LegacyGT.com

2009 OBXT Engine Rebuild/Swap

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OP, FWIW, my rebuild was 4mos, and, going on threads from those behind me, apparently that's a record.

Good news is, you keep this up -- day by day, paycheck by paycheck, part by part, bolt by bolt, you'll be an official member of the #igansb club. :D.

It's just the motor. But I do have to get the valve body and center diff apart too. Valve body for IPT as said before. Center diff because new ClimberD bearings are downstairs waiting to go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man. I missed this as part of the goals. Did you get the new bushings from him recently or have them on the shelf for a while?

I did see a post from him a little while back.

As mentioned above, one of these will work wonders on the trans bolts. I also found that a long extension with it will help a lot from the bottom. Soak the heads with PB blast and let sit over-night before another go. On my first pull, for some of the bolts I got under the car and held the wrench on the bolts while someone loosened them from above.

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_222337001?hei=832&wid=832&op_sharpen=1

JmP already has my turbo. It got to him earlier this week.

Bushings just got to me this week. He just had them done.

I definitely need to go get a knuckle like that. It's one ratchet piece I don't have.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to post a reply to keep things alive. I'm on the road for two weeks so there's been no progress on the car itself, but JmP does have my turbo complete! I can't wait to get it back.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/09/785886feae1b957731b63db93861b447.jpg

Some major progress this weekend here comes a nice big post for you...

As I mentioned in my quick post yesterday, I had an ASE certified master mechanic over for the day that I work with and he was, obviously, a major help. He had both some key knowledge and tools to help move things forward. I also went to Harbor Freight on Friday and picked up their 301 piece mechanic's set. Its come in handy already for sure. Seems to get great reviews and for $160 bucks I am pretty happy with it so far.

Started Saturday by removing a few small bits on the top of the engine that I had issue with before moving to the wheels and axles as suggested in order to get to the bolts holding the block to the transmission. These were not super easy to get out. The axle nuts did not want to slide out and we ended up ruining them both by banging on them but that's a pretty cheap replacement. I think both axles probably need some rebuilding. The outer boot on the right side is definitely shot.

16828440061_f1a03d5ab4_c.jpgIMG_0949 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

PRO TIP: It isn't totally clear from the drawings in the FSM, but the bracket from the AC compressor has to be removed and attached to the engine in order to lift it. Using the technique of just setting the compressor to the side of the engine bay rather than opening the system, its easier to detach the compressor with this bracket still attached. You'll need to go back and take this bracket off and reattach it to the block.

16828441221_31be7099c6_c.jpgIMG_0951 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

Wrapped fuel lines in an extra latex glove to keep them from dripping too much.

16803646416_7dac0a20d7_c.jpgIMG_0952 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

Those were about the last thing to detach before the block was ready to come out.

16641948658_d325c450a6_c.jpgIMG_0954 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

16207166334_5d492cbd73_c.jpgIMG_0956 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

16803648086_42d09dcfe5_c.jpgIMG_0957 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

The torque converter really felt the need to come out with the block. Still gotta get it lined back up so it will seat back where it belongs.

16803648456_c6dd6fed07_c.jpgIMG_0958 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

We then muscled the engine into the house. Once there, I started taking lots of photos for myself so that I would know what it looked like before parts started flying off.

16828447971_15721009f8_c.jpgIMG_0961 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

16803655036_40b61e8e98_c.jpgIMG_0964 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

Took me some time, but the intake manifold finally came off. Dealing with all those fuel lines and rails was a bitch and a half. I tried to get things off in groups so that three or four hoses attached to something solid will go back on all at once and make more sense. Hopefully it doesn't matter what hole each injector came out of because I sure as hell don't know which one fell out of where. Oops.

16803659366_5f423b3456_c.jpgIMG_0974 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

16209590983_839734daf2_c.jpgIMG_0975 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

Getting the fuel lines past this oil hard line was not easy but they needed to come off first in order to remove this one later. Would have been easier had the timing belt been off but it isn't yet. Whatever.

16643403859_37d42af7a7_c.jpgIMG_0977 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

Next thing I did, just for the heck of it I suppose, was take off one of the head covers. This is the right side cover. Can we tell anything about the condition of the engine from this?

16641966728_e683d22297_c.jpgIMG_0981 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

16828457171_c440817120_c.jpgIMG_0982 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

Then got the crossover pipe and TGVs off along with some other small pieces. This is how she sits right now.

16622202047_32f66ffaa3_c.jpgIMG_0987 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

Parts shelves are getting really full. Wanting to get my hands on my fun new bits, I also went ahead and matched up most of the silicone lines with the rubbers they will be replacing. :) I'm writing on my cardboard shelf liners to help keep track of stuff.

16803663476_51b105f460_c.jpgIMG_0983 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

16643407069_545fb6bf06_c.jpgIMG_0984 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

16641968798_04df16d7d0_c.jpgIMG_0985 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

16622203157_bd57cd157e_c.jpgIMG_0986 by Team 1 Group Development, on Flickr

Next thing I need to tackle it would seem is the timing belt. I've done a timing belt once but it was with a lot of coaching and I didn't want to miss marking anything before starting to take it off.

I will also be going to update the OP tonight with recent purchases to keep my running tally of parts and costs going.

What kind of rope did you lift that engine out with? lol

Just a basic piece of climbing rope. Fisherman's bend on one end and a figure 8 on a bight on the other. I've been climbing for about 15 years and I do adventure based activities and team building for my business with everything from kindergarteners through adults so I have lots of little pieces of rope hanging around for activities. Its plenty strong enough. You could haul the whole car up by the frame on a piece of climbing rope.

Nice job so far - Getting the engine out is a big accomplishment!

I'm not entirely certain, however, I have heard that the trans pump gets borked when the TC comes out with the motor. I don't have any resources on how to look into that -- Perhaps someone else can chime in on that?

VCs look good, as do your heads and cams. Looks like this engine never missed an OCI, at least not, by much. Mine looked MUCH worse.

T-belt comes off super easy. Just start unbolting shit. Once it's loose, take it off.

Now prepare yourself for the carnage that is the cam bolt removal. . .

I'm not entirely certain, however, I have heard that the trans pump gets borked when the TC comes out with the motor. I don't have any resources on how to look into that -- Perhaps someone else can chime in on that?

That's not so encouraging. If it is trashed, what would replacing that entail? Is it a big deal?

That's not so encouraging. If it is trashed, what would replacing that entail? Is it a big deal?

Like I said, it's just something I've read here. Can't say for certain, which is why I'm hoping others will chime in and confirm or deny this with a bit more certainty than I can, and maybe point you in a direction for remedying that mistake.

There would be a ton of threads with that outcome if it was the case. I had the same thing happen and was able to seat it again after the motor was out of the way. Need to pull and replace the seal. Any threads on pulling the TC out of the 5eat and such would be appreciated.

Not just for me but anyone that has had the TC walk out with the motor. What do you do after that?

Awesome job. I kinda cringe seeing the PS pump sitting on your headlight - wrap that sucker in a rag to keep it from scratching stuff!

Also, my TC came out a bit with the motor on both pulls. Nothing bad came of it. I put in a new pump seal on per JmP and had the TC all the way out to drain it, etc.

Awesome job. I kinda cringe seeing the PS pump sitting on your headlight - wrap that sucker in a rag to keep it from scratching stuff!

Also, my TC came out a bit with the motor on both pulls. Nothing bad came of it. I put in a new pump seal on per JmP and had the TC all the way out to drain it, etc.

Why use a rag when you can use Mr.Tris's custom solution

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=204608&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1426304866

Archived