LegacyGT.com

The GrimmSpeed Intake System

Code

this is a good spot for Q&A not related to the GB threads

I will be attempting to install this with the Racer X FMIC. It looks like it will work.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone install this with the Perrin inlet?

I ask because the inlet does not fit perfectly on the 05-06 model years.

I have a "WRX" style perrin inlet on an 05 LGT, I'll do a test-fit with the intake and see if there's an issue

I have a "WRX" style perrin inlet on an 05 LGT, I'll do a test-fit with the intake and see if there's an issue

Thanks man. I too have the Perrin inlet on an 06 and will be installing the intake Monday. Just curious of what to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Perrin inlet on my 05 OBXT, installed summer '14. Not sure if it's the WRX style or not but it wouldn't allow for reconnection of the stock bov/recirc hose.

The GS CAI fit to it w/o any problems. I had a harder time finagling the MAF wiring loom w/ the GS enclosure bc of the GM/AEM IAT sensor wiring I have that's spliced into the stock wiring (not a problem on GS' end).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnhzyz0q2vo62xd/photo%20oct%2014%2C%204%2056%2016%20pm.jpg?dl=0

My tune is scheduled for the 23rd! That means I'll have to get the fuel pump done this week and then throw the 3 port and intake before heading to the dyno.

Having Travis at Snail do your tune again?

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Thanks man. I too have the Perrin inlet on an 06 and will be installing the intake Monday. Just curious of what to expect.

Did a test install, and everything went where it was supposed to, although I didn't doubt it would. The power steering hose touches it a little bit, but it's minimal, and if i played with it a little more, I bet I could make it not, but i just tossed it on to see the install time (bout 15 minutes to get the filter on right and feed the MAF wiring through, did the edge seals beforehand)

20151016_132111.thumb.jpg.cd41c3512481493b2a6f9d59f612ba23.jpg

20151016_131757.thumb.jpg.993e2ca629345b3ad4133bbc716ee603.jpg

I test fitted everything today. The air box and intake fits with the Racer-X FMIC. THINGS GET PRETTY TIGHT where the p/s lines and FMIC piping pass below the intake tube. I am going to insulate the pipe with a sacrificial silicone coupler to eliminate any chance of rattles due to vibration.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I installed the GS CAI a couple of days ago, and applied a 12% MAF scaling increase. I haven't seen any knock in single gear pulls, so i've been laying into it more and more lately. I did see some shift knock w/ 3500-4000 rpm upshifts which I've always gotten in cooler temps, but applying a 12% increase to throttle tip-in to 'match' the 12% MAF scaling increase seems to have definitely helped w/ reducing occurances of that.

My car is a 05 OBXT w/ VF52, GS CAI :), Perrin inlet, IPR TMIC, GFB Respons BOV, GS EBCS, DW740, DW65c, Invidia catless UP, PnP/coated collectors, Cobb catted DP, Nameless Performance resonated mid/Y, stock mufflers. Peak boost target is 19.7 psi tapering to 16 by redline.

Anyway, on the way home tonight I was driving past my usual datalogging spot. I'm normally coming onto the roadway from an entrance ramp where I can do a 3rd gear pull from ~2200 rpm, but this time I was already on that stretch of road. Since there was light traffic approaching about 1/2 mi behind, I could only slow down enough to start a 3rd gear pull from ~3700 rpm. I loaded the datalog into an airboy spreadsheet and compared the results to a recent pull w/ the stock airbox w/ similar intake temps (~66F) on the same stretch of roadway.

Since this was 3rd gear instead of 4th and since this section of road is slightly uphill (~3% grade), the road dyno plots presumably read a bit lower than they would if on level ground and done in 4th (2 yrs ago the car made 303 whp / 339 wtq in 4th gear on a Mustang AWD-500-SE dyno). There is a very slight undulation in the road that I pass when the motor spins towards 6k rpm, which show up in the road dyno plots. Also, when stabbing the throttle in the 3500+ rpm range I'm seeing boost spikes > 1.25-1.5 psi which I haven't yet had time to dial out, so for tonight's pull I rolled onto the throttle at ~3700 rpm rather than flat out matting it, and boost overshoot was a much more reasonable 0.5-0.7 psi around 4000 rpm.

Airboy road dyno plot overlay should be attached to this post. Blue curves are wtq, red curves are whp.

W/ the GS CAI, it looks like I'm seeing 15-20 whp / 15-20 wtq gains w/ tonight's 3700-6600 rpm pull, with the gains increasing as rpm climb above 5700. I haven't had the car protuned for the intake yet, but suspect the MAF scaling needs to be bumped slightly b/c I'm seeing 0.75-1 psi more boost above 5200 rpm compared to w/ the stock airbox, yet calculated engine load is the same. A contributing factor appears to be that w/ the GS CAI installed, MAF Voltage is slightly lower than w/ the stock airbox. I don't expect this to be a problem b/c open loop fueling from the original protune hits its richest values at loads above 2.66 g/rev, and I'm well above that through the entire WOT pull.

Good stuff Grimmspeed :)

stock_airbox_vs_GS_CAI_3rd_incline.jpg.41dfa4fc67f5eb5b8702e85b91d805f9.jpg

...applying a 12% increase to throttle tip-in to 'match' the 12% MAF scaling increase seems to have definitely helped w/ reducing occurances of (shift knock)

Just curious. On all the ROMs I've seen, tip-in compensation is done via injector pulse width and throttle angle delta. I don't recall having seen any tables with one axis as engine load or mass airflow. Care to elaborate on this?

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply there was a link b/n TIE and load/MAF. While doing a bunch of datalogging to/from work, I noticed that w/ the original TIE values, I was seeing AFR swinging to the high 11's a bit longer after engaging the next gear w/ the GS CAI than w/ the stock airbox, under similar operating/shifting conditions. I do not have a WBO2, so I realize this is a course analysis at best. What I did notice however, was that almost every one of the 6 to 8 1st-4th shifting intervals on the way to work, exhibited FBKC a split second after each gear shift when I was applying 40-60% throttle. W/ the 12% higher TIE, all but 2 of those 6 to 8 1st-4th shifting intervals were shift knock free during the drive home. Might simply be coincidence, and I do plan on reverting the TIE to see what happens. I recall a pretty exhaustive thread related to shift knock w/ I think LittleBlueGT et al which resulted in ppl pretty much giving up on trying to tune it out.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply there was a link b/n TIE and load/MAF. While doing a bunch of datalogging to/from work, I noticed that w/ the original TIE values, I was seeing AFR swinging to the high 11's a bit longer after engaging the next gear w/ the GS CAI than w/ the stock airbox, under similar operating/shifting conditions.

Oh, I see.

I do not have a WBO2, so I realize this is a course analysis at best.

May I ask how you plan to accurately scale the MAF without a WBO2? Have you moved your front O2 into the downpipe?

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived