LegacyGT.com

HID Upgrade on 2.5i Limited

Thanks for the info guys - first time Suby owner and new to the site here. Just ordered the MORIMOTO ELITE HID SYSTEM (with the 5500K bulbs) from TRS for my 2.5i Limited.

I called and asked about the HD Relay, but I noticed it's included in the package. Nice. The 5500K is a $20 upcharge, BTW. Used the "trsfblike" code and got 5% off. Too bad I missed Black Friday, but I literally just picked this car up yesterday from the dealer. $178.78 out the door, including USPS Priority Shipping to California.

Note that the ballasts are on backorder until middle of next week, but that's okay with me.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but know of any LED bulb kits for the 2.5i?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[ATTACH]198127[/ATTACH][ATTACH]198127[/ATTACH]

Some goodies from TRS black Friday sale came.

2c0ol... can you post pics on where you mounted the ballasts? Have done this on my last car, but its been awhile and I wanna do it right. I got the same kit with the 5500K bulbs. Thanks!

uploadfromtaptalk1418458245229.thumb.jpg.d0d93c9af635114335338474bf4e3f5e.jpg

I'm lazy, so I just 3m tape it behind the headlight, easily accessible, I don't see the need for hiding it.uploadfromtaptalk1418458245229.thumb.jpg.d0d93c9af635114335338474bf4e3f5e.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1418458364165.thumb.jpg.9e2769a0fdf8a156e5ce543de1c0b3f0.jpg

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

• 4 weeks later...

My HID light sometimes will not fire up. When one or both of the lights are turn on when prompted to, I have do an off then on to fire up the lights. 1/15 chance that either left or right light will not turn on. 1/40 chance both lights will not turn on.

Anyone else having this issue? Could it be battery not providing enough juice?

My HID kit is:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3S2O9U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews]Amazon.com: Morimoto 35 Watt HID Conversion Kit with HD Relay Harness 5000K H11 bulbs -H11 Relay Harness: Automotive[/ame]

How many hrs have you had on the bulbs? Some older gen Morimoto ballast do have some issue in cold condition, thats why im a bit skeptical about ordering it through amazon, but if TRS is the seller. It may seem to be a loose connection somewhere, or you got some older gen ballast that has issue with being too cold. You should give them a ring tomorrow morning. Also try to add dielectric grease in the connectors see if it helps.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

How many hrs have you had on the bulbs? Some older gen Morimoto ballast do have some issue in cold condition, thats why im a bit skeptical about ordering it through amazon, but if TRS is the seller. It may seem to be a loose connection somewhere, or you got some older gen ballast that has issue with being too cold. You should give them a ring tomorrow morning. Also try to add dielectric grease in the connectors see if it helps.

Installed the kit in middle of Sept 2014. Flawless except it takes about 6 seconds to reach full brightness. Noticed the non-ignite issue in early Nov.

In terms of hours, it's in use when auto light instructs it to turn on. I would say it has 130 total hours. Used dielectric grease on all harness sockets at the initial install.

Who would you contact, retailer or mfg?

If on amazon it could be Headlights_quick the reseller located in Houston TX. They have their contact number listed on amazon details page.

I thought most of these HID conversions look hideous because the headlight reflector is not deigned for them. They blind oncoming traffic because the light does not cut off properly, unless you replace the entire headlight. sounds like waste of money sorry

i agree. also keep in mind that oem bixenon headlamps usually integrate leveling motors to reduce blinding oncoming traffic when the trunk and back seat are loaded on the rear suspension.

it's a shame that hid lighting is only available on the 3.6R, i would have gotten it if it was available for the 2.5i limited.

a 25% difference is close?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on the highway the 3.6R gets 80.5...% of the mileage that the 2.5 gets*

in the city it gets 76.92% of the mileage that the 2.5 gets*

so you should say is a 19-25% close?

*Straight from

http://www.subaru.com/build-your-own/legacy.html?zip=55110

and it is a decent tradeoff for a more refined engine...

on the highway the 3.6R gets 80.5...% of the mileage that the 2.5 gets*

in the city it gets 76.92% of the mileage that the 2.5 gets*

so you should say is a 19-25% close?

*Straight from

http://www.subaru.com/build-your-own/legacy.html?zip=55110

and it is a decent tradeoff for a more refined engine...

I get your gist of what you're saying but no 19% - 25% is not even remotely close. Would an APR on a credit card 20% higher be not that big of a deal? Using the 2014 as a benchmark, Edmunds has the total fuel cost of the 3.6 $3,700 higher than the 2.5 over 5 years. I think I'll keep that 4k once compounding is figured in and drive my Mustang when I want to feel actual power.

Refined? That's an opinion. I don't consider a 250hp car with marginal mpg doing a 7 second 0-60 as refined. But, that's why it's an opinion.

On a more important note and something that needs to be said: how about the 3.6 owners stop clogging the 2.5 threads as to why their car is superior/gets great mpg/was a better value etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived