LegacyGT.com

Bulb Guide

Deer Killer

I'm just trying to help educate you, and correct you of your mistakes.
Biggest "mistake" I can recall making is reading your constant stream of "holier than thou" drivel. Or puke. Your call.

If you'e gonna be such an arrogant *ss about EVERYTHING, you should be driving a Porsche or something. Or a cactus. But a cactus has the pricks on the outside.

Rgds,

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a HID kit in my 05LGT. From day 1 I thought the beam throw and pattern was off. This was because I had an OEM-equipped HID car, so I could tell the difference/got used to that one. I figured I'd give them a chance anyway so I had them on for about a week. I do a lot of driving on country roads/outside city limits/dark highways. I actually caught myself squinting one time after rainfall. The next day I took the kit out.

The problems I have experienced:

-a pool of too bright light right in front of the car

-very poor illumination on the sides [peripherals]

-far-ahead lighting had a "premature" and "fuzzy" drop-off/cut-off

-the said pool of bright light would constantly draw my attention to it, making me less of an "efficient" driver

For the record, the said kit was a 5000kelvin-rated one, so 4200 lumens or so. So I replaced them with a set of OSRam Rallye 65w+ halogens. These are the brightest halogens possible, period. They give out 2100 lumens, the same amount of light your high-beams do. Immediately following the replacement, I did not experience a noticeable drop in light intensity. Yes, they were not as bright, but not significantly less bright. Even the color temperature was pretty close! What I did notice right away

-a lot better peripheral lighting

-a sharper cut-off

-a better throw far ahead. Yes, these things shine a longer portion of the road!

-a propper beam pattern and spread

A month ago I got back from Europe, where I drove with in my buddy's BMW 3-er. Noticing that his headlights were kinda like mine, I found it odd a BMW should not have HIDs. Upon inquiring, he in fact said they were HIDs. I did so much as to get into an argument with him, telling him his lights look just like my halogens and doubting that he knows for sure they are HID. It turned out that indeed, they were OEM HIDs.

So that's my story and I am sticking to it. I will never ever consider any other bulbs besides the OSRams, short of a pair of HID-projector retrofitted pair of headlamps falling in my lap. These Rallye lights absolutely rock. They are actually filled with xenon-gas just like HIDs, so they retain their brightness for 90% of their lifetime, thus not getting dimmer with age, as traditional halogens.

If you want the best possible lighting upgrade for your low-beams, short of a HID complete retrofit, the answer is one: OSRam Rallye 65+W

Edited by fishbone

@ SubieDoobieDoo - So, you've not noticed, at all, that you've come completely around on your previous argument? and finally, now, you see that the lens as well as the reflector is necessary for proper light management? How is this any different from what you'd maintained about HIDs? Go ahead and believe what you will, but please don't try to persuade others that you're correct.

And drop to name-calling if you must. It only accentuates your ignorance.

Look at what fishbone has so graciously posted - that's exactly what the actual science says will happen, behind such "plug-and-play"/"improper" kits.

With the BL/BP-chassis, unless you've had extensive experience with full-optics retrofits, and/or are a lighting enthusiast, you're likely not going to notice those differences/deficiencies, as fishbone did - and what's more, the extra light output from the plug-and-play kit will easily overpower many of the "dark" deficits, while at the same time, the design of the headlamps, even though far from being optimized for the HID light-source, will still allow enough control over the "bright" deficits (i.e. glare-to-oncoming, etc.) that the end-results is more than acceptable, both in terms of your view of the road, as well as the comfort/safety of oncoming drivers.

You SubieDoobieDoo, you seem to somehow think I have a vendetta against you and/or anyone here who does not perform a full-optics HID retrofit.

If you'll again review *any* of my previous posts, I've said, outright, that I don't (based on what I've said immediately above, here; you'll see that it's a restatement of what I've posted here countless times).

And I've also tried to repeatedly courteously and properly inform you of where your knowledge deficiencies lie.

As you've seen before, I myself do not know nearly as much about this field as some others here. outahere is a good example of just one such fellow LGTer who've kindly come forward to correct me of my old thinking and errors. Did I turn around and fight him? - no, I accepted that some of my thinking was outdated, and some outright wrong. I took the lesson, and in-turn, improved my own knowledge and know-how.

Never stop learning, that's what my grandmother taught me. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i dunno how to swap fogs

^ On your '05 ?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

• 3 months later...

^ I'll have a look again, this afternoon. I don't fully remember the details.

REF:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99029&highlight=rear+fog

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31502&highlight=rear+fog&page=3

and

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26017&highlight=rear+fog&page=6 - post #87 and on, where I've come to realize that there's more than one possible JDM variant. :redface:

Ok I defintly dont have the last one for the blitzen. My and I believe most have these.

http://japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=324

^ I'll have a look again, this afternoon. I don't fully remember the details.

REF:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99029&highlight=rear+fog

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31502&highlight=rear+fog&page=3

and

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26017&highlight=rear+fog&page=6 - post #87 and on, where I've come to realize that there's more than one possible JDM variant. :redface:

Edited by mr_luv
Mr.350

Dangit, I totally forgot about this yesterday. :redface:

I'll get on it today!

No prob, Its just too frackin cold outside to go check damn it, I asked peter to do it but it was too cold for him too haha no rush.

Dangit, I totally forgot about this yesterday. :redface:

I'll get on it today!

Mr.350

Cold?

Man, it's gettin' back up to the 60s here, during the day! I'm now wondering how much of my 3Ds are rubbin' away on the hot asphalt! :lol:

It was 37Deg's this morning NO FUN but hopefully its atleast 50 by now.

Cold?

Man, it's gettin' back up to the 60s here, during the day! I'm now wondering how much of my 3Ds are rubbin' away on the hot asphalt! :lol:

Mr.350

:p aw, that's nothin' ! I love it when it gets below 30 out. :)

Keeping myself updated to this thread, so I'll STOP FORGETTING! :redface: Sorry!

Cold? Whazzz dat? We're just poor Southern folks and can't afford cold weather ... =:)

Just surreal, bright, sunny, short-sleeve warm - 73-74 *here* today - so I'm cooking a couple of HUGE New York strip steaks on the grill today for a late lunch - w/ Caesar salad, baked spuds, etc - then wifey and I are packing a cooler full of Stella Artois and some pre-mixed margaritas and heading out to watch the World of Outlaws Sprint Cars and Late Models World Finals ...

"Cold" and "snow" is for taking a vacation to Taos, NM or somewhere in Utah skiing ...

Rgds,

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know the bulb type for the visor/vanity mirror light?

The dealer told me it was a wedge type but could only tell me the part number. #74 perhaps?

Sadly, I think it is proprietary part attached to the housing and can not be removed with out some modification, if my memory serves me correctly?

Edited by dv8ingvector
spelling

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...