LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

Damn you people and you're living on the [arguably] better side of the country! I would love to join in on that... But 1) slow wagon and 2) very very far away wagon :(

Back on topic: Boxkita, have you looked at Tomei for head gaskets? I have Tomei 1mm gaskets, so far 10,000 miles at close to 20psi and no issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to bang that old drum too much, but "slow wagon" on track is a bit of a misnomer. with tires and brakes, the wagon is a capable track car. Even a clapped out sedan on tired everything is more than most can handle.

If a track day materializes again, maybe a road trip is in your future. of course, as soon as your car hits the smooth roads out here, having 4 seasons might not be so important anymore. :lol:

I did not look at tomei yet. Oem is where I'm heading next. 2 of 3 (Outfront, sgt gator) recommend oem. Cometic failed because bad mechanic.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If SBT ever gets his up and running, and I sell my wife's car while she's not looking and then don't replace it, South Carolina can start to form it's own wagon class. I think a new apb wagon moved into town as well. Soon...

Or not at all, whichever.

Good luck on the wife's car. I sold hers. Then she bot the prius. I think she won that round. :spin:

Gator has a pm. :-)

Well crap. Can't put that genie back in the bottle. Gator made an offer. He helped settle something for me: putting the wagon on tbe road is not in the cards. Track car or nothing. hence lack of interest in rebuild.

Putting Miata up for sale. Need to collect all the parts and put up an ad.

Whose doing the cage for it then? Also I may be interested in taking some of your black interior panels that you won't be using as racecar.

There's a local welding shop who's been doing cages for the Pro3 cars for quite some time. He's done enough that they have been tested, too. Every one has walked away. I saw one that had been hit before & after a roll-over and met the driver. Other than being shaken and well-stirred, he was fine.

It was after talking to the driver, that I stopped contesting the Miata so hard. He moved alot in the belts. I start every race barely able to breathe from the belts. Yet, in the informal tests we have done, I would break my neck in a rollover. The distance of helmet to roof is less than the slack in the belts. :eek:

As for the panels, most likely not going to happen. Regardless how much I'd like my wagon to become legal racecar, even running the numbers with bargain basement equipment plus stripping Miata, it's more than I have. Add in the amount of "tuning" Sgt.Gator has done, I'm in over my head. So car sits... :spin:

And Shralp

And MagnusonSubie

And RyanGt

And NSFW

And kalien32

Isn't there a few more wagon around? Just show up for a IRDC day at Pacific Raceways. I'm sure we could arrange a parade lap for that many wagons. Maybe even get a dealer to pitch in.

A Spec Legacy racing class! SpecLGT. Of course wagons would get extra spec adjustments over sedans and SpecBs... :)

Now if we could just get Subaru North America to support the way Mazda supports their racers.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

A parade lap would be awesome!

We'd have to get shralp to bring out every camera/mount he can beg or borrow to make an awesome YouTube.

... I start every race barely able to breathe from the belts. Yet, in the informal tests we have done, I would break my neck in a rollover. The distance of helmet to roof is less than the slack in the belts. :eek:

:spin:

Yikes! :eek:

Can you get out the window if the door is crunched?

You could take off the hardtop and put an MX-5 Cup car type halo cage up there. I drove the Skip Barber Miata MX5-Cup car at Laguna Seca and felt perfectly safe. You lose a little top speed due to the aero effects of an open cage and no roof though.

Yikes! :eek:

Can you get out the window if the door is crunched? No

You could take off the hardtop and put an MX-5 Cup car type halo cage up there. I drove the Skip Barber Miata MX5-Cup car at Laguna Seca and felt perfectly safe. You lose a little top speed due to the aero effects of an open cage and no roof though.

The reason I wear so much protective gear and extra nozzles is because I'd be on fire for awhile. :eek:

The whole thing is rather sobering for a hobby. Hence why I'm looking for something bigger.

A Spec Legacy racing class! SpecLGT. Of course wagons would get extra spec adjustments over sedans and SpecBs... :)

Now if we could just get Subaru North America to support the way Mazda supports their racers.

There are classes in ICSCC with only 2 cars in them.

What would it really take to get Subaru NA to sponsor a series? I'm guessing a Levorg class would be a big hit. maybe sell a few cars, too.

We'd have to get shralp to bring out every camera/mount he can beg or borrow to make an awesome YouTube.

I've got a GoPro and a few mounts to throw in!

We might be able to get the ppl who filmed the Miata to come out and help. They had high-end video equipment mounted up. Scoobyroo (Andy Aybeta) did the camera work.

Andy's video:

0:23 - wagon ready for race day

1:17 - big guy little car

2:57 - getting strapped in. You can't hear my ribs cracking...

I would love to throw some sticky rubber on the rpf1 wheels and duel it out with the dog gate in the back. Toss on the 14psi map with 325/330 at the wheel. Be super fun. I am searching for new rpf1 rubber now with a new alignment and maybe some new coils in February.

Yeah, I started looking at cars too. Didn't think they would be quite that spendy. There's always Pro3, but eh...

I do peruse racingjunk.com from time to time. There are some affordable cars out there. B & C production cars, etc. Unfortunately, I have less budget than you do.

Are you giving up racing for the time being? Or do you just want to move to a faster car and class?

It looks like from the bits and pieces posted here that the Miata isn't exactly safe.

Miata is safe just not for me. I bot it from a smaller much thinner person. I can modify the cage to be safe for me. However its not what I want to drive.

For now, I'm done racing. I've had a great time. But damn is it expensive. If finances change in the future, I'll try again.

For now, I'll put the wagon back together.

Miata is safe just not for me. I bot it from a smaller much thinner person. I can modify the cage to be safe for me. However its not what I want to drive.

For now, I'm done racing. I've had a great time. But damn is it expensive. If finances change in the future, I'll try again.

For now, I'll put the wagon back together.

There are always HPDEs right? Or are they just not the same after racing?

Archived