LegacyGT.com

HID Upgrade on 2.5i Limited

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You need to do the HID foglight upgrade and it would be amazing :)

That's a bad idea, risk melting the foglight assembly. The housing is designed to run 19w bulb.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/23/2c0c989c93996dd9a1181fde52bbe090.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They match the C LED nicely, try take a photo against the wall 25'

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

Only thing I'm not happy about is the fit. It feels a little lose.

Light is good, fans keep the bulbs really cool and color is great.

Is the loose fit apparent while driving? Does the light move when driving over bumps?

Is the loose fit apparent while driving? Does the light move when driving over bumps?

It's not moving while hitting bumps that I can see. But it just doesn't feel as snug as normal bulbs.

how is oncoming traffic reacting to that ? since these are not auto-leveling ...

It's fine. My wife has an Acura and the color/strength is very similar. Acura may be a tad stronger but nobody's flashed me and standing back a bit the light isn't as obnoxious as a retro HID in a reflector housing.

in my experience, the intensity of xenon output is much more than halogen light. on my bmw if i bring myself down to below the cutoff line and stare right at the light, my eyes hurt after just 10 sec. of staring. not as bad with the legacy's light output.

if you get flashed often i guess you could adjust the aim. i'm still quite happy with the standard halogen light output of mine.

anyone know how long a regular halogen bulb would last ?

16364375915_a08cfa1596_c.jpg

How about this on my 2.5i? :p

If you get flashes mean its aimed too high at normal driving level. The i never been flash by bumps and hills, most driver know over 80% cars on the street dont have level adjust function. I dont feel its needed if you know to aim it correctly. I see its common stock car either aimed too low or to high.

I thought most of these HID conversions look hideous because the headlight reflector is not deigned for them. They blind oncoming traffic because the light does not cut off properly, unless you replace the entire headlight. sounds like waste of money sorry

i tend to agree .... ppl that skimp on the features they want in a car usually go the aftermarket route but aftermarket is not as good as an oem solution. see it all the time.

i did a study once where buying a lesser brand and making it everything a bmw or other high end brand returns about the same cost as buying the damn bmw in the first place and leaving it alone.

just an analogy

i tend to agree .... ppl that skimp on the features they want in a car usually go the aftermarket route but aftermarket is not as good as an oem solution. see it all the time.

i did a study once where buying a lesser brand and making it everything a bmw or other high end brand returns about the same cost as buying the damn bmw in the first place and leaving it alone.

just an analogy

Except we don't have an OEM option which is appalling in its own right and a huge f up by Subaru. There is no excuse for 30k+ car not having HIDS these days.

For uncle:

Also there is no reflector in a projector housing. Not sure why we're talking about how HID conversions look bad in a housing that the Legacy doesn't even use.

• 1 month later...

actually, honda doesnt offer xenon either in a similar price range (i think) ...

maybe the projectors have similar reflector geometry as those with xenon systems ? possible. can't speak to the logic behind subaru's choices here, the marketing folks drive cost and go back to engineering to tell them to trim the fat based on what they want to offer at a given price model.

if the harnesses are there in my model and all i need is the level sensors and headlamp assemblies, i might go that route in the future ... but i would do it right and go oem, because thats what i want.

actually, honda doesnt offer xenon either in a similar price range (i think) ...

maybe the projectors have similar reflector geometry as those with xenon systems ? possible. can't speak to the logic behind subaru's choices here, the marketing folks drive cost and go back to engineering to tell them to trim the fat based on what they want to offer at a given price model.

if the harnesses are there in my model and all i need is the level sensors and headlamp assemblies, i might go that route in the future ... but i would do it right and go oem, because thats what i want.

Harnes is different and the level sensors are integrated into the BIU/ECU so that's a nogo. You could set it and forget it though, that'as how ours are but you'd have to splice the harness...say goodbye to the quick revert as compared to an HID kit for warranty work.

