LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Exhaust

GTEASER, not sure if you were being sarcastic, but if there is some misinformation I may have given please feel to correct. And I may be new to Subarus, but I'm 35 years old and have dabbled in every area of performance tuning vehicles. I do admit I'm still learning this platform, but I've owned my fair share of vehicles that have been tastefully modified.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Or you could order a full bolt on set up from La Chute Performance for $1500 Cdn. :)

Made for our H6 Legacys

http://www.lachuteperformance.com/en/products/lachute-performance-catback-2010-2014-legacy-h6

Yes but that exhaust still doesn't address the Y-pipe and cats for that kind of money. For that buy a new Invidia and just have the flange welded to mate to 3.6R. Still have $300-400 in your pocket.

GTEASER, not sure if you were being sarcastic, but if there is some misinformation I may have given please feel to correct. And I may be new to Subarus, but I'm 35 years old and have dabbled in every area of performance tuning vehicles. I do admit I'm still learning this platform, but I've owned my fair share of vehicles that have been tastefully modified.

I think he was serious. Your post added to the discussion.

Absolutely serious. As a mod I spend a lot of time perusing the 4th Gen forum. There are so many young noobs over there that don't understand that the wisdom of those that came before them is here already and they don't research, read, and try to understand. They think they are the first to inquire or have an issue. They are helpless. You sir, like most of us 5th genners, have more than a clue and are an asset to our corner of the forum. [emoji3]

Okay, I think I got this straight. Buy a WRX catback, Raptor headers. Then have it custom fabricated from the headers with two hi-flo cats (because the Raptors will melt them like the fires of Mount Doom) into a Y-Pipe with a flange. Which then connects to the extension of the cat-back and the extension would basically be a ultra quiet resonator. Correct?

Okay, I think I got this straight. Buy a WRX catback, Raptor headers. Then have it custom fabricated from the headers with two hi-flo cats (because the Raptors will melt them like the fires of Mount Doom) into a Y-Pipe with a flange. Which then connects to the extension of the cat-back and the extension would basically be a ultra quiet resonator. Correct?

To an extent yes, that is the same route I will be taking.

Raptor Headers $400 shipped

Vibrant OBD1 Ceramic Catalytic 3" $100 x 2 = $200

Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator 3" $112

Tsudo SS WRX Catback 191679859804 $449 shipped

So right there you have roughly $1200

Have a reputable welder do all the needed welding and make the Y-pipe. Maybe $300 for that, but I'm not sure.

This is all an estimate so once I actually get around to doing this, I will document my whole process.

That's what I was kind of thinking. That custom fab is cheaper. I've never had one done before. How much did they do for $600?

Mid pipe to the mufflers with a resonator in the stock-ish location. If you aren't doing headers or the collector then building a catback for a 3.6R shouldn't cost much more, if any. Full header-back with a WRX pre-fabbed catback that needs customizing, that will be a lot more work and money.

I agree with Unspoken... I will be keeping cost down because I will fabricate everything beforehand. I intend to drop complete factory exhaust and get all the correct measurements. So basically I will be taking my new custom setup to a welder and just have him weld no fabrication. Welding isn't too expensive until fabrication comes into cost.

• 2 weeks later...
I was looking through Fredrik's build thread. I'm curious how well the J-Pipe he used helped with the droning that most people mention with the 3.6R's:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4667783&postcount=25

hemholtz resonators work really well if you have drone in a pretty small RPM range, if you have large range of drone it won't help as much. they basically send sound waves back into the exhaust stream at just the right interval to cancel the drone. really interesting old tech.

Yeah, that's what I was reading. I wish I had some real world comparison, lol. The drone/hum seems to be problematic around the 2k range and seems it'd be a good way to cancel it out.

go out for a drive and take some notes on where the drone is worst/ noticeable and go from there

• 2 months later...

5" Nameless axle back. It has a nice smooth low frequency sound. From idle to around 1900 rpm with a light foot around town its slightly noticeable inside the car. From 2000 to 3000 rpm on the highway under load, it still has that low frequency growl but it gets loud inside the car. I wouldn't call it drone, just sweet music from the tailpipes. You definitely need to turn the radio up at this point. Quiet again from 3000 to 4000 rpm then it screams again above 4000 rpm. It almost sound like a detuned Porsche GT3 if you have ever heard one. I have no idea what it sounds like outside the car but people do turn to look.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/sts-v/285BA414-F7AC-47AA-9031-96ADD68725EC_zpszku518o8.jpg

Here is a link to a short Photobucket video taken on my iPad. I don't know how embed the actual video here. Click on the pic and it will take you to Photobucket. Play it loud with the bass turned up a little.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/sts-v/th_Exhaust_zpshe2igvvi.mp4

I would have to say if you are sensitive to loud noise for extended periods of time like a long highway trip, stay away from the Nameless. They do definately make thier presence known. I have been around loud cars my whole life so i have no problem with the noise. From what i have read, the Nameless is one of the loudest exhaust's out there for the 3.6.

I still need to ride behind my car while someone else drives it to see what it sounds like outside the car.

• 5 months later...

Okay so I have a 2013 2.5i and this is the info I THINK I've gathered from this thread:

- LGT (and 3.6r?) Y pipe and back should be a direct fit

- Hanger is needed to be welded onto my passenger side

Exhaust that can fit:

- Q300

- N1

- Nameless axlebacks?

Is there a place to buy the Y pipe only?

Thanks guys!!

Okay so I have a 2013 2.5i and this is the info I THINK I've gathered from this thread:

- LGT (and 3.6r?) Y pipe and back should be a direct fit

- Hanger is needed to be welded onto my passenger side

Exhaust that can fit:

- Q300

- N1

- Nameless axlebacks?

Is there a place to buy the Y pipe only?

Thanks guys!!

Looks correct. Remember that if you go aftermarket you'll need a catback since it will include a y pipe

You are correct but I would be looking at the the dual exhaust for the LGTs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

there isn't a second cut out waiting to be popped out? the 3.6R's have 2 exhausts and I'm pretty sure they use the same bumper.