LegacyGT.com

I need help! Turbo failure?

Guess who is back?! Since the last update. I had the new vf40 installed. Got the car back monday night. Drove it a little bit that night and a bit the next day. And yesterday the car decided to lose boost and the check engine light came on, which i found out the code is P0011. I read through some old threads. But the new turbo only has 90 miles on it. I did a few moderately heavy pulls, but nothing that was extreme red lining, bouncing off the limiter kind. Now it sounds like the compressor wheel is scraping the housing. Should i go for another turbo or rebuild that one. Any clues what the P0011 is? Possible oil clog at the banjo bolt? And it didn't start making the noise until after i was sitting in traffic not while i was accelerating

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turbos fail for basically one of two reasons:

Oil starvation or ingestion of foreign material

You have a severe oiling issue. Potential bad oil pump but more likely a banjo filter did not get pulled and was at least partially clogged to start with.

if you don't fix the oiling, it will continue to eat turbos like a fat kid eats cake.

90 miles and you're doing pulls already? That's not the approach I took - I stayed very conservative for 1k miles, never getting into any boost at all.

Anyway, it is what it is. From here:

I suggest you disconnect the downpipe and check the condition of the turbine bearings.

Of course, turbo scraping noise = don't drive until you confirm it's good.

As JmP said, you have an oiling issue. P0011 can be caused by low oil, incorrect oil pressure, preventing the AVCS from operating.

Your turbo is not getting the oiling it needs (banjo?), so the journal bearing can't function as designed and wears incredibly fast. You will need a replacement or rebuilt turbo. But before you install a new turbo, you need to address your oiling issue.

If you haven't already, read this:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2496002

Turbos fail for basically one of two reasons:

Oil starvation or ingestion of foreign material

You have a severe oiling issue. Potential bad oil pump but more likely a banjo filter did not get pulled and was at least partially clogged to start with.

if you don't fix the oiling, it will continue to eat turbos like a fat kid eats cake.

Do you recommend a new turbo or a rebuild once the oil is fixed?

either one is fine. Just make sure you don't install a used one that somebody said was rebuilt without first having it checked out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Guess who is back?! Since the last update. I had the new vf40 installed. Got the car back monday night. Drove it a little bit that night and a bit the next day. And yesterday the car decided to lose boost and the check engine light came on, which i found out the code is P0011. I read through some old threads. But the new turbo only has 90 miles on it. I did a few moderately heavy pulls, but nothing that was extreme red lining, bouncing off the limiter kind. Now it sounds like the compressor wheel is scraping the housing. Should i go for another turbo or rebuild that one. Any clues what the P0011 is? Possible oil clog at the banjo bolt? And it didn't start making the noise until after i was sitting in traffic not while i was accelerating

I didn't read the whole thread, didn't anyone tell you to remove the banjo filter before you installed a new turbo ?

Was you oil inspected for metal particles ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I didn't read the whole thread, didn't anyone tell you to remove the banjo filter before you installed a new turbo ?

Was you oil inspected for metal particles ?

I had it done for me since it was under warranty. But now i'm doing it so i'll make sure it is done right.

Pulled the turbo, in the process messed up a few bolts and bits. So ordering a new chra, nuts and bolts. The banjo bolt was pretty dirty i believe. But never seen one so that may be the cause of the p0011. Now my dad helped me pull the turbo and he said that i should get a new banjo bolt filter cause it helps with the oil pressure. Should i get one or not? And he also said i need to get the stock BOV cause that's part of the reason the turbos are blowing. Right now running 100% atmosphere. Is that true?

No, I still run the banjo filter. As I am the only owner of my car and have done all the maintenance myself I am confident of it's condition. A used car would need to have it replaced minimum, the debris in the oil system is what plugs them. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Also have a vf46 instead of the vf40. Meaning i should probably do any upgrades necessary for the differences

Nope, same stock turbo trim levels with some visual 5 Arc wizardry to make it "better than" the VF40. When you bump up to a VF52, (after all the issues are solved) you will then need an updated tune at the minimum.

Banjo filters removed with the one right at the turbo being the High Priority one.

Yeah filter is out. I'm just deciding now whether to do an upgrade on the oil lines. Thinking about pulling the up pipe as well, after looking through old posts, gutting the up pipe would probably be a smart choice. And it's funny because i didn't even notice that a vf46 was ordered and installed until i pulled it and check the P/N.

Good news. Got the turbo back on. Made sure all the oil lines were tight and connected and same for the coolant. Waiting on the nuts still for the exhaust. Missing one on the up pipe and 2 on the down pipe. Mid pipe is still disconnected as i'll probably still have to remove the DP to get that back on. Reset the check engine light and primed the system. Started the engine and let it sit for about 5 minutes. I know i spilled coolant all over the engine and exhaust so there's a reasonable amount of smoke coming from under the hood and under the car, some out the exhaust as well. Once i get the nuts i'll be sure to bolt everything back up and let it run for a decent amount of time. I'm hoping there is no leakage. I checked but with the smoke it's unclear to see if there is one.

Archived