LegacyGT.com

I need help! Turbo failure?

The VF40 is not a terrible turbo. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the design or the turbo itself. Failure of these units falls directly on the shoulders of the owners of the car.

If you do correct and continuous maintenance, use good oil, don't drive like an asshole, and remember that it's actually a car and not a toy, the VF40 will last for easily 150K or longer. Many alternators and starters don't last that long and no one seems to think that's unreasonable-they just change it.

You can try to find information that the VF40 is a terrible turbo, but there is not one thing wrong with them except their owners.

That's almost exactly what the subaru mechanic said. He said poor maintenace would mess it up, which i know, but didn't really think it was that serious. I guess when i get it back from the garage, i'll be doing regular oil changes and logging it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A little update. So the mechanic said the tps sensor was bad and he replaced that, and still didn't fix the code that popped up. And now he's replacing the pedal sensor. I read in another thread the symptons on a bad tps, and it is similar. But if my turbo is blown and the seals and all have gone bad, or if the seals are fine. Wouldn't the oil from there eventually work into the throttle and mess up the tps? I told them it was a possibility of a blown turbo, which all the symponts and signs were there that's what it was too.

• 2 weeks later...
I need more help guys. So within the past few weeks i've been in contact with the mechanic working on my car. He said the tps and the accelerator sensor were messed up. Those were replaced and the codes still persisted. So they took the dash apart and narrowed it down to a wiring problem. They fixed the fuses and what not and the car is running almost perfectly again. Yet they cleared the codes and they keep coming back. He said the car runs without any bucking or chugging yet there is a noise in the engine. He never told me what kind of noise it is. What ended up happening from his diagnosis was a metal piece lodged itself in the throttle causing the problem which i thought was the turbo blowing. I'm guessing the noises and rattling stopped from what i thought was the turbo. But the thing that stumps me is there is no metal that could dislodge itself between the opening for the intake and the throttle. Only thing would be one of the compressor fins shredding itself against the housing. But if that were so the play in the compressor wheel would eventually grind all the fins off and make no boost.

Then they shouldn't have any reason to deny your claim. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've driven it atleast 15 miles since last night, i checked the oil this morning and looks somewhat healthy, no particles or anything. Car is running like it normally would, just the noise now. Which is more prominent when building boost. Anything over 3000 rpm it can be heard. Doesn't make the noise while in nuetral, only seems to do it while in motion.

So today i was driving down the highway going about 70 mph in 5th gear. As of a few days ago a solid check engine light has come on with the flashing cruise control. I checked the forum on possibilities for the light, and it could be several possibilities. This morning when i started the car the lights were off. After driving about 15 miles it came back on and has been on since then. Back on topic, i was driving down the highway and i heard a noise in the engine bay. Coming from the right. It sounded like something fell or like a panel was flapping, it only lasted 2-4 seconds. I tried accelerating faster and the car didn't want to go. So i slowed down and downshifted and proceeded to accelerate and shift normally. But it stopped going into boost, it accelerated like a slow granny car. I stopped, unplugged the battery and pressed the brake a few times. Plugged it back in and drove off. I was low on gas so i kept it out of boost range (just in case it was boosting again; 3000+ rpm) and went right to the gas station. I filled it 1/2 way and took off again. Still no boost. I stopped at a light, took off, shifted to second, no boost and all a sudden at 5000 rpm i got a sudden rush of boost. Boost works but now there's a noise when accelerating. Kinda sounds like a box of puzzle pieces if you shake it up. Runs normally except for the noise.

I bought the car a month ago, it has 105,000 miles and idk what mods it has

Is it my turbo?

All of this is deniable.

So i got my car back, after $1000 paid to the garage. There's still a rattling noise and now there's a wall of smoke from the exhaust whenever i first take off Being curious, i started working on it, first thing there was oil on the underside of the hood, top of the manifold and on the bov. Went and removed the IC. Turbo side was clean, no oil. Looked in the IC and it was coated with oil, so i removed the bov and checked the return vacum line for oil, it was clean and then i checked the throttle side. The hose there literally had a puddle of old oil sitting there. So i cleaned the hose best i could, drained the IC and reassembled everything. Started it up and took for a test, still billowing smoke, but if it's burning oil, it'll take a while to burn all that out of course. I've been told from a few people i could have a blown head gasket or when the tps was replaced it wasn't done right. Either way i'd say i lost 1/4 of the power it had. And the smoke is white and takes a while to dissipate

Is it like a heat shield rattle? I had one for years and now the motor is out it was the up pipe heat shield that broke at 2 of the welds and is floating around.

It might be. I haven't really gotten around to looking at any heat shields. I was going to take the heat shield off the turbo, but it doesn't move when i try to move it. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side whenever the noise does occur which is only at 3000+ rpm and now there's a clanking sound that just started today whenever i hit a small bump.

It might be. I haven't really gotten around to looking at any heat shields. I was going to take the heat shield off the turbo, but it doesn't move when i try to move it. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side whenever the noise does occur which is only at 3000+ rpm and now there's a clanking sound that just started today whenever i hit a small bump.

That sounds like my heat shield on my STi Up Pipe. Top half separated from botom half.

Call around and see if a local repair shop will do it cheaper.

Check the local forums to find a trusted mechanic.

No local shops want to deal with a subie lol. And i'll look into the forums. As of right now me and my dad are going to tackle some of it this sunday, i was looking tonight and found a loose heat shield on the bottom part of the turbo. Then we'll check for compression and so on.

Well i'm not doing anything, my local subaru dealer is charging 2300 for a head gasket. Meaning i'm already out 1/2 the amount i paid for the car.

Better to get it out the way now than later on. If it helps, search for the how much you spent on your car thread. I'm somewhere at $10k in parts that need refresh on top of the engine rebuild. There as a few not needed but why the hell not items in there too. I paid like $18k for mine back in 07 so I'm getting close to what the window sticker was in 05 for owner #1

Call around and see if a local repair shop will do it cheaper.

Check the local forums to find a trusted mechanic.

No local shops want to deal with a subie lol. And i'll look into the forums. As of right now me and my dad are going to tackle some of it this sunday, i was looking tonight and found a loose heat shield on the bottom part of the turbo. Then we'll check for compression and so on.

Yeah that sucks, How far are you from AZP in NJ? If you ever need a legit "dealership only can fix this mess" visit, Cherry Hill may be a hike but worth it.

Yeah that sucks, How far are you from AZP in NJ? If you ever need a legit "dealership only can fix this mess" visit, Cherry Hill may be a hike but worth it.

That's a 2 hour drive and i'm not sure a tow truck will drive that far. As of right now i have the main dealer attempting to fix it. This whole car situation is a mess right now. The place i got the car from was a fraud and wasn't listed under the DMV, they pretty much sold me a lemon. Repairs are well over 10k right now. Lol

Can you tell us what they are fixing ?

I've no clue what the problem is with the car, so i couldn't give you a definite answer. In my opinion a total engine rebuild is needed just to clear any possible problems. Pics and video uploads are coming sometime tonight just to show what's happening.

I've no clue what the problem is with the car, so i couldn't give you a definite answer. In my opinion a total engine rebuild is needed just to clear any possible problems. Pics and video uploads are coming sometime tonight just to show what's happening.

Damn...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived