LegacyGT.com

Just installed a Kartboy SS, not sure I like it.

I just installed a Kartboy Short Shifter. I have the bushings but I have not put those in yet. I'm not sure I like it. The throws are shorter for sure, and the knob is shorter to the floor which I thought I would like, but man is it harder to put into gear. It probably doesnt help that my throwout bearing is starting to groan. I know I need a new clutch etc which is going in soon. But I think the longer leverage of the stock shifter made it easier to move the stick through the gravel box.

Tell me it gets better with the bushings installed. If it doesn't I might have to put this up on classifieds.

Edit: 06 Outback Xt if it matters.

It's exactly as you said, the lessened leverage makes it tougher to shift. That said, I have a cobb sts and have driven many sts and they've never been excessively tough to shift. Perhaps you need a trans fluid change? Could be that your syncros aren't grabbing as you'd like.

How heavy is the knob on the shifter ? A heavy knob will give you more leverage.

You mentioned the clutch and TOB and the gravel box.

FWIW, I have a couple of 100 miles on the Moore Performance Blast Plates on my 5mt in my wagon. The car has the OEM STS and Extra-S fluid. The Blast Plates make it shift very cleanly, feels more like a Honda 5mt.

I have had great luck with Spec clutches, I currently have a Spec 2 clutch with over 42,000 miles on it and it has been flawless. Next I replace it, I'll swap back to a steel FW.

Check with "underdog" I'm sure he can get you the parts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Most STS will cause an interference between the shifter arm and the metal plate that secures the rubber boot to the body, particularly in 1/3/5. I usually remove the plate and notch it for clearance. I had a car here last week where the interference had caused the plate and arm to grind each other away ~1/16". Rattles were reported prior to the fix.

Bushings are going to make a huge difference.

Put the bushings in, huge difference. I have a Kartboy and love it, I think it gives much more decisive shifts. The only thing is sometimes it is hard to get into reverse, which is annoying to say the least.

Put the bushings in, huge difference. I have a Kartboy and love it, I think it gives much more decisive shifts. The only thing is sometimes it is hard to get into reverse, which is annoying to say the least.

My experience exactly. Extra-S and a heavier shift knob made it pretty easy to shift. I don't slam it into gear though. I sort of press it it.

I haven't had a single issue with the Kartboy, but I installed it properly with new bushings.

Think about it this way. Any slop in your stock shifter and bushings that made you think you needed a new shifter, is going to be magnified and accentuated by the short throw, you have to do the whole thing to get the benefit.

Most STS will cause an interference between the shifter arm and the metal plate that secures the rubber boot to the body, particularly in 1/3/5. I usually remove the plate and notch it for clearance. I had a car here last week where the interference had caused the plate and arm to grind each other away ~1/16". Rattles were reported prior to the fix.

THIS. Please have a look at this being the issue. I've heard bad things about cobbs quality for their sts. It's really more gimmicky than not.

Update. Installed both front and rear bushings. That rear bushing was quite frustrating to install. Took me an hour of wrestling on back, rewatching install vids, forum searching, a donut break, and anger-forcing. But now its in.

I greased the bushings, didnt have standard grease but used an old tube of break grease. Now shifting into gear feels the same as stock but with shorter throws. Less effort to put into gear. But I would'nt call it a drastic improvement. I've read that the STS upgrade is one of the best you can do. I'd just call it an interesting one.

I think to fine tune it I might need shift extension to play with and try a weighted knob.

Where can I get a good cheap shift extender?

Where can I get a low profile weighted knob for less then $50.00. I don't want a logo on it. No carbonfiber crap either.

Thanks!

Archived