LegacyGT.com

Official Interest In COBB Flex-Fuel for the Legacy GT Platform - Please speak up

cryo

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 years of asking/begging and nothing yet but crumbs to keep you begging. Come on Dave. I am being realistic. Cobb is not "Cobb" anymore. Its a different game they are playing now. Heck, much of the Subie "industry" and "community" has changed dramatically over the past 3 years.

If something is released, GREAT. There will be at least 2 choices then and competition could make improvements to the products. But... there are far less potential sales from 05-09 LGT and OBXT owners then there are for other platforms that Cobb has intentions of supporting.

I am pleased your e-tunig and in house tuning business is going strong. But once again, being realistic parts/service/tuning sales have all fallen WAY off for the platform from its peak in 2013. My last 3 GB's and production runs of LGT specific parts (that were requested by forum members via gauging interest threads first) ended up losing me over $20k combined. I just scrapped over 100lbs of billet LWCP's (5th gens) for $50. The material alone cost about $2k, before the CNC was involved.

Fingers crossed someone releases something at some point for the few that remain. Just so that there are choices. I do like choices.

2 years of asking/begging and nothing yet but crumbs to keep you begging. Come on Dave. I am being realistic. Cobb is not "Cobb" anymore. Its a different game they are playing now. Heck, much of the Subie "industry" and "community" has changed dramatically over the past 3 years.

If something is released, GREAT. There will be at least 2 choices then and competition could make improvements to the products. But... there are far less potential sales from 05-09 LGT and OBXT owners then there are for other platforms that Cobb has intentions of supporting.

I am pleased your e-tunig and in house tuning business is going strong. But once again, being realistic parts/service/tuning sales have all fallen WAY off for the platform from its peak in 2013. My last 3 GB's and production runs of LGT specific parts (that were requested by forum members via gauging interest threads first) ended up losing me over $20k combined. I just scrapped over 100lbs of billet LWCP's (5th gens) for $50. The material alone cost about $2k, before the CNC was involved.

Fingers crossed someone releases something at some point for the few that remain. Just so that there are choices. I do like choices.

So what about the real fact that ethanol is being shoved down our throats now? And per the flyer a fuel that 'burns cleaner so its better for you, your car, and eviornment" isnt going to attract any attention? Its not going to just be power pushers - soccer moms and eco nuts will want in on it too, and a LOT drive subaru.

Maybe you dont see many because theyre all in Colorado. Tons of 4th and 3rd gen leggys. On my block alone theres 4 or 5 LGT/OBX/FXT's...

As far as your parts venture vs ethanol support - i think its two totally different games. They arent goin to madate LWCP's but they can mandate more ethanol in vehicles.

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Let's keep discussion on topic everyone.

This thread is to indicate interest in the possibility of a COBB developed Flex-Fuel solution. Debates regarding it's viability and profitability can be started and contained within the Turbo Powertrains and Tuning sub-forums.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

So what about the real fact that ethanol is being shoved down our throats now? And per the flyer a fuel that 'burns cleaner so its better for you, your car, and eviornment" isnt going to attract any attention? Its not going to just be power pushers - soccer moms and eco nuts will want in on it too, and a LOT drive subaru.

Maybe you dont see many because theyre all in Colorado. Tons of 4th and 3rd gen leggys. On my block alone theres 4 or 5 LGT/OBX/FXT's...

As far as your parts venture vs ethanol support - i think its two totally different games. They arent goin to madate LWCP's but they can mandate more ethanol in vehicles.

All valid points, I rarely see any Legacy, with the exception of the two I saw at Infamous the last time I was there. Neither was in running condition and only one left the shop with a new heart. I have yet to see another Spec B. I'm starting to think I'm the only one in South San Diego.

Sam here in Chicago. Foresters and Outbacks are a dime a dozen, Imprezas are starting to be the same. I have only ever seen two other Legacy GT's, and one other Outback XT. Chicago people are more of the domestic crossover/Honda econobox folk.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Ethanol is not being "shoved down" anyones throats. To the contrary that was the case in 2012/13. Once the Bush administration left office the Obama administration killed the federal subsidy on e85. Prices more than doubled afterwards. We used to get e85 for less than $1 per gallon. It is $2.50 now. The World Food Bank complained that the federal subsidy was taking corn away from starving kids in Africa. Mexico complained that they wanted the corn to eat. We ship most of the corn to Mexico because it pays better.

I see over 100 Subies per month at my shop (in a 20 day work month). LGT's are the smallest percentage of cars Sure, I am on the west coast, in Cali. But Cali is the most populous stage in the nation, 6th largest economy in the world. Plus, no adverse weather in So cal. If the cars are gone here, the money is gone. LGT's were always a smaller percentage of the cars at the shop[. But the online sales fell off a CLIFF in 2015. 2014 avg of approx $100k per month in online parts sales to LGT owners. 2015 avg of $25k per month in online parts sales to LGT owners. 2017 avg of $500 per month in online parts sales to LGT owners. The market has crashed.

No one is mandating ethanol in vehicles. Thats what you have completely backwards. The govt is moving AWAY from ethanol and towards EV.

Carry on Dave. I truly hope that at some point Cobb offers a FF kit for the 4th gen LGT. I might still own my SpecB if/when and would be interested in flex fuel capability with options.

Options. If Cobb does not do it, will anyone else offer an option? Moto East? Visconti? DMS? Anyone???

Cobb has the "name" within the community (for now) so the hopes appear pinned on them.

I cross my fingers for options from any manufacturer, major or minor, as there is only 1 option (other than custom made) right now.

Let's keep discussion on topic everyone.

This thread is to indicate interest in the possibility of a COBB developed Flex-Fuel solution. Debates regarding it's viability and profitability can be started and contained within the Turbo Powertrains and Tuning sub-forums.

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Options. If Cobb does not do it, will anyone else offer an option? Moto East? Visconti? DMS? Anyone???

Cobb has the "name" within the community (for now) so the hopes appear pinned on them.

I cross my fingers for options from any manufacturer, major or minor, as there is only 1 option (other than custom made) right now.

Please expand on this option for all of us. Is it actually flex fuel for different blends?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/delicious-tuning-flex-fuel-kit-legacy-gt-platform-258676.html?t=258676

This is what msprank is talking and has been discussed in other threads. This thread is not for that purpose.

Will everyone please refrain from derailing this thread it is for expressing interest in Cobb FF and discussion/updates on its developement.

Message has been delivered multiple times.

Thanks

Edited by gkinslow

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I spoke to Cobb last week when I was trading V2 for V3 so I can get a re-tune, and the guy on the phone stated while he can't promise a date, there have been some serious talks about getting the ball rolling on the Flex kit for LGTs. I'll take it with a grain of salt, but I would definitely be a buyer. Especially with this winter blend garbage, i'm sticking with 93 right now. I may consider buying E85 from a fuel manufacturer like FTW or VP but I won't chance blowing up my motor for a bit more power if I'm not 100% sure its at least 82%.

Oh man...i just got my basemap for e85 from sti mikey...maybe i still hope to get the ff kit if it is ever produced...oh the anticipation.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Edited by tocinoman25

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

The response I got today when I followed up with ‘Ryan’ of Cobb about my car being at Surgeline in Portland right now getting a motor build and asking if there is any chance I’ll be able to include flex fuel in the build. Build won’t be done until hopefully late March.

We are still a ways away from developing flex fuel for the Outback XT, I have not heard any updates since your last email.

My previous email was October 12, 2017.

Edited by WRX USA

• 2 weeks later...
I spoke to Cobb last week when I was trading V2 for V3 so I can get a re-tune, and the guy on the phone stated while he can't promise a date, there have been some serious talks about getting the ball rolling on the Flex kit for LGTs. I'll take it with a grain of salt, but I would definitely be a buyer. Especially with this winter blend garbage, i'm sticking with 93 right now. I may consider buying E85 from a fuel manufacturer like FTW or VP but I won't chance blowing up my motor for a bit more power if I'm not 100% sure its at least 82%.
Don't most tuners calibrate to e70 for that exact reason? Just curious.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't most tuners calibrate to e70 for that exact reason? Just curious.

Yes, but even still, not worth it to run e85 in winter for me. Ill wait patiently for the flex kit from Cobb. Another 10K motor is not in my financial plans lol. As it is there is only 1 station I know of in Queens, 1 in BK, and the rest are in LI.