BUT with the quality output of the stock halogen projectors, installing a cheap HID kit is much easier and provides pretty good results. I should know, I had a legit FX-R retrofit in my truck that I did. The HID kit doesn't proved as much side light, but it's plenty good enough for me for the $150 I paid.

Here's my Subi's cutoff with Morimoto kit 15ft from the garage door where I was parked. The driveway is sloped so back end is dipped some.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/rfoker/Subaru/20141207_172311_zps90zja7am.jpg~original

Driving down the road WITH my foglights for more foreground illumination but notice the sharp cutoff down the road from stock projectors.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/rfoker/Subaru/20141207_170136_zpsoqbd5pbc.jpg~original

I will say, the foglight HID's do blind people unless aimed way down! I got flashed regularly until I turned them down a bit.(Here they are not turned down enough)

Why bother with a retrofit? I personally do not like a super sharp cut-off. I like some bleed so I can see road signs. My trucks FX-R had a razor sharp cut off and I could not read road signs or see deer until it was too late especially in hilly areas which is where I live.

Harnes is different and the level sensors are integrated into the BIU/ECU ...

Not quite. Summary of differences:

1) A suspension-level sensor and attach bracket are required at the rear axle.

2) If the vehicle includes Steering Responsive Fog Lights (SRF), headlight level control functionality is already present in the SRF controller. If SRF is not present, a separate headlight level controller and mounting bracket are required.

3) The front and rear harnesses are different, but the additional wiring is simple and would be easy to add. The connectors on the headlight housings are different, due to the leveling servomotors. One could either re-pin the harness into a new connector body or fabricate an adapter harness. I would not recomment hacking up the original harness.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Not quite. Summary of differences:

1) A suspension-level sensor and attach bracket are required at the rear axle.

2) If the vehicle includes Steering Responsive Fog Lights (SRF), headlight level control functionality is already present in the SRF controller. If SRF is not present, a separate headlight level controller and mounting bracket are required.

3) The front and rear harnesses are different, but the additional wiring is simple and would be easy to add. The connectors on the headlight housings are different, due to the leveling servomotors. One could either re-pin the harness into a new connector housing or fabricate an adapter harness. I would not recomment hacking up the original harness.

I relaize there is a sensor at the back axle. There is also a sensor located under the steering column not sure if it has to do with model differences or both are needed but under the parts diagram they show both. I wouldn't even get involved with all that. Set them and forget them like standard headlights. Same as we have.;)

Good to know about the fogs. Makes sense.

There is also a sensor located under the steering column ...

Not according to the 2015 FSM. Unless you're referring to the separate leveling controller required in non-SRF vehicles.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Not according to the 2015 FSM. Unless you're referring to the separate leveling controller required in non-SRF vehicles.

Could very well be the case. I went to Subaru online parts and seen the two diff sensors. I was going to post part number but fig'd you knew the exact item since you seem very knowledgeable!;)

it looks like the oem 3.6 setup cant be easily integrated into the 2.5.

Will soon find out. I already own a pair of OEM HID headlamps. They are just siting on my garage shelf next to my new Enkei wheels I ordered from Tirerack.:p

I don't really know what to expect as far as differences go but will be sure to post a thorough DIY with pics and all because everyone can benefit from it. I like the clean-ness of OEM, so even if there isn't much difference it'll still be worth it. I don't think I'll even mess with the leveling system. Prob just get them squared away level and leave them be.

I probably won't be doing anything until weather warms up and I have a free day without my 3yr old running around. Can't get anything done:rolleyes:

let us kno pls ... if it is a simple plug&play it would be a nice to have upgrade. but as ive mentioned b4 i am pleased with the 2.5i's output as it is ... its really pretty good among the non-xenon projector setups out there. projectors originated before xenon so simply upgrading the lamps themselves can increase output reasonably. just trying to stay way from bulbs that burn out after 6 mo.-1 yr of use.

Archived