LegacyGT.com

I need help! Turbo failure?

True - and since there are no cam bearing shells, if there is damage, then it is to the head casting itself. And the cams. Hope the OP gets this covered by warranty!

I sure hope so too! My recent warranty motor replacement topped $10k and didn't include a turbo replacement.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, i called the warranty company and the dealer never sent the papers or contacted the warranty company. So there is no warranty from the company. But i'm taking the car down on wednesday and they're supposed to check and see what's wrong with it. But i already told them it was a blown turbo and the owner said driving it wouldn't hurt it. So i'm dealing with a bunch of retards. And i know i shouldn't be driving it but i have no other choice, so i'm making it worse. I took the intercooler off and there's oil and miniature shavings. Which i've pretty much already ruined the engine. Looks like i'm picking up a new engine boys ����

Do you have documentation that you PAID the dealer for the warranty?

If they failed to send the paperwork in then that's on the dealer to make it good. You could have a claim against them.

Might be worth talking to a lawyer, especially considering you're looking at a bill from $4k-$7k depending on who does the work and how much of the engine you replace.

I could have gotten a certified used motor with 77,000 miles on it for only $400-$500 out of pocket but opted for the new option and ended up paying $2500 out of pocket. That included new intake, custom tune, accessport and new timing belt, water pump, etc. Well worth it in my opinion.

Yeah, the turbo's impeller shaft probably snapped, so now both sides are just sitting in the housings impeding flow from your now normally aspirated engine. Meanwhile, the particles (evil gold glitter) from the turbo's destroyed bushings are clogging up the oil filter, overwhelming it into bypass mode, and the particles are now circulating through all the engines bearings. Good times.

btw, I never welcomed you to legacygt.com - welcome!

Good times indeed, thanks for the welcome!

Do you have documentation that you PAID the dealer for the warranty?

If they failed to send the paperwork in then that's on the dealer to make it good. You could have a claim against them.

Might be worth talking to a lawyer, especially considering you're looking at a bill from $4k-$7k depending on who does the work and how much of the engine you replace.

There wasn't really any paperwork. I got it from a shady used dealer. Only thing that verifies i have a warranty is the one thing i signed and the salesman signed. They in no way shape or form said anything about a third party for the warranty. Either way if they fix it i'm good and if they don't well i'm getting a lawyer. Lol

Car is screwed. They told me to drive it, so i'm just doing what they said. Now the car is reving up and down between 2500-3000 rpm and it won't go pass 3000rpm in any gear. Will only let me go 25mph. It'll get to 3000rpm and just stop and drop and go again to 3000rpm.

Limp mode came on like as soon as i left my yard.

That sounds like me when I kept driving it like I was just gonna find a low miles engine for cheap to toss in and be good to go. Hell, a LS1 engine is more HP/TQ for cheap with factory parts & tune so a EJ255 should be just as cheap. I found a LS7 still attached to the chassis of a vette for like $9k so a cheap low miles EJ is easy find if I just apply myself. OMFG, NO! 4 months and all I found was $6000 never tested if ran 200K mile engines 5 states away. It was cheaper for me to just find a running 200k mile LGT than a running confirmed engine with lesser miles. I almost did that 2 times actually but was at the tail end of paying it off.

There wasn't really any paperwork. I got it from a shady used dealer. Only thing that verifies i have a warranty is the one thing i signed and the salesman signed. They in no way shape or form said anything about a third party for the warranty. Either way if they fix it i'm good and if they don't well i'm getting a lawyer. Lol

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/779/hnnnnng.jpg

the site I saw was kinda meh, the paperwork is the binding contract. Find what you and him signed at least. It's he/she said at this point w/o it on a as is decade old car.

That sounds like me when I kept driving it like I was just gonna find a low miles engine for cheap to toss in and be good to go. Hell, a LS1 engine is more HP/TQ for cheap with factory parts & tune so a EJ255 should be just as cheap. I found a LS7 still attached to the chassis of a vette for like $9k so a cheap low miles EJ is easy find if I just apply myself. OMFG, NO! 4 months and all I found was $6000 never tested if ran 200K mile engines 5 states away. It was cheaper for me to just find a running 200k mile LGT than a running confirmed engine with lesser miles. I almost did that 2 times actually but was at the tail end of paying it off.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/779/hnnnnng.jpg

the site I saw was kinda meh, the paperwork is the binding contract. Find what you and him signed at least. It's he/she said at this point w/o it on a as is decade old car.

