LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BBPeik, the reason you have no overboost issues, as mentioned by fahr_side, is because the turbine of the 20g flows so much more than the stock turbo that the wastegate doesn't get backed up and out of control.

Trust me I know. I never said that my car was stock. I was just letting the folks know that there is another option with the invidia.:hide:

Edited by BBPeik

Fix is a very strong word in this case lol.

I would say noone with overboost has had a good porting job done to see if that is all that's needed. Personally, a larger flapper may be worth the trouble if it can be diy. I think paying for a port and larger flapper just doesn't make financial sense, I would go with a BNR 18g upgrade in that case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Good point at 700 I can figure something out plus don't we have other down pipe options ?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've got a nameless and turboxs catless sitting in my garage. I'd let both go for substantially less than I paid. PM me if you're interested

P.S. also FWIW I had overboost issues with both on a stock turbo, I wouldn't say one did it more than the other. I think the issue has less to do with the catalytic converter than we think. Take my statement with a grain of salt though because its based on nothing other than my own meandering experience

Edited by Apexofthevortex

How is this thread still going?

Every time this thread gets bumped up, I assume there's just going to be more depression and sadness. Even my wife is resigned to the fact that I'll probably eventually spend some more money on my car's exhaust.

I think, I'll have positive results. Just need to get the test. I'm scheming on that grimmspeed ebc and the wife is talking like we have some surplus cash so...

Once I get that, I'll throw on this new bpv and do it all since I'm down there.

I'll change these plugs then look forward to this tune. I really wish I could just pull the trigger on it but we've been at Lowe's the past 4 weekends. Just picked out blinds for the whole house yesterday. Came to the cost of a tune. 😔

I'll catch a break sooner or later...

Load up an ots stage 2 and monitor your knock and AFR. My guess is the WGDC will be too conservative to hit peak boost of 17.5 psi.

Just hold off on the ebcs until you get a base tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
...has anyone had their entire turbo ported and polished? I'm probably going to ship my stock turbo over to SoCal Porting and noticed that they offer a full port and polish service for a pretty decent price and was wondering if there is anything to be gained in addition to the wastegate porting?

...has anyone had their entire turbo ported and polished? I'm probably going to ship my stock turbo over to SoCal Porting and noticed that they offer a full port and polish service for a pretty decent price and was wondering if there is anything to be gained in addition to the wastegate porting?

Nope, most of this thread is talk with sprinkles of action every 50 pages or so...:lol:

If you would like to use the community turbine housing for a port job I would love to see what Socal porting can do. I got a PM from another member about it today but maybe they would be willing to hold off if you are ready to go now.

I know I've been talking but I think I'm close to pulling the trigger on a tune. Got most of the cash ready, just going to wait and see if the shop does a labor day discount .

If you're planning on taking it off and shipping it, might be worth taking it over to Tims Turbos in Falls Church. I talked with them sometime last year when I was trying to get my stuff figured out. Whoever I spoke too was really polite and seemed like they were more than willing to help

If you're planning on taking it off and shipping it, might be worth taking it over to Tims Turbos in Falls Church. I talked with them sometime last year when I was trying to get my stuff figured out. Whoever I spoke too was really polite and seemed like they were more than willing to help

...I've talked to them too and Tim's is the other shop I've been looking at. I was just leaning towands SoCal b/c of the othwr services offered and their rep. I wrote Blouch and FP, but never heard back from them. Having a local shop do this work is a huge plus though.

I will be getting a downpipe soon and I have been looking at the Invidia catted or catless one. How does it compare in performance to the Nameless downpipe, and which one would you guys recommend?

Invidia catted: Get a tune and go, no problems.

Invidia catless: You might have overboost issues which might be resolved with porting the IWG.

If I could do it over I would have bought an Invidia Catted DP.

My car is going to a different shop that is Subaru specific with an on-premise dyno and tuner Monday morning. Getting some routine maintenance done (oil change, 60k) as well as a spin on their dyno. Then I'm sure some discussions about the past/present/future will ensue. My expectation is at least a new tune, and at least a discussion about the exhaust that's on there and the wastegate "porting" I had done.

Back home. The rear diff magnetic drain plug contained a disturbing amount of metal, plus at least one piece that I'd consider larger than a "flake". Something I'll have to be mindful of. But everything has new fluid in it.

The car went on their dyno. The general prognosis is that at 95ish degrees, the car targets 17.5 but can only hit 14.5 right now, it's running rich, there's a dip in power for some reason, and the DAM isn't at 1. The tuner at HMS seems to be pretty sure he can make things better, but mentioned that the tune isn't completely awful or dangerous. Max numbers were 229.7 HP @ 5956 RPM and 252.8 Ft-Lbs @ 3074 RPM. I realize it's hot, but I'm willing to bet I was making more power earlier on the stage 1 tune. *sigh*

Here are some files from the runs. I believe datalog4.csv is actually a 4th gear pull. That was a long (and loud) pull. My car goes back on the dyno first thing Friday morning for a new pro-tune.

datalog4.csv

datalog6.csv

datalog7.csv

20170807_153941.thumb.jpg.2d8b64ec2ff534cd512d3250aa2ec88a.jpg

20170807_160109.thumb.jpg.3197e156288672e6a3d0239596032caa.jpg

Edited by Ellesedil

So the Stage 2 tune from English/Nameless was only good for 230hp/253tq? That's laughable.

Like I said, my car makes less boost later in the RPM range since the exhaust install + English tune compared to the OTS stage 1 map. Add in that their wastegate "porting" added 1 PSI of boost instead of reducing it, there's a lot of things that's laughable... if I didn't end up actually having to pay for that.

Right now, I'm willing to blame this fully on their tune... unless HMS ends up discovering some other issues during tuning. Then... well... $$$$$$$.

If you're up for the adventure to Auburn,WA JohnJohn has now tuned 3-4, iirc. Or have HMS maybe call up Infront and have a chat with him.

Out of curiosity how many total pulls did they do to get to this point?

I had three pulls done on the dyno mid-afternoon. There was no tuning today. I had to schedule that for Friday morning. How many pulls did the car go through when English was tuning it? Lots. With lots of experimentation to get the BPV, jpipe, and BCS to work together.

Steve, the tuner at HMS, mentioned he's tuned 5 or so 5th gens when I asked, most of which didn't have any other power mods. I'm content to see where things go on Friday.