LGT with a turbo. the 4th gen will be the best generation from an enthusiast point of view.

FWIW the current WRX follows the 4th gen legacy formula for the most part size/power wise and comes with a AT and MT. so in a sense the 4th gen was ahead of its time.

WT is right on - 4th gen Legacy was the 08-14 WRX in a grown-up package. Not sure it was ever "cool" hence the running joke about it looking like an even older Camry. Looks are subjective, and I will admit that some Legacies look downright boring/ugly but others look pretty damn good. The 5th gen LGT had a lot going for it in terms of the chassis/engine/powertrain, but fell short on delivering the same understated/sleek sportiness that the 4th gen had. that being said I have seen some mildly modded 5th gens that look a whole lot better than some 4th gens. The non-turbo 5th and 6th gens are different cars for a different kind of driver.

+1 on what White Tiger said. Having owned a 4th gen and now a 4th gen WRX it really is the next step in the evolution of the legacy. Everything that needed to be inproved in the legacy is there in the new WRX. The 6 speed, Twinscroll, Direct Injection(which is still to TBD if it's better than the EJ or not). Overall this car drives like a better version of the LGT, not a WRX

ftfy

Why do you say that the LGT is more like the '15-'16 than the '08-'14?

The '08-'14 are built on the same chassis and with the same drivetrain as the 4th gen LGT. The drivetrain is completely different in the '15+ WRX, and IMO the '15+ WRX is in another league in terms of handling, stock for stock...

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Why do you say that the LGT is more like the '15-'16 than the '08-'14?

The '08-'14 are built on the same chassis and with the same drivetrain as the 4th gen LGT. The drivetrain is completely different in the '15+ WRX, and IMO the '15+ WRX is in another league in terms of handling, stock for stock...

in terms of size of the vehicle, the 2015+ WRX is about the same size as the 4th gen LGT, in terms of interior, trunk space and under the hood. The GR Chassis WRX was a lot smaller inside than the LGT was. Mechanically this car is the evolution of the WRX and LGT and everything all of us previous owners wanted in our car, direct injection, twinscroll turbo, EL headers, better suspension and braking. Don't get me started on the lack of hatch for the 2015, it still angers me :mad:

The vehicle size IS relevant. Previous gen WRX's were smaller than the LGT, so would you agree that someone who had a LGT would be looking for a vehicle similar in size? Most of the guys on this forum that moved on from their LGT's bought something similar in size because Subaru did not offer a mid size performance car. The 2015 WRX is exactly that.

Now to answer your question about the completely different drivetrains. If you could have had better options from the factory in your 4th gen, what would you have wanted? Twin Scroll Turbo? 6 speed (I know you have a spec B so you already have one, but for us non-spec B owners we would have liked a 6 speed.) Direct Injection? An engine that doesn't burn oil like the EJ does? That's still TBD on the FA20 because it's too new. Subaru redesigned the 2015 with consumer feedback in mind and scrapping the same drivetrain your LGT has for a more improved performance.

^this. bottom line is the 15+ wrx is how an enthusiast would have configured the 4th gen to be in modern form. It is a direct evolution of the idea of the 4th gen legacy GT, in size, power, engine tech and interior comfort.

No question the '15 WRX is the enthusiasts evolution of the 4th gen LGT concept. My point was that the 08-14 WRX was basically the 4th gen LGT on a shortened wheel base, and with uglier sheet metal (my opinion).

I don't think you can contend that the 4th gen LGT and 08-14 WRX shared much more in common (physical parts) than the LGT and the 15 WRX.

- Started with same chassis, but with shortened wheel base for WRX

- Nearly identical engine and drivetrain

- Hyrdaulic power steering

- Same front subframe and suspension

- Same brakes & wheel bolt pattern

Archived