I have all the paperwork. And i've taken note of all that's been said and what's happened. Supposed to get it towed down there today

Out of curiosity, does anyone have an estimate of how frequently the VF40's fail? Is it 5% or 50% of all LGT's that suffer from this? I just purchased an 06 LGT with 79k miles. Carfax showed regular maintenance performed at my local Subaru dealer and oil condition looks great. I plan on inspecting the filter in the turbo banjo bolt this weekend in case it is clogged.

Just curious if there is a general idea out there of the frequency of how many LGT have a failed turbo at some point?

Out of curiosity, does anyone have an estimate of how frequently the VF40's fail? Is it 5% or 50% of all LGT's that suffer from this? I just purchased an 06 LGT with 79k miles. Carfax showed regular maintenance performed at my local Subaru dealer and oil condition looks great. I plan on inspecting the filter in the turbo banjo bolt this weekend in case it is clogged.

Just curious if there is a general idea out there of the frequency of how many LGT have a failed turbo at some point?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-failure-wiki-173358.html

The banjo with the filter is not at the turbo, its under it on the back of the head.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The banjo with the filter is not at the turbo, its under it on the back of the head.

Thanks for that heads up, I just bought the banjo bolt and washers from the dealer and will be replacing this weekend.

I must say I have only owned my LGT for 3 days, but now I feel that I have purchased a ticking time bomb. Hopefully with replacing the banjo bolt, and regularly changing/inspecting my oil I can prolong the life of my VF40.

Also, as a new member of the forum I have been really impressed with the amount of information you all have compiled. Looking forward to learning more and hopefully enjoying my LGT for many years to come!

Thanks for that heads up, I just bought the banjo bolt and washers from the dealer and will be replacing this weekend.

I must say I have only owned my LGT for 3 days, but now I feel that I have purchased a ticking time bomb. Hopefully with replacing the banjo bolt, and regularly changing/inspecting my oil I can prolong the life of my VF40.

Also, as a new member of the forum I have been really impressed with the amount of information you all have compiled. Looking forward to learning more and hopefully enjoying my LGT for many years to come!

Return it while you still can! Lol

Just get a beater and a car cover, problem solved. :lol:

I have kept a beater for this very reason, but i'm tempted to make the subaru my daily driver. I can't find enough excuses to drive it as it is. :spin:

You do notice I have two of these cars, that's so I can drive the Spec B while fixing the wagon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

So still waiting on the tow to pick the car up. Since tuesday they've been aware the car was undriveable. And the dealer seems to think that the turbo blew from misuse or racing. Which in that case i'd be out of luck. She's stereotyping the fact i'm young and a male. But i've had 3 cars prior all of which never failed and still run, and i drive a company vehicle for my job. So in my defense i'm going and printing out multiple pages of proof that the vf40 is a terrible turbo and fails often. If i can, i'll go to a professional subaru mechanic/dealer and request a quote on 05 lgt's turbo reliability. Also there was a smoking coming from around the turbo area before it blew. I noticed it weeks prior to it happening. And there was a smell of burning coolant, which i told them about weeks ago. Anybody think this was a leading problem?

The smoke is most likely the valve cover gasket on that side, again very common.

This is what that looks like.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4731.jpg

I got 142,000 miles on my vf40, before it began to make noise. Here's my thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/142-000-miles-oem-turbo-168561.html

A lot of these only make it to the mid 120,000 miles before they go. I've been here for many years now. The proof is on here.

The smoke is most likely the valve cover gasket on that side, again very common.

This is what that looks like.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4731.jpg

I got 142,000 miles on my vf40, before it began to make noise. Here's my thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/142-000-miles-oem-turbo-168561.html

A lot of these only make it to the mid 120,000 miles before they go. I've been here for many years now. The proof is on here.

That's the best thing i've read so far.

The VF40 is not a terrible turbo. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the design or the turbo itself. Failure of these units falls directly on the shoulders of the owners of the car.

If you do correct and continuous maintenance, use good oil, don't drive like an asshole, and remember that it's actually a car and not a toy, the VF40 will last for easily 150K or longer. Many alternators and starters don't last that long and no one seems to think that's unreasonable-they just change it.

You can try to find information that the VF40 is a terrible turbo, but there is not one thing wrong with them except their owners.

Archived