LegacyGT.com

When did the fourth generation Legacy lose its cool factor?

What I wonder is if they bring the LGT back in the current legacy platform, what drivetrain it would have. Since they scrapped the EJ255 for the FA20 on all platforms (and likely would have if the legacy was still the same size as the 4th gen was). However the current legacy platform the 2.0 is too small for that car. I would imagine they would come out with a FA25T DIT, which if they do, hopefully transfers over to the STI as well :O

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LW if you don't believe either me or Whitetiger, go sit in or drive a 2015+ and see for yourself. A majority of the members on this forum have replaced their 4th gens with the new WRX, not the previous generation. That or they're looking at other performance mid size's like the Chevy SS or A5.

Since my logic is flawed, then what in your mind is the evolution from the 4th gen Legacy?

No question the '15 WRX is the enthusiasts evolution of the 4th gen LGT concept. My point was that the 08-14 WRX was basically the 4th gen LGT on a shortened wheel base, and with uglier sheet metal (my opinion).

I understand, but the that very fact that the 08-14 wrx was shorter/smaller/less comfortable was what make me think that it is not a direct comparison/evolution of the 4th gen LGT.

I don't think you can contend that the 4th gen LGT and 08-14 WRX shared much more in common (physical parts) than the LGT and the 15 WRX.

- Started with same chassis, but with shortened wheel base for WRX

- Nearly identical engine and drivetrain

- Hyrdaulic power steering

- Same front subframe and suspension

- Same brakes & wheel bolt pattern

of course, but was not really/ never was referring to parts sharing/commonality, rather more of a conceptual evolution of the car. we bought the 4th gen over the the wrx/sti at the time because we wanted something more sophisticated and grown up with the same performance of the wrx. the 08-14 wrx, i think most would say, does not offer that to the level of the 4th gen. the 15+ wrx certainly does. the fact that you can get it on an automatic further allows it to fulfill that role. But you agree with this as you said above.;)

I understand, but the that very fact that the 08-14 wrx was shorter/smaller/less comfortable was what make me think that it is not a direct comparison/evolution of the 4th gen LGT.

of course, but was not really/ never was referring to parts sharing/commonality, rather more of a conceptual evolution of the car. we bought the 4th gen over the the wrx/sti at the time because we wanted something more sophisticated and grown up with the same performance of the wrx. the 08-14 wrx, i think most would say, does not offer that to the level of the 4th gen. the 15+ wrx certainly does. the fact that you can get it on an automatic further allows it to fulfill that role. But you agree with this as you said above.;)

Agreed on all points. Your comment about the detriments of the 08-14 WRX compared to the 05-09 LGT are why I was suggesting in my first post here that the 05-09 LGT was the more compelling package (more "cool", relative to the OP). Your comments about the conceptual evolution from the 05-09 LGT to the 15+ WRX are also right on, and incidentally my LGT mod path has followed much the same trajectory. If the 15+ WRX/STI was available to the 2006 version of me I am sure I would have looked right past the LGT. The 2016 version of me has different needs from a car and would be looking at a different platform all together.

Wow, you are an utter and complete douche. Proven wrong multiple times and you single out autism? :confused:

Talk about butthurt.

Wrong is in your eyes, as you can see I am not the only person in this thread who is saying what I am saying. Since this conversation is falling on deaf ears I'll say it one more time, go drive one and see for yourself. Hell, you live an hour north of me, you're welcome to take mine for a spin. Until then, get fucked.

Agreed on all points. Your comment about the detriments of the 08-14 WRX compared to the 05-09 LGT are why I was suggesting in my first post here that the 05-09 LGT was the more compelling package (more "cool", relative to the OP). Your comments about the conceptual evolution from the 05-09 LGT to the 15+ WRX are also right on, and incidentally my LGT mod path has followed much the same trajectory. If the 15+ WRX/STI was available to the 2006 version of me I am sure I would have looked right past the LGT. The 2016 version of me has different needs from a car and would be looking at a different platform all together.

^exactly. the 2016 me would like to see a wrx 5 door. a modern LGT wagon for the fam. ;)

Wrong is in your eyes, as you can see I am not the only person in this thread who is saying what I am saying. Since this conversation is falling on deaf ears I'll say it one more time, go drive one and see for yourself. Hell, you live an hour north of me, you're welcome to take mine for a spin. Until then, get fucked.

Thanks for the offer, but I've driven a new WRX before. It's a newer, vastly different car. If you re-read your own post, this was the original question that you took issue with:

because you asked why LGT is more like the 2015+ WRX rather than the 08-14 WRX.

Then it turned into this:

Since my logic is flawed, then what in your mind is the evolution from the 4th gen Legacy?

