LegacyGT.com

Lug nuts coming loose

bluesuby

I'm going nuts with the wheel lug nuts coming loose. Stock wheels and lug nuts on an 05 LGT. The lug nuts were initially torqued to to 70 lb/ft. After experiencing some issues, they were retorqued to 74 lb/ft. After driving some 500 miles I experienced noise and stopped to check. Same issue, 3 of 5 loose on the left front, 2 of 5 loose on the front right. Rears seem to be ok.

So I'm thinking. If there is a weak link with either the lug or the nut subject to distortion due to age, I'm guessing the lug itself is a lot harder because it bears the stress, and the nut could have be damaged by tire shops gunning it on.

My first attempt for a fix will be taking the 4 pristine nuts returned to me when Subaru fitted McGard locking wheel nuts and installing the new old nuts on the left front. I'm also going to attempt to use Loctite blue threadlocker (non-permanent) on the right front. If everything remains good I'll probably replace all the lug nuts and apply some loctite as insurance.

A trusted mechanic tells me me that 70-74 lb/ft is kind of light. He has torqued wheel nuts to 100 but some of his work is heavier American cars with beefier lugs.

Any thoughts or cautions are welcome. I need to get this fixed!

I wanna say 90+ is where ours are supposed to be. Maybe 96? So yeah, 70 seems pretty low. My ford focus was around 100 as well.

Sent from my XT1028

All I can say is "Thank you Haynes manual". Still looking for comments and help.

A quick Google search tells me the FSM says about 72'ish ft-lbs. I guess I usually use a little more. I don't think people usually have an issue with loosening wheel lugs even at these torques.

Are you sure your torque wrench is calibrated properly?

A quick Google search tells me the FSM says about 72'ish ft-lbs. I guess I usually use a little more. I don't think people usually have an issue with loosening wheel lugs even at these torques.

Are you sure your torque wrench is calibrated properly?

Torqued them twice with 2 different wrenches. Some Google searches show torque values all over the place, with a Discount Tire chart showing 90 lb/ft. I think I'll try that first. There are some postings about lug nuts falling off or coming loose, so although the number is small I'm not alone with this. Funny. Years ago I didn't pay any attention to using a torque wrench. Just tightened to grunt factor and never had issues.

You might want to look at the inside surface of the wheels. Are they flat and clean ?

I have always put anti-seize on all the lug nuts and torque them to 80ftlbs.

I also torque the nuts once then a second time before I drive the car.

You are doing the torque in a cross pattern not in a circle, right ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I will say that a few of these cars seem to have an issue with lose lug nuts. My ski buddy had an 05 OBXT and he had lose wheels a few times over the years. He traded it on a 2014 OB.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Maybe a new set of lug nuts would help - Is it possible the threads got spread a little and are not mating tightly with the wheel studs? If that doesn't work new studs too?

Since torquing them to 90 (per the Discount Tire chart) no more issues, although I will be checking them regularly. I don't know where the 70-72 info is coming from, but that seems to be a contributing factor.

Thats good news. The torque should be 89 ft/lbs (but srsly, 90 ft/lbs ain't gonna destroy/damage anything). However, older foresters and a couple of older subies (forgot the model names :p) are the ones that I know of that require 70 - 72 ft/lbs of torque.

• 2 months later...

Archived