LegacyGT.com

Bulb Guide

Deer Killer

GeorgeB - Over the stock bulbs, yes, the Phillips were an improvement. Slightly whiter color temperature, and slightly brighter. Whether or not the expense of the bulbs versus your stock bulbs will be "worth" the modification, to you, though, will be dependent upon how you perceive the output color/brightness as an individual. :)

Han'sGT - Don't worry about the color temperature too much. Our eyes, biologically, actually respond better in the yellower part of the color spectrum, so having a bit of yellow (lower end of the 4000-5000 Kelvin range) can be very beneficial in terms of adding better depth perception, etc., to your night-time vision.

Most factory-OEM HID systems are in the 4300 to 4600 Kelvin range. Typically, the "blue/violet/purple/indigo" that's perceived by oncoming traffic as well as the "rainbow" at the edge of such lighting when viewed from inside the cockpit are actually simply artifacts (undesireable) from the optics/ballast setup of these systems - which are designed instead to provide "stark white" color to the driver.

What is the output of our stock setup (low and high)?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have Cuzo H3 bulbs (ultra white) in my driving lights and one of them burned out today. I just installed them last September. 5 to 6 months doesn't seem long to me. I only drive about 125 miles a week. Work is only 4 miles away...

I also have the same brand and color for my headlights and highbeams. So far those are fine...but now I have to change my driving light bulbs. Can anyone recomend a good long-lasting brand of ultra white driving light bulbs?

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Generic 100W H3's ~<$5

about 80 days, between 30-80 lights-on miles per day.

That's not much... but it's whiter (and actually brighter, vs whiter and dimmer for tinted bulbs) than stock and probably comes out to a much better per-dollar value than any tinted bulb you can buy.

i.e. from the above numbers I could run these for ~320 days and equal the cost of _one_ pair of silverstars. Of course it would be much longer than that because come summer, they get very little use.

Screw the fad bulbs. Might as well buy a tornado gas saver that "spin" the air for your turbo car.

Ya, it sounds like the silverstars are worthless. Maybe I should just get generics. I thought about re-installing the stock Driving light bulbs (I kept them), but then they wouldn't match the ultra white headlights. I also could go with some standard yellow fog lights. I haven't made up my mind on that yet.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

• 1 month later...
i have slyvania silver star headlights in my 03 forester and my 03 ZO6 corvette for over a year, no problems, just installed a complete set (9005ST, H7,H3) silver star's in my 06 lgt., what a difference, brighter WHITE light, more detailed/sharper, and yes the other two cars same difference, much improved, purchased at Auto Barn.com, $19.95@ free shipping over $100, HID's from factory are better than kits from what i've seen, silver stars good bang for the buck, bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

• 1 month later...

fyi, there is a difference between Sylvania Silverstars and Osram Silverstars. the Sylvanias (sold in the US) have a slight blue tint to make them appear white. The Osrams are available in Europe and are higher output (same wattage) without the tint, more comparable to the Philips VisionPlus and Power Plus bulbs.

i bought H4 bulbs for my MR2 from http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/ . Free shipping anywhere in the world, and they're quite fast and responsive. They also usually toss in some extras, like a free pair of foglight bulbs or side marker bulbs.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey bro,

The "problem" with the SilverStars (USDM Sylvania), in terms of huge variability in life-span, seems to be isolated to the headlamp bulbs.

However, note that with the Sylvania SilverStar turn-signal bulbs, you'll still see some amber as well as "blue-ion" appearance, even with the lights turned "off" (i.e. the bulb should be "silver"/clear-ish under such conditions), depending on how ambient light hits it.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i have slyvania silver star headlights in my 03 forester and my 03 ZO6 corvette for over a year, no problems, just installed a complete set (9005ST, H7,H3) silver star's in my 06 lgt., what a difference, brighter WHITE light, more detailed/sharper, and yes the other two cars same difference, much improved, purchased at Auto Barn.com, $19.95@ free shipping over $100, HID's from factory are better than kits from what i've seen, silver stars good bang for the buck, bosco

all my Silver Stars are still working in all the cars. :lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

all my Silver Stars are still working in all the cars. :lol: bosco

^ That's the thing - it seems that the US-market Sylvanias are very, very inconsistent in terms of bulb-life. Heck, the same can even be said for the euro Osrams, but they're somewhat better.

I've had great luck with US-market Sylvanias, with the exception of only one of my more recent purchases. Most have gone well over the 2-year mark, with countless burn-hours.

The problem, though, is definitely there......

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

So, since noone posted I think I have tracked down the right ones and might have my family purchase them in the states and mail them here.

To anyone that already has the Sylvania Silverstar Turnsignals in thier LGT in the correct bulb the 3157AST?

http://www.bulbman.com/images/3157ast.jpg

^ Sorry, bruddah! I didn't realize it was your family back home who was trying to get the bulbs to you! I thought your post meant that you needed a Euro source, which is why I didn't post! :redface:

I'll take a look and see if I still have the blister-pack back-home. That should help lock things in. :)

It "looks" right, though, by-sight, and also, it seems that the "ST" designation, judging from Sylvania's official website:

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/AutoLRG-Results.htm

- is their notation for the SilverStar line, and as-such, would make the blister-pack you've shown, Andrew, the correct item.

Let me see, though, if I've still got my old blister-pack sitting in my garage, 'cause I'd like to get a confirmation for you as you're overseas.

----

As for "color," again, these aren't truly either "clear" nor "silver." They have a surface coating on them that makes them appear "ion silver" (think about a grease-patch on asphalt, after it rains) in appearance when no power is supplied to the bulb. However, if the light catches it just right, you will see some yellow/amber poke through, even when the light is off.

If you want "true" clear/silver, I would recommend that you go the route of LEDs.