LegacyGT.com

Bulb Guide

Deer Killer

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rushin posted: as per the Sylvania website 2008s fogs are h3 however the bulb is different. Can someone please tell me what bulb goes into 2008 fogs?
Legacy, Outback or Impreza? Owners manual?????????????????????????????????

Depending on what part of the model year your car was made - early on or later - the assembly process may have involved a supplier and / or equipment change-over ... and your owner's manual should explain this - by the month / year of production on the metal tag affixed to the car. Diver's door column ......

Or ............ just take the bad bulb to a parts store. They can identify the critter for you.

Edited by SubieDoobieDoo

Legacy, Outback or Impreza? Owners manual?????????????????????????????????

Depending on what part of the model year your car was made - early on or later - the assembly process may have involved a supplier and / or equipment change-over ... and your owner's manual should explain this - by the month / year of production on the metal tag affixed to the car. Diver's door column ......

Or ............ just take the bad bulb to a parts store. They can identify the critter for you.

FYI the Manual is incorrect for MY2008. Post above is correct ID for a 2008 Legacy....

An *INCREDIBLY* useful website for lighting / light bulb questions is:

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

That was what I was going to recommend.

Good source for some super bright LEDs:

http://www.v-leds.com/

I've got them all over my pickup.

The coolest ones are the front turn signals, that go from a white running lamp to an amber blinker:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/Turn-Signal-LED/White-LED/TYPE-2-DUAL-COLOR-CHANGING-p5846227.html

and these super bright reverse lamps!

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/License-Plate-LED/White-LED/V-LEDS-HIGH-POWER-18W-p7516915.html

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/images/products/car/ba15/115x-24.jpg

www.superbrightleds.com Type 1157 bulb. 24 LED's in a cluster. WOW!!

36561.jpg

www.v-led.com shows THIS as their Type 1157 bulb ........... Doesn't look like an LED assembly to me. (Sorry, but I wanna actually *see* what I'm buying!)

The www.superbrightleds.com 1157's are UNGODLY bright! They're nuclear! Example: Hit the brakes and the drivers behind you will need sunglasses! (Just kidding! But they ARE *really* bright!)

When I replaced one side of my Sube brake bulbs with these - and had my lovely wife verify they were OK - she was ASTONISHED they were *SO* much brighter than the filament bulb opposite! When I told her they were expensive but would last MUCH longer than incandescent, she was first to the owner's manuals to make a list of every possible bulb we could order - for BOTh cars.

Couple of years now and not ONE of these has been defective! Except for high beams on our Acura, I don't think there's an incandescent bulb remaining in either car if I could reach it and replace it with an LED assembly ........

Rgds,

Edited by SubieDoobieDoo

http://www.superbrightleds.com/images/products/car/ba15/115x-24.jpg

www.superbrightleds.com Type 1157 bulb. 24 LED's in a cluster. WOW!!

36561.jpg

www.v-led.com shows THIS as their Type 1157 bulb ........... Doesn't look like an LED assembly to me. (Sorry, but I wanna actually *see* what I'm buying!)

There's another site that uses "v-led.com"

You need to add an "S" to the "led"....

http://www.v-leds.com/

That bulb image is to let you know what lamp you are replacing...kind nice I suppose to make sure you know which ones are there replacements.

These new ones that they have out:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/Brake-Light-LED/Red-LED/2-RED-1157-V-LEDS-7W-p6622388-1-2.html

Those are 7 watt LEDs!

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/Turn-Signal-LED/Red-LED/V-LEDS-RED-60-M-SMT-TAILBRAKE-p5746537-1-2.html

Those have 60 LEDs!

If you want to go nuts...

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/Turn-Signal-LED/Red-LED/V-LEDS-RED-92-M-SMT-TAILBRAKE-p7472056-1-2.html

92 LEDs.

These are nice because the tower design allows the light to come off the lamp radially, utilizing the reflectors in the housing designed for an incandescent bulb that not only shoots light directly back, but all around the sides too.

See attached photos...they are in the same order as the links!

1157-1.jpg.383512498b896dc2b737b612938a1e56.jpg

1157-2.jpg.04fa000630f06f5523f68178720c4d54.jpg

1157-3.jpg.03ac9a3b8761da7b7aa88e5a51a4d05e.jpg

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently ordered a set of PIAA H3 Plasma Yellow bulbs from the Tirerack for use in my fog lights. I was at the dealer getting some work done and I asked them to install the bulbs thinking it would be a simple plug and play situation. They called me back and said that I had the wrong bulb all together. The dealer told me that the bulb I needed for my 08 LGT fog lamp is an HB4.

I rechecked what I had ordered on the TR website, and it suggested an H3. I then went to the Silverstar website to confirm the sizing and it too said the fitment was an H3. Typically the TR is spot on when it comes to fitment, so I am wondering what the issue is. I know next to nothing about lights other than the factory fog does nothing for me as far as contrast, or visibility enhancement. If I didn't have a light on the dash when they are in operation I'd never know that they were on. Any insight would be helpful, thanks!

edit: I'm thinking it has something to do with the bulb and the OE housing, but I am not sure.

Edited by Bovesnh1
poor grammer

^ The fitment problem is one of the database being wrong.

The 2008/9 MYs use 9006/HB4 as its fogs, as do many newer Subarus - if you read the first page of this Sticky carefully, it's only guaranteeing fitment for 2005 (through 2007, IIRC).

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121162&highlight=2008+fog

If you're after absolute light-on-road, yes, the factory optics aren't great for it - but that's partly because this is a fog application: if you want to compliment your high-beams, aftermarket "driving lamps," or even "auxiliary low-beams," would be a better pursuit.

You can get more light-on-road, however, by re-aiming your factory fogs a bit, and also, instead of going with "yellow" (which will cut down on the amount of absolute light output), go with a HIR1/2 cross-fitment (you will have to do a little bit of trimming, on the tabs).

If you want to go yellow, but want more light, you'll have to go overwattage -

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82321&highlight=100w

The OP of this Sticky, among others, have used 100W bubls in their H3 (MY05-07) factory fog housings, with no reported problems. When outahere and I explored the 80-85W option, outahere recommended the re-wiring, which, if you know outahere, is good advice.

I am not sure of what the '08-'09's housing looks like - whether it'll be sufficiently heat-resistant for the overwattage bulbs...or, for that matter, what any potential wiring concerns may be.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

TSI+WRX,

I read thru the sticky quickly, mostly for information on what other styles folks recommended. It was my mistake for not reading enough on the board before making my purchase. I missed the reference to the HB4/9006 option, but assumed that the Tirerack and Osram/Sylvania would have accurate information. My assumption, my fault. No big deal, they are allowing me to return the bulbs and paying the freight.

I appreciate the quick response!

Gene

^ Doh! Didn't mean that to come off mean or callous....I intended to put a smiley after that second sentence.... :redface: Computer glitched-out right at that moment, and when the browser re-opened, the post did not contain my original text!

I, too, would have assumed either TireRack or - more likely - the Osram/Sylvania websites to have proper/accurate information. But as with everyone else, I guess they're just human, too.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

no worries bud, I've many of your posts before I know you were just trying to be helpful! Since you have a really good understanding of the lighting issues and what is out there can you make some recommendations as to how I can improve the lighting on our car? I live in NH, we get S tons of bad weather. I'd like to improve the low beam, as well as the fogs and stay legal doing it. Any ideas?

Gene

^ Good to know that you didn't take that the wrong way - the Errornet has a way of distorting our human communications/interactions! :lol:

My know-how pales in comparison to outahere's....so hopefully, he'll chime-in soon! :) If not, we'll "page" him. ;)

I think what you need to do, really, is to first figure out "how" you'd like to see better.

Do you need something to "reach out" - i.e. do you need driving lamps to supplement high-beams?

Do you need something for foggy weather?

Do you need something to just run as an ancillary set of lights (i.e. auxiliary low-beams), period?

Do you need something to help with back-roads that you may live off-of? or you participate in night-rallies...maybe you need to go with a full external light-bar?

Each of these, short of the full light-bar (which you can then choose to configure as you desire, to run certain lights - or not - depending on the situation), will meet a certain set of requirements - and yes, you should also weigh your own aesthetic preferences into the equation, too...

And while you're chewing over these specifics, you might as well pursue upgrading what you have, already - leave the fogs alone for now, as that can be played with, later...but either go with an all-out full-optics HID retrofit for your low beams or, alternatively, go with the +65 solution to replace the incandescents. At the same time, go over to HIRs for the highs, and get everything to-spec in terms of alignment/beam-pattern.

I think that my pursuing better bulbs for the LGT was the beginnings of my round about way of trying to get the "HID like" improved low beams. I know that starting with the fogs was not the best route, but I wanted something. I do live in a quasi rural area, but spend a lot of time driving everywhere in all conditions, no racing tho.

I want to upgrade what I have, the full HID retro fit for the low beams would be ideal. I've driven other cars that have HID's and our stock low beam system pales in comparison. Above all I'd like the HID's to be OE reliable, lighting up every single time without issue.

I've done a bit of research in the HID area, but please correct me if I'm wrong on anything:-) . . . OE Manufacturer's systems are in the 4300K range, I would my HID retro kit to look as tho Subaru offered a factory HID option for our cars.

My only worry with the HID retro kits is ensuring that I purchase something of very high quality. I don't mind "investing" in a super reliable kit, but I certainly don't want to be taken for a ride on the price either. There are a plethora of kits that are available in the aftermarket, each company claims that there system is the most reliable, but most of their prices are too good to be true.

Ultimately I would like to purchase from a vendor on here that supports us. I hope that this gives you a better idea as to what I am looking for. Thanks again for trying to help me out!!!

I think that my pursuing better bulbs for the LGT was the beginnings of my round about way of trying to get the "HID like" improved low beams. I know that starting with the fogs was not the best route, but I wanted something. I do live in a quasi rural area, but spend a lot of time driving everywhere in all conditions, no racing tho.

I want to upgrade what I have, the full HID retro fit for the low beams would be ideal. I've driven other cars that have HID's and our stock low beam system pales in comparison. Above all I'd like the HID's to be OE reliable, lighting up every single time without issue.

I've done a bit of research in the HID area, but please correct me if I'm wrong on anything:-) . . . OE Manufacturer's systems are in the 4300K range, I would my HID retro kit to look as tho Subaru offered a factory HID option for our cars.

My only worry with the HID retro kits is ensuring that I purchase something of very high quality. I don't mind "investing" in a super reliable kit, but I certainly don't want to be taken for a ride on the price either. There are a plethora of kits that are available in the aftermarket, each company claims that there system is the most reliable, but most of their prices are too good to be true.

Ultimately I would like to purchase from a vendor on here that supports us. I hope that this gives you a better idea as to what I am looking for. Thanks again for trying to help me out!!!

Ah, OK -

With the retrofits, I think that what you'll want to do would be to approach those, here, in this community, such as VXCL and m_luv, who offer to do full-retros (i.e. not only source quality OEM take-off components, but also know the ins-and-outs of various optics) on the factory headlamps, or, alternatively, go through a service such as LightWerkz, for your needs.

:)

The parts are no longer nearly as expensive as they used to be - and some of these same individuals may have suggestions for you as to where to source such parts and/or may sell such components, themselves - but the labor is still specialized, and, thus, costly.

Certainly, it's, by far, not "un-doable" even for a "beginner-modder" - and this walk-through will give you a good idea of what to expect:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56028&highlight=retrofit

- but it will take the first-timer a little bit of time and patience. :)