LegacyGT.com

HID Upgrade on 2.5i Limited

I Just ordered the XB35 5500K kit. They recommended it over the 6000k.

I didn't pay attention that they offer 5500k, that would be perfect without sacrifying any output. I have Osram CBI 5500k on my other car looks perfect.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I called the parts department at my dealer and asked about the 3.6-to-2.5 HID headlight swap and here's what I found out:

headlamps

headlamp leveler assemblies

bulbs

ballasts

wiring harnesses

All of these show integrated into one assembly for each side on the parts drawing that the guy was looking at, and he said that assembly runs $400 per side.

So I called the parts department at my dealer and asked about the 3.6-to-2.5 HID headlight swap and here's what I found out:

headlamps

headlamp leveler assemblies

bulbs

ballasts

wiring harnesses

All of these show integrated into one assembly for each side on the parts drawing that the guy was looking at, and he said that assembly runs $400 per side.

Part numbers?

What about the level sensor? Does the level sensor connect directly to the leveler assemblies, or is there a controller in between?

Thanks.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Part numbers?

What about the level sensor? Does the level sensor connect directly to the leveler assemblies, or is there a controller in between?

Thanks.

I'm going there today to buy my Legacy and plan on talking more with the parts guys. I'll post back with part numbers and info on the leveling sensors later.

So this is interesting...I thought the 3.6 only came with HIDs, but the part list shows 2 different headlamp assemblies. Based on price, the suspicion is that the more expensive would be the HID one. Basically, without a VIN to go by, the parts guy was just guessing from the drawings. Regardless, the more expensive headlamp assemblies that include the leveling motors (84002AL00A and 84002AL01A) run $647/ea. There's also the sensor the leveling motors use (84051AL010) and it runs $230. What is not known is if the 2.5's have wiring in place from where the sensor goes up to the headlamps. Regardless, not an inexpensive upgrade.

Guest rayms69
ever since that overnighter down there, the place just creeps me out, especially at night. Beautiful colors on the lights 2cool. I wasnt carrying on that trip

Since I don't have $1400 to do the 3.6-to-2.5 OEM HID conversion, and I'm a tad leery of doing an aftermarket HID conversion, I opted for halogen bulb upgrades. I just ordered Osram Nightbreaker Ultimate's to replace the low and high beams, and PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow bulbs for the fogs.

I would never buy 3.6R for a swap, too expensive, would get someone from hidplanet do a retro with RX350 will be an easy drop in cheaper and better result.

I'm thinking about picking up a pair of XB35 11 5500k this black friday sale. But I got a feeling I might be dropping the RX350 in when I have some time next few months.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

I would never buy 3.6R for a swap, too expensive,

the thing i don't get is, if you wanted the HID lights so bad, why didn't you get the actual 3.6R? You'd get HID and a loaded car with all kinds of extras for not much more than it would cost you to legally retrofit the 2.5 model.

Cuz I don't need 3.6r , 2.5i enought power for me and it's my work commutes 30 round trips mostly hills and stuck in traffic. I already have a v6 car why get another. Plus I don't really like stock HID ever... Most still need to bake open with some mod and clear lenses swap anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
the thing i don't get is, if you wanted the HID lights so bad, why didn't you get the actual 3.6R? You'd get HID and a loaded car with all kinds of extras for not much more than it would cost you to legally retrofit the 2.5 model.

So 2.5 doesn't come loaded???? The only difference if I recall would be lights/engine/trans .

It was a silly decision by Subaru to not put HIDS on the top trim Legacy 2.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I order XB35 5500k to match the C LED. You'll def sacrifice some output going with 6000k. But it comes down to what you like looks or best results, can't always have both.

Since you go TRS XB35 bulbs why don't you go with the HID Elite Kit from TRS, OEM ballast or some Hylux Asic Can Bus ballasts.

Highly recommended you get the HD Relay Harness as well.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/harnesses/morimoto-h11-low-beam-relay-wire-harness.html

Archived