LegacyGT.com

I need help! Turbo failure?

So today i was driving down the highway going about 70 mph in 5th gear. As of a few days ago a solid check engine light has come on with the flashing cruise control. I checked the forum on possibilities for the light, and it could be several possibilities. This morning when i started the car the lights were off. After driving about 15 miles it came back on and has been on since then. Back on topic, i was driving down the highway and i heard a noise in the engine bay. Coming from the right. It sounded like something fell or like a panel was flapping, it only lasted 2-4 seconds. I tried accelerating faster and the car didn't want to go. So i slowed down and downshifted and proceeded to accelerate and shift normally. But it stopped going into boost, it accelerated like a slow granny car. I stopped, unplugged the battery and pressed the brake a few times. Plugged it back in and drove off. I was low on gas so i kept it out of boost range (just in case it was boosting again; 3000+ rpm) and went right to the gas station. I filled it 1/2 way and took off again. Still no boost. I stopped at a light, took off, shifted to second, no boost and all a sudden at 5000 rpm i got a sudden rush of boost. Boost works but now there's a noise when accelerating. Kinda sounds like a box of puzzle pieces if you shake it up. Runs normally except for the noise.

I bought the car a month ago, it has 105,000 miles and idk what mods it has

Is it my turbo?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please stop driving it, and search for #ynansb :(

Sounds like the turbo blew. But the worse news is that usually sends evil gold colored glitter into the oil, which then proceeds to take out the engine pretty quickly.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I've driven it atleast 15 miles since last night, i checked the oil this morning and looks somewhat healthy, no particles or anything. Car is running like it normally would, just the noise now. Which is more prominent when building boost. Anything over 3000 rpm it can be heard. Doesn't make the noise while in nuetral, only seems to do it while in motion.

You'd only see the particles if you drain the oil - the particles drop to the bottom of the pan and you wouldn't really see them on the dipstick.

You had a couple of really good chances to stop driving and get the car checked out before any major damage. I'm not sure there's much "we" can do now.. Find a local trustworthy mechanic, get the car towed or have him come over and look at it.

I'm saying that most warranties you get with older cars actually come from a third party and are honored at places other than the dealership that you bought then car from. If the repair is covered by the warranty, then the cost will be the same regardless of where you have the repair done. I just went through a similar situation when my motor went belly up 4 months after I bought the car. The easy care warranty saved my ass.

I don't know that specific warranty company. Hopefully you have your receipts from the required maintenance. They will likely require you to prove that you had all the routine maintenance done at the required mileages.

I don't know that specific warranty company. Hopefully you have your receipts from the required maintenance. They will likely require you to prove that you had all the routine maintenance done at the required mileages.

Haven't even had the car for a month lol there was no maintenance, except of course oil which was $15 from walmart on black friday.

If the warrenty covers it consider it a blessing! You might get a new engine. And infact I would drive it a lot to make sure it wrecks the engine. Some of these warranty companies try to get away with minimal repairs if the engine tuens over and idles for more then a minute.

Wait for someone else to second this opinion, Im not that smart.

Well, i called the warranty company and the dealer never sent the papers or contacted the warranty company. So there is no warranty from the company. But i'm taking the car down on wednesday and they're supposed to check and see what's wrong with it. But i already told them it was a blown turbo and the owner said driving it wouldn't hurt it. So i'm dealing with a bunch of retards. And i know i shouldn't be driving it but i have no other choice, so i'm making it worse. I took the intercooler off and there's oil and miniature shavings. Which i've pretty much already ruined the engine. Looks like i'm picking up a new engine boys

You'd only see the particles if you drain the oil - the particles drop to the bottom of the pan and you wouldn't really see them on the dipstick.

You had a couple of really good chances to stop driving and get the car checked out before any major damage. I'm not sure there's much "we" can do now.. Find a local trustworthy mechanic, get the car towed or have him come over and look at it.

Nah, i was a fuktard and drove home to avoid the tow charge. Dipstick was bedazzled.

Well, i called the warranty company and the dealer never sent the papers or contacted the warranty company. So there is no warranty from the company. But i'm taking the car down on wednesday and they're supposed to check and see what's wrong with it. But i already told them it was a blown turbo and the owner said driving it wouldn't hurt it. So i'm dealing with a bunch of retards. And i know i shouldn't be driving it but i have no other choice, so i'm making it worse. I took the intercooler off and there's oil and miniature shavings. Which i've pretty much already ruined the engine. Looks like i'm picking up a new engine boys ����

Safe to drive on if you were in a bad neighborhood with no cell signal when the turbo blew. Safe as in minimal damage, nah its buttered toast. Extensive tear down is in your future.

I'd get on the dealer to send the papers off to the company they sold you before they have a chance to bow out of "coverage period".

Pull the papers out and see what you got in all those long paragraphs typed in the smallest font humanly possible to read. Website is vague on engine coverage where General Motors clearly states Turbocharger/Supercharger

At this point don't drain the oil or bother adding any additives to it. I'd still top off in the event they try to say low oil caused it.

FWIW, if you had a AAA membership you could have it towed for free.

Check out AAA, after you join, get there VISA card that giving you cash back, use that cash back to pay for the annual membership. Doing that can make the membership free.

Or get one of the other cash back CC's use use the cash back to pay for the membership.

With metal in the TMIC you need a total replacement from the tmic to oil pan, including oil cooler and oil pump. Do not take the car back until they prove they replace those.

Call them back and get it in writing that they told you to drive it to them. I guess at this point its to late anyways to save the heads and cams. How far is it...?

Have the number of a tow truck in your phone. Oh make that a Flat bed truck.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The last tow I got was regular tow truck but rear wheels had dollys. Say this like 10 times on the phone call and hope it's passed on. I had that issue with my DD where OnStar didn't tell them what I said and I had to wait for a 2nd truck to try and find me. FWD w/ spare and jack delete and the flat was a back tire. My date and I was on the way to the movies too.

Car is screwed. They told me to drive it, so i'm just doing what they said. Now the car is reving up and down between 2500-3000 rpm and it won't go pass 3000rpm in any gear. Will only let me go 25mph. It'll get to 3000rpm and just stop and drop and go again to 3000rpm.

Limp mode came on like as soon as i left my yard.

Yeah, the turbo's impeller shaft probably snapped, so now both sides are just sitting in the housings impeding flow from your now normally aspirated engine. Meanwhile, the particles (evil gold glitter) from the turbo's destroyed bushings are clogging up the oil filter, overwhelming it into bypass mode, and the particles are now circulating through all the engines bearings. Good times.

btw, I never welcomed you to legacygt.com - welcome!

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Not to mention the cam bearings.

Look about post # 186 in this for a picture of cam bearing.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/time-new-short-block-241004p5.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not to mention the cam bearings.

True - and since there are no cam bearing shells, if there is damage, then it is to the head casting itself. And the cams. Hope the OP gets this covered by warranty!

Archived