LegacyGT.com

Official Interest In COBB Flex-Fuel for the Legacy GT Platform - Please speak up

cryo

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I am assuming non-turbo, run of the mill, engines that use to burn no oil in previous iterations now burning a quart every 1000 miles. Some do burn oil and some don't. I am thinking of buying a new Impreza and would rather pass on it if it will be an oil burner. My wife's 96 2.2L Legacy burns no oil in 10,000 miles. I know it burns some but you can't tell on the dip stick. I use M1 10W30 in it or the HM version. There have been problems with the last few years of Subaru engines. I think the 2.5L burning oil. There is a class action law suit about it. So what I am asking is, is there some manufacturing defect, oil additives, valve seals etc that are responsible for so many oil burning engines. A new 4 banger should not burn over a quart every 5000 miles. My V10 Excursion uses a quart every 1500-2000 miles. Even the old Air Cooled VW engines did not burn that much oil.

I am mainly concerned about the newer 2.0L flat 4 in the new cars.

Greg,

Thanks for the email and interest in Flex Fuel for your LGT! Currently, our development plan for FF is the new DIT cars up next (hopefully done soon!), then the 04-07 STI/06-07 WRX, and then we will investigate other vehicles. We have seen many requests for the LGT, so it is something we will consider. The hardware is just part of the solution, the full software implementation takes a large amount of engineering effort as well for each ECU supported in those model year ranges. We wish it was faster or easier, but we only have so many kick ass engineers available! Please keep an eye on our Facebook page for more details and we'll reach out if we need any test vehicles. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Just found this. I looked into flex fuel 2-3 years ago for my '05, and the answer I got was "nothing really useful available". Now, she's getting a little older, and I'm not sure if I want to spend the $$.

But, I do want to keep up-to-date and know what's happening.

Any idea if the FF kit will make one fail a visual? Still gotta smog the beast every 2 years..

Or get a Flex Fuel for Cobb kit from Delicious Tuning as it is already available.

Does it require upgrading to '07-09 top feed injectors (or '05-06 LGTs)? How much work to install/uninstall?

E85 applications will require larger injectors. The best route will be the top feed injector option for injectors of that size.

I understand larger injectors will be needed. However, I currently have DW650s on my '05 with a bnr16g, so I'm thinking DW850 sidefeeds SHOULD work.

I'm curious about how much work to install/uninstall this would be, so as to pass smog. Converting to a whole new fuel rail doesn't seem like a "take it off in an hour or two" type of thing..

Just in theory (I'm probably done modding the LGT), but:

-get bigger injectors (at least 850)

-get a Cobb AP3 tune (I currently have an OS tune), whether OTS or protune

At that point, just throw the kit on, and it's good with the same tune? So if I need to smog, just take it off, keep the same tune, and after I pass, put it back on?

Just in theory (I'm probably done modding the LGT), but:

-get bigger injectors (at least 850)

-get a Cobb AP3 tune (I currently have an OS tune), whether OTS or protune

At that point, just throw the kit on, and it's good with the same tune? So if I need to smog, just take it off, keep the same tune, and after I pass, put it back on?

Not just any tune. You need a Flexfuel tune by Delicious tuning or one of his approved vendors. I think there is an approved vendor in the Bay area though. Forgot who though (it's on Delicious tuning's website.)

Not just any tune. You need a Flexfuel tune by Delicious tuning or one of his approved vendors. I think there is an approved vendor in the Bay area though. Forgot who though (it's on Delicious tuning's website.)

Hmm. I thought the Cobb OTS tunes, for example, were acceptable. So pro-tunes needs to be pre-vetted?

Flex Fuel requires a custom tune. Even for cars Cobb supports custom tunes are required as Cobb offers no OTS flex fuel maps. Delicious has been working on some OTS FF (for Cobb) maps for certain applications. But this will require an exact mod list.

• 2 weeks later...
I've read that DT flex fuel kit does not support my model year ecu 5th gen is this true? I've been running e85 but there is a lot of disadvantages of not having flex fuel so I am thinking of switching back to 93 when I get my motor back together and tuned by TA until Cobb or someone else figures it out?