And then it turned into you calling me autistic and telling me to get fucked. I am a sucker for a good debate, but again this has devolved into name calling and nastiness... gotta love the internet.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

It is a vastly different car, if the 6th gen Legacy was offered in a GT and was still a mid size car (which it's not), it would have a FA20T in it just like the WRX and the FXT. Which they scrapped the EJ25 for and redesigned all of the suspension and handling features in both cars, as they would have done if there was a 6th gen LGT.

The 4th gen LGT and a GR Chassis WRX, just as UD said, they had the same powertrain and suspension, however the LGT was aesthetically a more refined car inside and out. The WRX was more aggressive looking on the outside and had the cheap boy racer interior on the inside. The new WRX is not like that, it is a more refined car. Which brings me to my point again, there are A LOT of members on this forum who sold their 4th gens, moved on to something other than Subaru, then came back to Subaru with the new WRX because it is a more refined car similar to what they had in their LGT. Back in 2009 and 2010 guys on here weren't selling the LGT to get the GR WRX, they were getting another mid size car from another company.

^exactly. the 2016 me would like to see a wrx 5 door. a modern LGT wagon for the fam. ;)

Yeah, no kidding. Wouldn't that essentially be the Levorg? I have not followed the Levorg closely enough since there seems to be zero chance of it coming to the USA.

I had the perfect mod plan for my OBXT that would have satisfied me for perpetuity, but the car is just too damn small for two car seats plus accompanying stuff. Nevermind actually wanting to haul any additional passengers at the same time. The new Mazda CX9 seems like it could deliver what I need with a similar approach to the OBXT. 7 passenger seating, 2.5L turbo, AWD, SkyActiv chassis, well appointed. Only thing I will miss is the manual trans, but having an auto means my wife will be able to drive it.

If the CX9 doesn't meet my expectations then the Durango R/T and Explorer Sport are next in line. Both deviate substantially from the OBXT/CX9 formula but offer their own benefits/detriments.

The levorg is more of a wagon than it is a 5 door hatch. SOA has changed their mind too many times in the last 24 months on what direction they want to head the company in. This year at the LA auto show SOA CEO kept reiterating that they are now a sedan company making cars for the consumer market, not the enthusiast. Then throughout this year we have heard that they may come out with a WRX Hatch in the states, a XV Crosstrek STI, a Legacy STI, a BRZ STI. Then they say something else, I don't see why they would make a statement about being a sedan company moving forward because I think that will be the death of them alienating more than half of their market. I see more Crosstrek's and impreza hatches than anything else on the road now.

Yeah, no kidding. Wouldn't that essentially be the Levorg? I have not followed the Levorg closely enough since there seems to be zero chance of it coming to the USA.

I had the perfect mod plan for my OBXT that would have satisfied me for perpetuity, but the car is just too damn small for two car seats plus accompanying stuff. Nevermind actually wanting to haul any additional passengers at the same time. The new Mazda CX9 seems like it could deliver what I need with a similar approach to the OBXT. 7 passenger seating, 2.5L turbo, AWD, SkyActiv chassis, well appointed. Only thing I will miss is the manual trans, but having an auto means my wife will be able to drive it.

If the CX9 doesn't meet my expectations then the Durango R/T and Explorer Sport are next in line. Both deviate substantially from the OBXT/CX9 formula but offer their own benefits/detriments.

^you are basically where i am now.

Back in 2009 and 2010 guys on here weren't selling the LGT to get the GR WRX, they were getting another mid size car from another company.

I know a few who did make the switch to the GR WRX and admitted it was a lateral/backward move, but "made sense" given that their LGT was either totalled/blowed-up and they either got a good deal on the WRX/STI or couldn't get a new 4th gen LGT. :lol:

I considered going to a 09 or 10 WRX many times when I had my 2.5i, even though that car was slow it was still a lot nicer on the inside and much more comfortable ride than the WRX was. The interior of the GR's was cheap and boring. I bought a E90 M3 as my fun car and drove the 2.5 as my daily for a while, that solved my craving for speed :)

I think it was a miscommunication, the point I was making is that the 2015 is essentially what the 4th gen LGT evolved in to. Since Subaru has geared production and market towards the consumer rather than enthusiast, they redesigned the WRX/STI to appeal to a wider audience than it's previous boy racer market. A lot of guys that have been long time WRX fans dislike the design of the current model because they think it looks too bland, and they are right, it's much blander than the GD and GR series.

With that being said, if you're going to ask a question on a public forum, get an answer then reply in a condescending manner because you don't agree with them; don't be surprised when you get a less than nice reply back.

Archived