LegacyGT.com

HID Upgrade on 2.5i Limited

Just got a 2015 Legacy and these halogen headlights got to go. I work for a company that sells HID kits and such but I just wanted to make sure what you guys have found in your experience cause my supplier does not have a listing for the 2015 yet. From reading around here it looks like I will need:

H11 Kit for headlights

Relay Harness

H11 LED bulbs for the Fogs ( don't want to go HID there. Think it will be too hot for the housing

Do i need a "Error Canceler" Kit? Or is just the HID and relay harness enough?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought most of these HID conversions look hideous because the headlight reflector is not deigned for them. They blind oncoming traffic because the light does not cut off properly, unless you replace the entire headlight. sounds like waste of money sorry

Well thanks for your opinion, but I have projectors in the headlights already so the cutoff won't be a problem like it would with a regular halogen reflector type housing. Ive done numerous cars with factory halogen projectors and converted them to HID without a problem. I was just asking to see if anyone knew if i needed to get the error canceler or not.

I have projectors in the headlights already so the cutoff won't be a problem

well I guess it's ok then. Just don't get into an accident at night and let some sneaky lawyer find you messed around with the headlights. ;)

well I guess it's ok then. Just don't get into an accident at night and let some sneaky lawyer find you messed around with the headlights. ;)

Really? Why do I get the feeling you may be an ambulance chaser? Or just have a big stick up your ass. :spin:

---

I installed a 55w H11 DDM 6000k kit with harness I had intended to use in my CX-9. Super simple install. I always do a harness to protect factory wiring as much as possible. Adjusted the driver's side light down quite a bit. Looks a tad too blue for a perfect match with the C leds, but it works great.

Well thanks for your opinion, but I have projectors in the headlights already so the cutoff won't be a problem like it would with a regular halogen reflector type housing. Ive done numerous cars with factory halogen projectors and converted them to HID without a problem. I was just asking to see if anyone knew if i needed to get the error canceler or not.

Civics blind people because they are just big reflectors. These cars do not blind, however they do not have any cutoff in them as they are halogen projectors, not HID projectors. They work, just not as good as they could work if they had the proper projector.

Mine works fine. Significantly better than the stock lights. It's not the best but good enough (after I've aimed light beam down somewhat). Actually, can't tell the difference when parked next to a stock HID. A noticeable difference is the HID warm up time.

ok so there is name calling, that usually means there are no other counter arguments left hehe

these mods are sold mostly as DIY kits because it's illegal for any car shop to install them. This is considered tampering with the safety equipment.

IMNAL or an ambulance chaser laz, it's just that this particular issue bugs me. I hate being blinded, I must have a very sensitive eyesight or something.

found this link with some good info on why installing HID may not be such a bright idea (pardon the pun:)

http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2012/06/are-blue-xenon-hid-headlights-legal.html

I'm going to go ahead and wear a flame retardant suit now lol

How do you adjust the beam?

There is small bolt between the low and high beams on the outside back of each housing. The bolt is sized 8mm I believe. If you are facing the back of the housing, you turn the bolt clockwise to lower the light and counter-clockwise to raise the light.

How do you adjust the beam?

There is small bolt between the low and high beams on the outside back of each housing. The bolt is sized 8mm I believe. If you are facing the back of the housing, you turn the bolt clockwise to lower the light and counter-clockwise to raise the light.

I heard the easiest way, without needing to change the harness or any of that jazz, is to simply drain the halogen fluid from the bulbs and replace with HID fluid.

You can use this as well. Cheaper and does the same thing.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=22&zenid=tr16If89swH8tzrs5Uo8i2

---

Installing HID into halogen housing is illegal as the lighting system is not DOT approved stateside UK has similar laws. Here in the states they can TOW you for improperly functioning safety equipment. In the states, it costs a pretty penny to get a lighting system DOT approved and this is why they all say off road use only....

The ONLY way you can put HID in this car and be legal is to use the headlight assembly from a 3.6R Limited with factory HID lights.

HID do not work in Halogen housing because the focal points are different resulting in the light not properly focusing.

BTW you do not need projectors to have properly functioning HID lighting... my 02 Acura CL type S has reflectors and it works amazingly well

The ONLY way you can put HID in this car and be legal is to use the headlight assembly from a 3.6R Limited with factory HID lights.

And even that is questionable because it would require removing factory installed lights...

from the link i posted above:

49 U.S.C. 30122, which prohibits a mechanic from rendering inoperative any equipment installed in accordance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, NHTSA says.

"NHTSA has determined that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with ... FMVSS No. 108," according to SEMA, the aftermarket trade group. Of special concern is that "HID conversion kits can produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists."

^ Subaru OEM HID headlight units are DOT approved and you can use them on ANY trim level of the that model car. Problem is getting OEM parts is going to cost you some big coin. so from the DOT/NHTSA POV installing 3.6R HID OEM lights onto another trim level of the same car is not illegal.

You will need at the minimum

Headlight assembly from a 3.6R- New ones run about $ $270 -370 each

OEM Ballast/Igniters if they are not part of the headlight assemblies

proper bulbs

I've a 3.6r so other than replacing the HID fluid I don't need to do anything. Jiffy lube said they would do it for 49.95.

The projectors in the legacy have an extreme cut off. I have to use high beams a lot. Much prefer my old car reflector hid lights

Archived