LegacyGT.com

Oldskoolbiker's '08 Outback XT Cosworth, EFR 7153 Build

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice video, Delmar. I'm not much of a suspension junkie, but do the Fortune's really match up with the rest of your build and the track time that your car sees?

Edit: So many people whining about the sound of your car. Turbos make that noise even with IWGs (mine does with a 16g) and it's completely normal. So many youtube trolls who have zero clue what they are hearing / talking about.

BMB. I think the 510s will work out nicely. I only had them on track once and that time was mostly a shakedown of the engine. It was understeering a lot when I had it out, but I didn't have a good alignment, also my ball joints are shot. Getting that stuff taken care of next week. I'll have it back out at VIR in Sept.

Yeah I like the sound and purposely asked for the atmosphere dump of the EWG, and the EBCS causes the fluttering. It does result in a unique sound. Sounds much better in person than on video. The car is SUPER loud when that EWG is kicked in, but just normal driving around it doesn't get attention.

• 1 month later...
You must be getting to know VIR pretty well now. Do you ever go out with an instructor or do you ever compare times to similarly powered cars?

My friend Tim Mills is an instructor and he has a 2006 STI full race car. He is a really great driver as well. He is a bit faster than me around the track in his car. I'm faster on the straights but he is faster in the turns.

The last weekend I ran a few laps with a guy with a 2013 BMW M3 (suspension mods and track tires, he said he didn't have any power mods). I was running slightly faster than him. After I passed him, he was behind me for a few laps. He said he was slightly faster in the straights, but I pulled away from him in the turns.

There were 2 C7 Stingrays and a C6 Z06 in my group. I was faster than the C6 Z06 and one of the C7 stingrays. The other was slightly faster than me, so those differences are probably the driver.

The only cars in my group faster than me were a C7 Z06, Nissan GTR, Lotus Evora (barely faster than me), a highly modified E30 M3, a highly modified Ford Mustang, and a Porsche 911.

Generally unless highly modified I'm faster than most street cars except high end sports cars like C7 Z06, Nissan GTR, Porsche 911.

I'm about the same speed as newer M3, Porsche Cayman S, even most Corvettes (including C7 unless highly modified).

Of course the driver also has a lot to do with it, but I'm running in the advanced group so people should be able to drive.

I just found this video on Youtube. This was a guy in a C7 corvette. We were running really similar times. I stayed in front of him for the first 1/2 of the session, then once he caught me after hitting some traffic I decided to let him on by. I backed off a bit the second 1/2 of the session, but by the end he was still in my sights only the Lotus Evora got between us. He had two other Corvette buddies (A C6 Z06 and another C7 which we dusted).

• 1 month later...

Awesome build oldskoolbiker!

I am doing a 500whp+ OBXT build based on a EFR 7163 TS and looking for recommendations to upgrade my suspension with DD/sleeper objective in mind.

(going Stoptech BBK for brakes w/R4S pads.)

One option that seems to be repeatedly recommended is the Bilstein 5056J coilover kit.

Why did you not choose that kit?

I do not have plans to race but I do take many long interstate trips - would like to improve handling without making the ride excessively harsh over Nevada's cracked asphalt...

Also, I do take the car onto dirt roads so I would like higher than a Legacy clearance,

~1" lower than US Outback will be okay, but preferably not much lower.

How do you like your Fortune 5XX kit (especially on "bad" asphalt/gravel,) and can you recommend the best configuration that will match my daily driving (no racing) above?

Thanks in Advance!

Actually, given all the precautions I am taking in building up the motor

Everything forged, WPC treatment and TS2 coating on all components,

0.0028" clearance, closed block,

engine block preheater, remote starter, etc.,

and since I do not abuse/race the car,

I expect this motor build to last 50-60K, at the very least.

ppl with less careful builds who actually do race their cars have reached these high mileage values so there is no reason to be pessimistic...

I mean, if you've got the cashola who cares right? If I made well into the six figures, and lived alone, my DD would be a 6MT OBXT with a Cosworth longblock, on some Ohlins coilovers.

Sunday car would be a 911 GT3 :)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Awesome build oldskoolbiker!

One option that seems to be repeatedly recommended is the Bilstein 5056J coilover kit.

Why did you not choose that kit?

I do not have plans to race but I do take many long interstate trips - would like to improve handling without making the ride excessively harsh over Nevada's cracked asphalt...

Also, I do take the car onto dirt roads so I would like higher than a Legacy clearance,

~1" lower than US Outback will be okay, but preferably not much lower.

How do you like your Fortune 5XX kit (especially on "bad" asphalt/gravel,) and can you recommend the best configuration that will match my daily driving (no racing) above?

Thanks in Advance!

You are asking someone whose priorities are track driving on how they think their suspension works on gravel? His suspension is set-up for track driving...the answer is uncomfortable. The 5056J kit is not a track ready coilover (only 1 inch lower than USDM is not enough).

Look at the cars he can keep up with. There is nothing "Outback" left, except looks.

The ONLY kit (and I mean the ONLY) that lowers an Outback ~1 lower is the BTS5056J, everything else out there (unless you go custom) is going to be around Legacy height (Oldskoolbiker is lower than a stock Legacy).

Unfortunately there just isn't a lot of demand for Outback struts so nothing was made.

However, you can always add spacers on top of Legacy struts to get you up to a height you want (it just feels janky).

Good luck with your suspension search...there really aren't a lot of options out there if you are trying to stay Outback height. Probably your best bet is to get something custom made.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes I really didn't need to reposition my hands on the wheel. Nice improvement.

EDIT: Just checked video. Old setup the steepest turn I had to turn the wheel almost 180 degrees. New setup I turned the wheel a little over 90 degrees. So like maybe

120 vs 170 degrees for old vs new on the steepest turn at Summit.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived