LegacyGT.com

Official Interest In COBB Flex-Fuel for the Legacy GT Platform - Please speak up

cryo

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2007 Legacy SpecB. Built motor, plenty of mods, SoCal Porting VF52 turbo, Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel kit and tune.

The dyno numbers (from our Heart Breaker Mustang)...

269awhp on ACN91 pump gas

355awhp on e-60 (e85)

21248586_1701335866585597_3039564439435270468_o.jpg?oh=eb1a5f3f331b6cd8ec66d0a60416eee4&oe=5A5E6F5B

21192162_1701335896585594_2387679716185493544_n.jpg?oh=547177aa883aa4a59574a663151e55ba&oe=5A1F2BCE

21150362_1701335933252257_2241040716441467196_n.jpg?oh=323cd13230964078804fd491314e4cbe&oe=5A283870

2007 Legacy SpecB. Built motor, plenty of mods, SoCal Porting VF52 turbo, Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel kit and tune.

The dyno numbers (from our Heart Breaker Mustang)...

269awhp on ACN91 pump gas

355awhp on e-60 (e85)

So, I gotta ask:

1) how "built"? How much to build up a motor with 130k in good shape (leakdown was like 95/93/95/93, roughly) to similar specs? Cheaper/better to start with a stage 1/2/whatever pre-built shortblock from IAG or similar?

2) Is this within the range of power a 5EAT + Hexmods F1 can handle?

In for hopes and dreams and info...

Also emailed COBB and pled my case - Here's the responce.

"Hello Sparkey,

Thank you for contacting Cobb support. We are investigating adding support for some manual transmission Legacy GT models, however I do not know which years will be supported if we do offer it in the future.

Keep an eye on our blog and social media for updates!"

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

So, I gotta ask:

1) how "built"? How much to build up a motor with 130k in good shape (leakdown was like 95/93/95/93, roughly) to similar specs? Cheaper/better to start with a stage 1/2/whatever pre-built shortblock from IAG or similar?

1) I have his standard shortblock build, but I went with CP 9.0:1 compression pistons and outfront custom Rods (Mike can fill you in on these) comparable to Turbo Tuff Rods.

2) I have no clue so Mike can also fill you in.

So, I gotta ask:

1 =

CP forged pistons 9.0:1 compression

Outfront Motorsports H beam rods

King Performance main and rod bearings

2013 STi heat treated crank shaft

11mm STi oil pump

OEM timing kit and water pump

ARP head studs

OEM gasket set

NGK 6619 plugs

OEM power steering belt

OEM A/C belt

OEM PCV assembly

Misc hoses

OEM t-stat

2 x OEM oil filters (includes 100 mile oil change)

10qt Motul 10w40 break in oil

Bore and hone with torque plates

3 angle valve job, adjustment, resurface, cleaning of the heads (pair)

Servicing of the AVCS intake cam gears

Estimate a $7500 price (parts and labor - installed at my shop) for the engine. If your compression numbers are in the 90's (those are not leak down numbers) then I am surprised you are not misfiring at idle already. Below 100psi of compression is time to rebuild. I have zero personal experience with IAG. From my understanding (and what I have seen) most of what they sell is a copy of Outfronts products.

2 =

I have never pushed the envelope of the 5EAT with a Hexmods VB. From my understanding the modified trans should hold this power level.

1 =

Estimate a $7500 price (parts and labor - installed at my shop) for the engine.

If your compression numbers are in the 90's (those are not leak down numbers) then I am surprised you are not misfiring at idle already. Below 100psi of compression is time to rebuild. I have zero personal experience with IAG. From my understanding (and what I have seen) most of what they sell is a copy of Outfronts products.

Sorry, got the numbers backwards (subtracted the values from 100%, not sure why :lol:). My leakdown test was 7%/5%/7%/5%. No CO in coolant. (done by GST)

2 =

I have never pushed the envelope of the 5EAT with a Hexmods VB. From my understanding the modified trans should hold this power level.

Thanks!

