LegacyGT.com

Help something bad happend!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the mods Im going to have installed are dw65c fuel pump, 850cc injectors, cobb ac port with tune, and the turbo. Im also having the shop check and see if my uppipe is aftermarket or stock if its stock im going to have them put a new one in I already have a cobb downpipe. am I missing anything for this turbo?

From what i know/read, a hta68 is best on e85, and a lag monster on 91-93. I'd stick with a vf52 with the mods you suggested and if this is dd for highway commuting.

What about the engine? Having it rebuilt? I feel like we're going to hear from you again with a blown engine and turbo real soon...

Sent from my XT1028

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

what do you guys think of this turbo? Is it worth the money?

Fresh rebuilt 7cm FP HTA68 by John Peirce, 0 miles, Upgraded oiling at center support bearing and journal bearing, upgraded thrust plates, and upgraded piston ring seals, light inlet and compressor housing polish, 6/6 billet wheel for quicker spool than FP 12 wheel $1050

I know who is selling this turbo and it's a very nice turbo but I will say that there was virtually no appreciation for the amount of work that I put into this complete recondition and upgrade. My prices are fair on all the rebuilding and upgrading I do for everyone, and I make sure that every unit I put out is completely and absolutely the best work I can do, but this particular person nitpicked me to death over a small amount of money and now he is trying to make substantially more than what he paid me for the recondition and using my name as a selling feature. I will say that I will not stand behind this turbo or the person that I did the work for because of the complete lack of gratitude and how the entire transaction ended up.

Buy this turbo at your own risk and know that I always stand behind what I do for you, but not for him.

From what i know/read, a hta68 is best on e85, and a lag monster on 91-93. I'd stick with a vf52 with the mods you suggested and if this is dd for highway commuting.

What about the engine? Having it rebuilt? I feel like we're going to hear from you again with a blown engine and turbo real soon...

Sent from my XT1028

This needs to be remedied before the turbo gets installed. I did a bunch of oil changes back to back after cleaning the pan when the original VF 40 popped and still it wasn't enough.

Forgot to ask, OP are you driving this car now or is it sitting up for a bit?

Back in the day my Tuner told me the HTA68 would be fine with the supporting mods and a tune. I didn't feel like doing all the other expense for a DD.

I'm glad I went with a vf52.

you should do the minimum right now to make sure the engine is ok before you spend a lots of $$$$'s on Mod's.

You had metal in the oil...you need to make sure the engine is healthy before you move into much more HP.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If I go with. The vf52 I would need all the mods I'm going to purchase anyway and the price isn't that bad so it's not as much the money I'm worried about its will the car be able too handle that turbo without upgrading the Pistons ect engine upgrade. I'm def getting new injectors and fuels pump along with a tune. Either way I go that is gonna happen the car was giving me a misfire in all 4 before the turbo blew and I was planing on getting new injectors anyway. The guy that's selling the fp turbo also has a set of 750cc injectors he will discount if I get the turbo off him. Honestly that turbo is only about $150 more than the vf52 with the upgraded billet I found and the fp was built by jmp which makes me very confident in the purchase. The shop I'm going to is recommending that when they clean the oil pan that I also install a killer b oil pickup and windage tray. This info is coming from Ray at azpinstalls

Read my sig. I have been at 21psi over 56,000 miles on stock fueling with the vf52. The vf52 has over 65,000 miles at 21psi. I put it on a year before I did the ej257.

May be contact my Tuner www.tuningalliance.com talk with him and see what he say's, I'm sure you'll be fine with his tune.

I just hope your sure you have all the metal out of the oil system.

You have a 2006, I have to agree with Ray, you'll want to change out the oil pick up tube.

Is the car at their shop ? if yes, that makes me feel better.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I just got a friend of mine to give me a guy that rebuilds subaru engines at home info. Im gonna get the car towed to his house and hes gonna drop the pan for me to check everything out before I order any parts. he said the same thing if there is metal that should be my main worry not the turbo. wish me luck im hopping we drop that pan and its just clumpy oil.

• 3 weeks later...
we are putting the turbo in this weekend and the mechanic is telling me to run the car with the tune that comes built in the cobb tuner for a few hundred miles before I take it to the dyno shop to get a proper tune on it. the reason for that is hes afraid that all the shavings from the blown turbo might be in some of the lines and possibly in the engine already. he wants me to change the oil a few times before I dyno it so we can make sure there isn't any metallic coloring at all in the oil and we got all of it out before we push it hard as they will do when they dyno it. I'm going to put a mild boost on it around 18psi but I want to make sure I don't blow my engine first. is he correct in waiting or should I go get the tune as soon as I put all the parts on the car?

Did he find any metal in the oil pan ?

I assume you have a new vf52 ?

The oil cooler has been known to hold metal and release it over time.

its a brand new vf52 with a billet upgrade by gerret, I purchased a killer b oil pickup and windage tray, 850cc injectors, and a dw 65c fuel pump. is there anything I'm missing or should buy as a precaution? new oil lines maybe?

The oil lines should be ok if the pan was clean.

Can I assume the banjo filter is still in place ? In your case its a good thing for a while.

we are doing everything on Friday morning since its probly gonna take all day to install all the parts so I have time If I need anything. he said he drained the oil and seen some metallic in it. the bottom of the pan had some grit but he needs to raise the engine alittle and remove the mounts to get to the pan which we are doing Friday morning.

You may want to have him pull the oil feed lines and rinse them out with clean oil.

The oil cooler should be replaced too if there's any thought's it may have metal in it.

we dropped the pan and removed the turbo today. the shaft was broken in half, wheels were destroyed and the pan had metal chunks in it. from what I see the chunks were to big to go through the pickup screen. and I didn't see any small pieces anywhere. turbo goes on tomorrow. hope all goes well and Ill have car back to normal within a week. gonna drive it around for a few hundred miles and change the oil 2 more times before I take it to get tuned, but ill stay off the boost.

Archived