LegacyGT.com

What fluids do you recommend?

Without searching can anyone tell me what is the capacity of ATF fluid for the '12 Legacy 3.6R?

10.4 quarts, page 12-8 below.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/69521/pdf/ownerManual/069521_2012_Legacy/MSA5M1204Aall_19.pdf

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drain/fill...drive...drain/fill...drive...drain/fill.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Filter is supposed to be lifetime service...and I have used am soil synthetic with no discernible difference from the subaru hp we have 145k miles on our tribeca and the trans still works very well.

And fwiw I just bought a case of 12 bottles then did the change every year from about 110k miles and on. The fluid actually still looked fine. I didn't feel the need to do a flush. I believe the drain and fill is closer to 4 qts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

My dealer advised I not use Amsoil's extended drain regimen if I use Amsoil. Though I've read a couple of references to longer drain intervals than the factory recommends there's not a lot about it here that I've found yet. Does anyone use a longer drain interval with the high quality synthetics? My previous car I used 12k with zero problems.

So I know people have recommended Amsoil and Motul. I have been reading up on Royal Purple Max ATF Multi-Spec High Performance and the info and reviews I have read seem very promising. I am one to stick with one overall brand when it comes to fluids. Has anyone used this ATF? As I just changed oil to 5W30 RP HMX I figured why not MAX ATF and their diff oils.

As long as it is a suitable replacement for Subaru HP give it a shot and report back, most of us like to stick with tried and true fluids...because we don't like blazing trails especially long expensive ones to the local subie repair shop. :lol:

I will definitely compare it technically to the Subaru HP to see how it compares on the spec sheets. They claim up to 20 degrees cooler operating temps. Which in automatic transmissions is major increase in reliability and longevity. Got a few days to research.

FWIW no one has ever had anything negative to say about the Subaru hp trans fluid, it is just a matter of availability and cost. For me it was cheaper to get the amsoil, which is well regarded as well. Many of the older 4eats have been switched to Subaru hp with improvements in shifting and temps.

So if you are thinking of switching for something "better" you may actually be making a lateral move, in this case the OEM fluid is probably as good as anything else out there.

Got my latest Blackstone UOA back and the Castrol 0W40 A3/B4 oil, despite being in my motor for 10,700 KM still has a TBN of 3.9, higher you will note, than the Subaru Synth had with only 6000KM on it (far right sample). Blackstone says it would have been good for another few thousand KM, but I changed it anyway. I'm perfectly happy to get 10,000KM out of my oil in a turbo car. The left three samples were all Castrol 0w40, with the left 2 being the same fill at two points in time.

https://goo.gl/photos/pzvaYiCBdypjYf9D8

tyvq2CB8fITXurPSRAK68HJyRjiRztxxJ1HBg5u0Lv10IUjycp_sLsH9yfWL36VZKA9yU5IDEaTGvyrxoSGDM9nLri2mPa6w0EaYOKIMPGcLoX-VykwsEfEXbEcIfuBZc2Z6bL_htmJE4FysU8bK4K-41D3kivxoahZe_riejH1Y3oH3Pr3FiJvtIV4H-TFIqVNKX6bxA3Jagql8ezv7IWRGwCoc1aG-xX7jY_B98PualAVGQWjKrefzcgoA90KRgnhvrpYTzWFM0njAXE4GPqALveR4OICotnkiXRYmf7TPSgm8M-fSFay0ch4B051iiHul1mtvaksIlKDXwxD5PXufQ9UtNxjeNXGGI6TgoasBWGeiJupWDqsqbxPu5jGb5_91aTXChsGnixx8ktTJXti0Ayq0w51-NmullatDhDo5daXoe4YCDqanPR8G4G7oL5fXF6TQf5kvaB9wlOUUcxoNK6XDAKJ_rVQuqYsreBFzDlUIl7xn0WsOviWQVxv_RXiysPbCnEAG99KTZD6p4jQovTrIxUfEnlByQrLTqaYF7baYr1dBkSauxEOlIkvhsa9tag=w796-h1029-no

Just sent my two samples out today for my redline 15w-50. I'll report back in a few weeks after processing

Holy viscosity, Batman!

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

I should point out, that my sample above has sheared down to a hair thicker than a Castrol EDGE 5w-30 after 10700KM (12.12 vs 12. according to Castrol's PDS for 5w-30 EDGE)

Seriously good oil. It's really stable over many miles and holds up very well despite cooling a 100,000 RPM hairdryer. It's basically the old German Castrol but in a "40-weight" (but really barely any thicker than the old GC 0w-30) so they can up the additive packages and still get API-SN certification.

Well considering a majority of my drives a few hundred mile gallops at a time it handles it well. No consumption or loss of oil since the build. I might go to 15w-40 this summer instead and compare. I buy redline by the case so 12qts break down to 10.76each. Not tol spendy

I was running redline 10w40 and that was plenty thick for me...granted FA not EJ.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160223/891a5ca89369c0e66999eb3395caf490.jpg

About to tackle my wifes 11 leggy 2.5 limited edition rear diff. Stealership said to use gear 300 for her car and gear 300 LS for my 08 lgt. Is the gear 300 the right one for the 5th gen leggy? Just making sure. Thanks

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Archived