LegacyGT.com

LED's for Turn Signals

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AMEN Brother...they want their name on my car...there's a fee associated with that they won't pay. Maybe it's just me but dealers putting their names on cars is just worthless. It's not like I see a car and think...I should go to "XYZ" and look at cars:spin:

First thing I do is get rid of the decal and/or license plate frames...drives me crazy:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone with the iJDM toy 7440 LED's felt how hot the resistor box gets? I've had these before but didn't ever check how hot they got. Anyone willing to leave their blinkers on for a few minutes and check ?

The reason I'm asking is because this time I went a different route (read post #22) and am concerned with how hot the resistor's are getting after just a 30 seconds with the blinkers on. I'm a bit worried that they could melt something / catch fire actually.

I had the iJDM 7440 LED option on my VW Passat for over a year without any issues, so I'm considering ditching the current set-up and buying the iJDM kit.

Ok,moved to this thread for turn signal specifics. I noticed on post #5, that they're talking about the same light from iJDM store: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Hyper-Flash-7440-LED-Turn-Signal-Light-Bulbs-p/20-001.htm . which I found today.

It states that no external wiring or resistors needed? Anyone tried these?

They are a bit pricey for the pair. Actually might the same if you factor the need for external resistor kit.

Question - Has anyone tried installing LED bulbs WITHOUT resistors?

As I talked about earlier during my installation I had to cut some wires to make everything fit right. Today I went out to try and clean up the job & make it cleaner, I disconnected the load resistor and installed just the LED to see what happened, and no hyper flash.....?

I've never installed LED's in a blinker location without load resistors before, but now I'm wondering, do we even need them? Maybe it's just temporary that they were working right?

Anyone care to weigh in? This would save everyone some $$$ if we find out we don't need load resistors.

1 resistor might draw enough current to prevent hyperflash, so if you had one in the back and removed the front one, or vice versa, you might be fine. Most likely a different story if you pull both resistors on a side.

I know this was an old discussion, but I now know the science behind what went on in this situation thanks to the DC electricity class I'm taking. Didn't expect to be able to put power equations to practical use so soon:lol: Anyway, by calculating the power and current for both incandescent and LED scenarios, we can understand why AirBorne didn't have hyperflash with only 1 resistor on a side.

Incandescent:

A standard 7440 bulb is 21 watts, hence the W21W name (W=wedge 21W=21 watts). 21w at 12v = 1.75A (amps). Two of these (1 front, 1 rear) equals 42w and 3.5A.

LED:

Most load resistors are 50w 6ohm, which draw 2A of current at 12v. The JDM Astar bulbs consume 6w of power which equals 0.5A. Add 2A for the resistor + 0.5A for the front LED + 0.5A for the rear and you get 3A. This is only 0.5A short of the 3.5A that incandescent bulbs draw. This is close enough to not cause hyperflash, which normally happens when a bulb is burned out and ~1/2 the normal current is being drawn. Note that if you use 25w 8ohm resistors, you will need one at each corner as they only draw 1.5A.

I tested this using these white LEDs (which I have in the rear as backup lights thanks to tail-as-turn) [ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P5X67PE?psc=1]Amazon.com: (PACK OF 2) top quality 7440 7441 W21w T20 CREE 30w Auto LED DRL Break Back-up Tail Light 2014 #9gt20sw (White): Automotive[/ame] and 50w 6ohm resistors in the rear only. Works great, no hyperflash, and the backward-firing LEDs really fill the reflector nicely. I'm going to order a set in amber for the turn signals, will hopefully get some pics up of how they look when I get them.

geoffreak, So it wasn't just a bulb swap. The kit came with resistors which had to be added into the wiring to make it work?

I guess it depends what you call a bulb swap. I unplugged the old bulb, plugged the old connector into the resistor and the resistor into the new bulb. You can't plug the bulb in directly with this kit.

geoffreak. Thanks. So there's an additional piece. The advertising for most of these bulbs suggest true "plug-n-play". Which for me is remove the old bulb and insert new one. I would expect they integrated the resistor or whatever is needed into the bulb design vs. just provide the additional hardware. Good to know these worked for your application. As Airborne posted earlier, he had fitment issues with the resistor kit in the rear lenses.

andrew_l_s, the calculations are correct. However, I believe the Front & Rear are configured in parallel vs. series. So with the standard bulbs in both F\R, they would draw 3.5A, which is 42W. When 1 burns out, as you stated, it's only going draw 1.75A. The 21Watt bulb equates to 6.86 ohms of resistance. So if you put a big enough resistor either in front or rear, we shouldn't need them on both.

edit..reread andrew's post. Were saying the same thing, his calculations were for parallel.

securityguy, So I may have over researched the tail light LEDs. I've numerous reviews from both this site and others. There's some conflicting information even when they are referring to the same bulbs from iJDM which you used. Some say they did hyperflash. Some say it came with external resistors. It's seems that the newest versions are working without hyperflashing or the need for external resistor installation.

Took your advice and just placed my order for 4 amber turn LEDs from iJDMtoy. There running a 15% discount right now. Total was around $86.

I know I t's been recommended to pick up at least a set of iJDMToy's LED Turn Signal bulbs for the rear turn signals. I may end up getting two sets if I can't find some good Switchbacks for the front. XenonDepot has a few to choose from as well - has anyone tried Putco Plasma LED or Putco LED "wedge style" bulbs out?

I'm leaning toward the Putco Plasma LED's, but it's hard to argue with the results from your all's iJDM Toy's!

I know I t's been recommended to pick up at least a set of iJDMToy's LED Turn Signal bulbs for the rear turn signals. I may end up getting two sets if I can't find some good Switchbacks for the front. XenonDepot has a few to choose from as well - has anyone tried Putco Plasma LED or Putco LED "wedge style" bulbs out?

I'm leaning toward the Putco Plasma LED's, but it's hard to argue with the results from your all's iJDM Toy's!

Looking at the two you posted... I would toss out the "wedge style" one right off the bat. The output wouldn't be very much at all. The Plasma one looks pretty good though, but it appears you would have to do the separate load resistor as well.

Looking at the two you posted... I would toss out the "wedge style" one right off the bat. The output wouldn't be very much at all. The Plasma one looks pretty good though, but it appears you would have to do the separate load resistor as well.

Thanks for the quick reply, 1692! I'll be sure to ask Steve, or another Rep of XD if that's the case.

Just to be clear - you're recommending the iJDM ones that I linked, and they do NOT need a load resister? They are very similar to the "Putco wedge LEDs", but seem to have more diodes, so I guess I'm a little confused!

Thanks for any clarification!

There is actually a load resistor that comes with the iJDM ones as well... I think in my first post in the thread it actually shows the lights themselves with the resistors. With the heat dissipation necessary, there won't be any that you can find at this time that won't require some sort of load resistor somewhere in the full circuit. Until the technology changes at least... :)

The "wedge" ones that you posted just don't have as good of a light output that you would want, especially for a turn signal. I used to have a set exactly like that, and you could barely see the light out of the reflector in the daytime... so I deemed them unsafe and took them out right away. Granted, this was also on my old 2nd gen Legacy.

There is actually a load resistor that comes with the iJDM ones as well... I think in my first post in the thread it actually shows the lights themselves with the resistors. With the heat dissipation necessary, there won't be any that you can find at this time that won't require some sort of load resistor somewhere in the full circuit. Until the technology changes at least... :)

The "wedge" ones that you posted just don't have as good of a light output that you would want, especially for a turn signal. I used to have a set exactly like that, and you could barely see the light out of the reflector in the daytime... so I deemed them unsafe and took them out right away. Granted, this was also on my old 2nd gen Legacy.

Good to know! Thanks! So the Putco Plasma LEDs coming with a load resistor is no different than the iJDMs? So not a deal breaker?

Just to make sure I'm not looking at the wrong iJDMs (they have a ton), could you link me to the exact ones you'd recommend? Sorry if you've already done so earlier in this thread, but there are a number of different products that have been linked so far, so I just want to make sure I'm looking at the same ones you and securityguy are referring to! Thanks a ton!

Archived