LegacyGT.com

HID Upgrade on 2.5i Limited

can anyone confirm that the headlamp housing exterior lenses are replaceable ? i see tangs around the edges where the lens meets the housing, i assume they can be taken off and replaced ...

They aren't meant to be a serviceable part so you would have to heat up the housing in an oven as well as a heat gun to keep the seal pliable. This is so you can pry the cover off.

You cannot buy just the lens cover that i know of, only the whole unit. You will have to buy a used slightly damaged headlamp and pry off both lenses.:rolleyes:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would be a great invention. Being able to simply replace the lens cover whenever your headlights get yellow and oxidized! Cheaper and faster! Why is this not possible?

someone @ subaru made the choice. i know on many german makes the lens is held on with clips and pressed into a seal on the housing. can replace the lens rather the entire headlamp. im going to take a closer look at the clips on it because i could have sworn they look just like those on my bmw.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have an opinion on which HID Kit is better, 35W or 55W?

55W is not needed and has caused interior housing problems with past users when mounted in their halogen projectors. Can cause bubbling of the inside chrome housing which begins to drastically reduce output. This is directly from Matt's post that I read from the retrofitsource.

I'm upgrading my entire housings to 3.6 OEM HID's in a few weeks. I'll be selling my low mileage(4kmi) Morimoto Elite kits. PM me if interested.

• 3 months later...
55W is not needed and has caused interior housing problems with past users when mounted in their halogen projectors. Can cause bubbling of the inside chrome housing which begins to drastically reduce output. This is directly from Matt's post that I read from the retrofitsource.

I'm upgrading my entire housings to 3.6 OEM HID's in a few weeks. I'll be selling my low mileage(4kmi) Morimoto Elite kits. PM me if interested.

How are you swapping the housings? The harnesses don't match and you won't have leveling.

You don't want to go with 55W HID kit, as vendors selling 55W kits typically mate a 35W bulb to a 50W ballast. What you end up getting is a ballast that is overdriving a bulb -- which means that the bulb will burn hotter, and burn out prematurely. Aside from the bulb burning out prematurely, the fact that it's running hotter may potentially damage your headlight housing.

Steve

How are you swapping the housings? The harnesses don't match and you won't have leveling.

They've been swapped for months now.

I converted the Halogen harness to work with the HID ballast.

Who cares about the leveling. Retro fitters dont have auto level either.:p

• 1 month later...
leveling is important ... without it your more likely to blind oncoming traffic.

Stop. Please.:rolleyes: Never once been flashed. Car sits level, they were aimed properly and never had an issue the entire time.

I didn't mean just shine them any damn way you want..lol I just meant auto leveleling isn't needed. Our Halogens dont have auto leveling!:p

i wasnt implicating you ... just saying because that actually does happen with all headlights and the leveling motors adjust for the roads being 'hilly' ... xenon light is more bright than halogen. hence the use of autoleveling.

its not pleasant being the oncoming driver on a small 2-way when an approaching car's pitch points the full intensity of xenon light in your face. i'm sure you've experienced that before.

when you're at eye level with the beam cutoff, you get that

dont take me wrong im not arguing

... the leveling motors adjust for the roads being 'hilly'

How? (Hint: The Subaru implementation only compensates for pitch due to rear suspension loading.)

... xenon light is more bright than halogen. hence the use of autoleveling.
its not pleasant being the oncoming driver on a small 2-way when an approaching car's pitch points the full intensity of xenon light in your face.
Agreed.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

How? (Hint: The Subaru implementation only compensates for pitch due to rear suspension loading.)

not sure, id think by now they might have autoleveling systems tied to attitude sensors that detect vehicle tilt ? not 100%

the suspension sensors i know about, they also help when a vehicle accelerates in addition to having a loaded trunk.

... id think by now they might have autoleveling systems tied to attitude sensors that detect vehicle tilt ?

Think about it:

1) When moving, how do you differentiate between the acceleration vector due to gravity and the acceleration vector due to vehicle motion? Don't take my word for it; try driving around with a plumb bob or a bubble level in your car sometime.

2) Even if you could reliably determine short-term vehicle pitch attitude, you're proposing to tilt the headlights down when going uphill, and tilt them up (into oncoming drivers' eyes) when going downhill? (In your original post you specifically referred to headlight leveling on 'hilly' roads.)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

:yeahthat:

Auto level only operates in conjunction with suspension sag.

Im willing to bet there is a time delay for any changes primarily because of bumps on the road. Maybe 4 or 5 sec delay or something.

The motors cant level headlights fast enough to keep up with constant road changes.

dude....

That article described ADAPTIVE headlights. There is a difference. You can have self leveling headlights, adaptive headlights or a combination of both

SUBARU headlights does not do this. Only their foglights do adaptive(left/right).

Also, it would be pretty annoying to drive up a hill and only be able to see 10ft in front of you because the headlights are aiming down instead of where you need to go.

:rolleyes:

whats talked about in the link is what i was thinking about.

i thought a bixenon setup would have both types of sensors (suspension and level)

The Legacy's are not bixenon not sure if thats what you were saying or just in general??

There are two sensors in the Subaru's. One on the suspension and one under the dash. Not sure what under dash one does because the fogs turn based on steering angle I thought??

ammcinnis?? any input?

Not sure what under dash one does because the fogs turn based on steering angle I thought??

ammcinnis?? any input?

the fogs do not physically turn. the reflectors are designed to send light output to the sides. they are simple on/off lamps.

thats y i am interested in swapping them out with a lamp that illuminates straight ahead and to the sides - like a conventional fog lamp or projector lamp.

There are two sensors in the Subaru's. One on the suspension and one under the dash. Not sure what under dash one does ...

Only one sensor in the Subaru, mounted at the rear suspension.

The thing under the dash is the headlight leveling controller. It appears that the rear sensor is just a common analog potentiometer that sends a variable DC voltage to the controller. The controller then generates appropriate control signals and sends them to servo motors in each headlight assembly. I don't know whether the design uses stepper motors or DC servos.

In EyeSight-equipped models, the headlight leveling function is bundled into the SRF (Steering-Responsive Fog Light) controller. In non-EyeSight models the headlight leveling controller is a stand-alone module mounted in about the same under-dash location.

Subaru_Headlight_Leveling.jpg.941ef03b065c4c735bcd5f58d938a741.jpg

spacer.png

Archived