LegacyGT.com

HID Upgrade on 2.5i Limited

^^^Let me put it this way for you light / DOT polices:

I have been using HID conversions on halogen housings since 1996 when most of the people had no idea what they were.

I had them on my 2008 and 2012 Legacies with projector headlights.......with no problems.

If you know what you are doing, you will not blind anyone and in most cases you won't be able to tell the difference between OEM set up especially if it is done in a projector housings.

Again since 1996 not once I got in any sorts of trouble or had people flashing their lights at me.

So if you want to spend bunch of $$$ to meet DOT requirements and source OEM parts, please go ahead. Not to mention the OEM setup on the 3.6r is crap but that is a different topic.

Whenever some one asks a question about HID kits, there is always someone proudly bringing up DOT stuff.....

Having red turn signals on 50% of the cars sold in US is more dangerous if you ask me. Oh yes, we are THE only country in the world with red turn signals......and DOT is ok with that!..........so much for their requirements.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uncle. I live in dear and bear country and I personally can not complain about the HID. My neighborhood has bears in the afternoons and dears in our yards in the evenings and mornings. I just a personal observation IMHO.

PS You have to be insane in my neighborhood to drive fast in the evening, the wife and I have had quite of few times dear head lights.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

You will need at the minimum

Headlight assembly from a 3.6R- New ones run about $ $270 -370 each

OEM Ballast/Igniters if they are not part of the headlight assemblies

proper bulbs

DOT compliance applies not only to the individual components, but also to the installation. For a transplanted 3.6R HID installation to be compliant you would also need:

• Complete auto-leveling system: sensor, controller, servo motors, etc.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

DOT compliance applies not only to the individual components, but also to the installation. For a transplanted 3.6R HID installation to be compliant you would also need:

• Complete auto-leveling system: sensor, controller, servo motors, etc.

Who the hell is going to check if you're dot compliant?? You think a single police officer in the US could or would try to say you aren't? You can buy projectors and retrofit them into your current housing and have correct projection and illumination. Doing it with you current projectors you don't get the cutoff or the focus, but it isn't blinding anyone either. If you not going to do it because it is illegal, fine, but don't act like its something anyone here is getting a ticket for it. We aren't.

I've been into modding my own cars for the past 15+ years. I've read hundreds of posts on both sides of the issue. While I clearly fall on the side of HIDS are okay with projectors, I think it is important for those maybe new to this issue to be aware of both sides.

I believe it is illegal to install HIDS but that's only on the federal level and your local state or county LEO won't be writing you tickets based on violation of federal laws. They may give you an equipment ticket, but that is probably going to happen only if you are doing something else to get his attention or you have given so little consideration to the install that it draws attention.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is going to check if you're dot compliant??

Under normal circumstances, nobody. But after a major accident involving serious personal injury or substantial property damage, a lot of people: The police; your insurance company; the other party's insurance company; the other party's lawyer; etc.

I personally like properly engineered HID headlights. But I have researched the law (i.e. FMVSS), and I have done a lot of personal testing of both DOT-compliant HID headlights and halogen conversions, and I have yet to see a halogen conversion (reflector or projector) that comes close to meeting regulatory requirements.

Daniel Stern Lighting: Thinking of Converting to HID?

I believe it is illegal to install HIDS but that's only on the federal level and your local state or county LEO won't be writing you tickets based on violation of federal laws.

Most states incorporate FMVSS (i.e. federal) regulations into state law, either explicitly or (more often) by reference. In general, state vehicle law may be more restrictive than federal regulation, but not less.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Most states incorporate FMVSS (i.e. federal) regulations into state law, either explicitly or (more often) by reference. In general, state vehicle law may be more restrictive than federal regulation, but not less.