Your leak down is excellent then. No issues there. Carry on good sir.

Thanks. So would it be cheaper than $7.5k to "rebuild" my engine to those specs? Does that $7.5k include a new block?

Also - another $2-2.5k or so for flex fuel (kit + bigger injectors + ecutek + 2 tunes, etc)?

I doubt it would be cheaper than $7500, but that depends on the individual shop labor rate. $7500 is reusing (bore and hone with torque plates) your existing block. I prefer to stay at 99.75mm and am not a big fan of having to go to 100mm pistons. If having to use a new SB to start with expect to pay about $500-$800 more.

Normally I estimate $3k for flex fuel parts, install and tune.

None of this is "cheap", I admit. But, you must "pay to play".

• 1 month later...
Bumping this post back up. The more interest generated in LGT flex fuel, the sooner Cobb will release a kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re better off actually emailing Cobb and asking them, rather then posting here, since (direct) customer demand is going to drive them to productize flex fuel for us.

support@cobbtuning.com

You’re better off actually emailing Cobb and asking them, rather then posting here, since (direct) customer demand is going to drive them to productize flex fuel for us.

support@cobbtuning.com

And when you do... link them to this thread! Let them know you are far from alone :lol: Heck, even blame them for contributing to global warming - whatever it takes!

Last time I e-mailed them I was told they are trying to get something for the manual LGT's done but unsure of what years will be supported.

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

2 year gone by. No release from Cobb. Probably several thousand potential customers cars have been sold or wrecked now. Potential market size shrinks daily. Company has been sold during the time frame. Why continue R&D???

There has been a viable option available on the market for a long time now. Dont hold your breath for a second option.

Last time I e-mailed them I was told they are trying to get something for the manual LGT's done but unsure of what years will be supported.

The reply I got today said that they are investigating Legacy GT/Outback XT flex fuel support but it would be on manual cars only, as stated above, and only those years that came with top feed injectors.

Email Cobb directly people!! I spoke to them a few months back and they said they are still looking into it. Awesome if they will do it for manuals at least.

Don't let the negative Nancy's stop you from contacting Cobb.

Some FB people tried to tell me that their efforts are enough and not to bother trying. Screw that logic

Well articulated requests to show interest will go further than everyone sitting playing with out thumbs. Maybe it won't go anywhere but why not try???

The reply I got today said that they are investigating Legacy GT/Outback XT flex fuel support but it would be on manual cars only, as stated above, and only those years that came with top feed injectors.

That's what I've long suspected, once they started saying "some" models: '07+ 5MT/6MT. So if I want a flex-fuel 5EAT (most of my driving is stop-and-go), Delicious sounds like my only option..

Thats consistant at least. I didnt know some years came top feed. would a top feed converted work or is there a big difference in the ECU too? That seems to be what they point too as the hold up for the Legacy.

Thats consistant at least. I didnt know some years came top feed. would a top feed converted work or is there a big difference in the ECU too? That seems to be what they point too as the hold up for the Legacy.

There is a top-feed conversion for the LGT, but I suspect what they're saying is those that CAME with them, because, as you suspect, there's an ECU difference: '07+ LGTs have the "SI-mode" button.

There is a top-feed conversion for the LGT, but I suspect what they're saying is those that CAME with them, because, as you suspect, there's an ECU difference: '07+ LGTs have the "SI-mode" button.

So weird. I would have assumed that it would be easier to do the 05-06's and just say "Must convert to top feed". All the electronics of the SI-mode should make it more difficult - but it does seem more people have that so I guess I cant blame them.

So weird. I would have assumed that it would be easier to do the 05-06's and just say "Must convert to top feed". All the electronics of the SI-mode should make it more difficult - but it does seem more people have that so I guess I cant blame them.

I think on Gabo's tune, he has one boost limit for "normal" and one for "SI-sport" or sharp, or whatever it's called (I have an '05). Meaning those ECUs already have provision for multiple boost/fuel tables, and I think they have MORE space for lookup tables, so it's easier to fit everything into those tables..