LegacyGT.com

What fluids do you recommend?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some go with the 40 simply to help with less oil consumption with it being slightly thicker. Also will help for higher heat temps I'd say logging long miles. With the tolerances of modern engines there's nothing wrong running the 40vs30. Climate is also a factor in picking an oil, you basically want an oil that will cover your climate range, extremes of hot and cold. May want a thinner oil for winter months and the heavier for summer.

I run 15w-50 do to the tolerances of my engine rebuild. Also my drives are typically interstate during the summer so during the winter I go with a 15-40 or 10-40

I run 15w-50 do to the tolerances of my engine rebuild. Also my drives are typically interstate during the summer so during the winter I go with a 15-40 or 10-40

Except your engine rebuild is not really stock.

I know you know this, and forum regulars probably know this. But Googlers who search for what oil to use in their 5th gens and wind up finding this thread don't. I just want to emphasize this for people who read this and note you run 15w-50 in your Legacy and then want run off to pour 15w-50 into their stock engine.

Good thing to be reiterated. Better to say FULL build than just a simple rebuild. And ELLESEDIL is completely right, the tolerances aren't the same.

Only principle I was trying to get across is a lighter weighted oil for fall/winter in comparison to spring/summer for temo ranges

I don't see real cold temps enough to warrant a 30wt oil, so I am sticking with the t6 after the initial fill of oil it hasn't really used any more. So maybe I just under filled it. But it runs smooth, I dare say smoother when I am really pushing it than mobil 1 5w 30.

The wife's Tribeca doesn't seem to care either way it runs the same, so gonna put hers back on mobil 1 high mileage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Been doing some research on motor oil. I discovered the Mobil 1 High Mileage oil I had been using is only an API SL standard. My car, being a 2010 says it requires a SM. And since the SN came out in 2010, I should probably be running that for good measure. The regular Mobil 1 is an SN standard, weird that the High Mileage uses a standard 2 generations old. My only guess is they figure someone running a High Mileage would have an old car. I thought it was a good idea to use since I'm over 80k and could make use of the extra seal conditioners and detergents they supposedly put in High Mileage blends.

Well, I'm off to the store first thing tomorrow to get that stuff out of there. Still not convinced I need to spend double the money for Motul or Amsoil for my daily driven, never raced car. Probably go with regular Mobil 1 or maybe the Pennzoil. I ordered a Blackstone test and will do some testing.

Does anyone have experience with Pennzoil ultra platinum? I heard it's on par with Amsoil.

Just ordered a jug on Amazon. They have it for $27 exclusively for Prime members. I plan on doing a Blackstone test on it when I drain it.

Nvm. The price is now 55. Must have been a special.

Sorry if dumb question but I have a 2012 lgt and know the rear diff is 75/90 gear oil but as for the front is it the same for the transmission,and is it just drain and fill or is the front diff separate from the trans or together.

The front differential is in the transmission on a manual like the 5th Gen GT. 75w90 for the transmission/differential. I used Amsoil severe gear synthetic, but there's lots of good recommendations

• 1 month later...
Not suggest Mobil 1 or Subaru??? I'm aware the Amsoil and Motul may be better oils, but wondering what the science behind that is. They can't be that bad. Like I said earlier, I'm of the theory buy cheaper but still good oil, like Mobil 1, and change it on time.

We do a lot of oil changes every year. I mean A LOT on turbo subies specifically. Let's say on a conservative year we go through 1500-2000 gallons of Motul for the past 10+ years.

Occasionally we will run out of Motul and we've had customers ask us to put in Mobile 1 or Subaru Synthetic 5w30. They are back after 3K miles asking for an oil change and stating that they've had to add about 2q over the past 3K miles.

We put the motul back in and the consumption goes away....

We also do and have customers that do UOIs and we've found that the Motul is great for 5k-6k in turbo cars and come back with plenty of life in the UOIs. This is the Motul 8100 X-series oils.

Hope this helps.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

This is true for the Subaru oil. The dealer did a change pretty recently before I purchased my car and it had dropped down to half way between L and F twice (because I'm not gonna let it hit L) with the Subaru oil. My last change was Castrol Magnatec Semi-Synthetic and it's barely dropped in the last 3500 miles.

I am going full synthetic Amsoil for sure this next one coming up. Gonna need to do the diffs and the transmission as well.

They are back after 3K miles asking for an oil change and stating that they've had to add about 2q over the past 3K miles.

Bingo!

M1 is fine oil, I use it in my daily driver Honda. It just doesn't do well in forced induction boxer engines. Much better to go with Motul or Rotella T6 even if they cost a little more you'll use about 2q less between changes so they're actually cheaper. :cool:

Yep, when I bought my car last year the dealer had done a fresh change and filled it with Mobil1. I had to add 1 1/2 qt over the next 3500 miles. Went to Motul and it stayed great for the next 3500. Planning on changing it again tonight, it's a little overdue but it still looks pretty clean and full.

5-30?

5-30 Ok

5-40 Better

Motul - [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Motul-007250-X-cess-Synthetic-Gasoline/dp/B004LEYIQ8/]Amazon.com: Motul 007250 8100 X-cess 5W-40 Synthetic Gasoline and Diesel Engine Oil - 5 Liter Jug: Automotive[/ame] (or a case of 4 for $183)

T6 - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella-Synthetic-5W-40-Motor-Oil-1-Gal/14958681 (or a case of 3 for $55)

By the way we sell Motul and can usually be pretty competitive with Amazon and we help support the community... Shoot us an e-mail to parts@azpinstalls.com and we can get you setup for any Motul fluids or Amsoil!

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

As I read through this thread, I begin to wonder if anyone but me drives a 2.5? The owner's manual for the 2014 specifies 0w-20 and nothing else. But I didn't buy the car with plans to do any serious speed modifications so I bet Mobil 1 will work just fine.

As I read through this thread, I begin to wonder if anyone but me drives a 2.5? The owner's manual for the 2014 specifies 0w-20 and nothing else. But I didn't buy the car with plans to do any serious speed modifications so I bet Mobil 1 will work just fine.

You need to pay attention to the engines that we're talking about. Your car has the FB25 motor, which takes synthetic 0W-20 for fuel efficiency purposes. The OP of this thread and others that have commented have either the EZ36 motor (3.6R) or EJ255 (2.5 Turbo), which both have different specs for oil than your car. The 3.6 and 2.5 turbo are both more demanding on the oil because of the power they produce.

Archived