I do not doubt that. I know Indiana incorporates FMVSS by reference to particular standards. My point is the law versus practical enforcement. Your statement of incorporation by reference is key. How many average LEOs study the FMVSS in depth? Not too many would be my guess. Unless there is some hot button issue where they are briefed specifically, LEOs will focus on the state statutes, such as, window tinting, the number of white/amber lights illuminated on the front of a vehicle, colored lights forward facing, etc., loud exhausts, etc, They are not going to be able to tell whether or not a vehicle's lighting fully complies with FMVSS unless it is glaringly (pun intended) obvious. They will use common sense and instincts.

I disagree with your blanket statement that "n general, state law may be more restrictive than federal regulation." State motor vehicle regulation generally does not touch vehicle design/safety standards (excepting California emission standards). State motor vehicle regulation focuses more on operation than design.

That said, there is a whole host of good reasons not to do what many do. You and the points raised by others are valid. Much as in anything in life, people elect to take risks. Being educated on those risks beforehand is what matters.

I've been into the HID stuff 7yrs, I have a big box of 10pairs of RX330 AFS, 2pairs RX350 AFS, TRS MH1, FXR 3.0 & MD2S. Owned 5 pairs of Denso slim ballasts and 15 pairs of Hella Gen 3 ballast which I'm one of the only one who boost OEM ballast, I've sold about 10pairs on HIDPlanet forum. I'm also a local HID & LED resaler. Anyway, the 2015 halogen projector output with HID is very decent to say. It's not glare as some OEM equipped cars I found very glare as fu** sometimes although it does seem to be aimed correctly. The output is very decent to compare with some newer lexus GS as I park side by side, cut off very close as comparison. Not glare at all only if I decide to go 55w, but there's no reason why you should go with 55w. It's brighter than most OEM lexus/infiniti probably same as the TLs but not as wide, but it wins in the farther throw. I already finished tuning my RX350 AFS but I don't have a plan to retrofit it yet since the out put is very decent to me. If I retrofit, I will probably get wider beam and much sharper/color flicker but I'll loose a little throw.

Also from reading this thread, I think most of you haven't down enough reading or searching. There's a few of us already share our exp on this and done this in July & august. Me, another guy who rib his bumper off to mount his Denso Slim potted + TRS XB35 H11 is the way to go, but you can pick up Hella Gen 3 much cheaper as it's the most durable oem ballast to date and already water proof, boosted able.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

This makes zero sense. :eek:

It makes total sense, hid projectors have a visible line cutting off the light output at a certain level. These projectors don't have that, but they still are highly focused and aren't creating a blinding glare like you see coming off of a reflector headlight with HID bulbs plugged in.

Wow! Certainly lots of opinions on legality of doing this. But still no one has answered my question about the error cancellers. Didn't know this was the HID police forum lol. I appreciate all the info on legality of doing it etc though. Didn't mean to start a back and forth about whether to do it or not. Pretty sure that wasn't what I asked in my original post.

Wow! Certainly lots of opinions on legality of doing this. But still no one has answered my question about the error cancellers. Didn't know this was the HID police forum lol. I appreciate all the info on legality of doing it etc though. Didn't mean to start a back and forth about whether to do it or not. Pretty sure that wasn't what I asked in my original post.

You don't need error canceler for low beam, as for fog i'm not sure. Cuz I planned to swap it out with TRS Morimoto Type T later.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

,,, it could be a diode or voltage regulator built in to the LED circuitry.

Usually the "error cancelers" are simply resistors connected in parallel with each LED lamp assembly, such that the total current draw is approximately the same as the incandescent lamp the LED is replacing. This negates most of the power savings of LEDs, but it also avoids most false lamp-failure warnings.

spacer.png

I have 5000k, thinking about ordering XB35 6000k to match it this blackfriday. I did test both 6000k & 8000k looks nicely match. But with 8000k I can see a big difference in Luminen lost as you go higher K.

I have 5000k, thinking about ordering XB35 6000k to match it this blackfriday. I did test both 6000k & 8000k looks nicely match. But with 8000k I can see a big difference in Luminen lost as you go higher K.

From the guy who said

"Laughter and giggles behind you if you go any higher than 5000k."

Archived