LegacyGT.com

98legwag's 2009 3.0R Limited

98legwag

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not any time soon. Although I did figure out that my driver's side is about .5 in lower than the passenger side in the front. The driver's side has about 1 finger width clearance on my ramps with the lip on.

I had to go check mine, and it's the same! I have a "2 finger gap" on front the driver side wheel well and a "3 finger gap" on the front passenger side.

I love my Bilsteins, though. They make for a very comfortable highway cruiser, even with 18" wheels.

I had to go check mine, and it's the same! I have a "2 finger gap" on front the driver side wheel well and a "3 finger gap" on the front passenger side.

I love my Bilsteins, though. They make for a very comfortable highway cruiser, even with 18" wheels.

I agree about the Bilsteins. Since this is my daily I definitely want to keep the comfort. Thats why I began with other handling mods first. I watched a video by Andrew Hawkins from Motive DVD (and a few MCM episodes) where he modded his wife's wrx. He did sway bars, all the bushings, brakes, and wheels/tires and left the stock struts and springs. He said the car felt much better when pushing it but still had the comfort.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just tried to fit the Cobb radiator shroud I was given. Apparently the GT and 3.0R radiators are slightly different at the top so the shroud hit the top of the radiator. This made it so the bolt to hold down the hood prop stay could not be put in. I will be passing the shroud on since it was given to me.

• 2 weeks later...
You should tear apart your Head lights and get the amber reflector out if you can on these lights. It would clean up your already clean leggy ;)

I am much too lazy to do that. Maybe if I find another set of headlights at a reasonable cost I would do a retrofit.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Its super easy to do, heres my 09 with them cleared

This is the first time Ive ever seen headlights fully cleared and liked them. They contrast the color of your car very nicely. Great job. I always black them out and remove the amber. Yours look great.

Thanks. I really like the 3.0Rs. I just wish SoA had made them available with the 6mt like the rest of the world.

Me too, but I have to admit that using the shift paddles is a lot of fun. The shifts could be quicker, with less delay between gears, and the 2nd-3rd shift could be smoother, with less of a jolt, but revving close to red-line does help. IPT offers upgrades for the 5EAT Valve Body that supposedly fix these problems (http://www.importperformancetrans.com/subaru5eat.shtml). Searches haven't turned up any owners who've had their tranny modified by them but it is tempting except for the price. Still, even in stock mode the paddles make me feel like an F1 driver, if only for a split second, though I do miss stabbing the clutch and stirring the stick through the gears.

5EAT Valve Body

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/images/products/detail_1966_subaru_5eat_valve_body_sm.jpg

It feels a little more stable in corners. Especially bumpy corners. I think the difference is in the handling/feel as opposed to actual grip. I also have noticed there are a little less creaks and rattles as well. All in all, for what I paid for the braces I am pleased.

I have a Cusco tower brace on order to shore-up the great expanse between the front struts but question the need for a rear brace. There's a lot of metal back there to keep the rear struts aligned. The roof, C-Pillars, rear package shelf, rear quarter panels, and floor-pan create a pretty rigid cage. Unless you're running full-on rally forest stages, just driving through the mountains aggressively on asphalt roads (bumpy or not) shouldn't make rear braces necessary. I'm waiting for KSport coilovers, a Tribeca FSB, AVO links, and Prothane bushings to overhaul the front suspension, and the Cusco brace will be the icing on the cake. The rear will get equal attention but the brace is still a question mark.

Me too, but I have to admit that using the shift paddles is a lot of fun. The shifts could be quicker, with less delay between gears, and the 2nd-3rd shift could be smoother, with less of a jolt, but revving close to red-line does help. IPT offers upgrades for the 5EAT Valve Body that supposedly fix these problems (http://www.importperformancetrans.com/subaru5eat.shtml). Searches haven't turned up any owners who've had their tranny modified by them but it is tempting except for the price. Still, even in stock mode the paddles make me feel like an F1 driver, if only for a split second, though I do miss stabbing the clutch and stirring the stick through the gears.

5EAT Valve Body

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/images/products/detail_1966_subaru_5eat_valve_body_sm.jpg

I have a Cusco tower brace on order to shore-up the great expanse between the front struts but question the need for a rear brace. There's a lot of metal back there to keep the rear struts aligned. The roof, C-Pillars, rear package shelf, rear quarter panels, and floor-pan create a pretty rigid cage. Unless you're running full-on rally forest stages, just driving through the mountains aggressively on asphalt roads (bumpy or not) shouldn't make rear braces necessary. I'm waiting for KSport coilovers, a Tribeca FSB, AVO links, and Prothane bushings to overhaul the front suspension, and the Cusco brace will be the icing on the cake. The rear will get equal attention but the brace is still a question mark.

For me the transmission is fine for a daily driver. As for the rear strut brace, for the price I paid I couldn't say no. I think it makes a difference. Again, its probably more a feel thing vs actually improving performance.

For me the transmission is fine for a daily driver. As for the rear strut brace, for the price I paid I couldn't say no. I think it makes a difference. Again, its probably more a feel thing vs actually improving performance.

That 2nd-3rd shift really bothers the sh!t out of me, but not $700 worth of bother. However, if the tranny ever "eats the big one" I might pop for the IPT valve body upgrades.

I'm a stickler for precise handling. Lots of great roads here in The Catskills and when the road is clear I like to take it fast. After all the suspension upgrades are performed I'll hit my favorite roads for a shakedown. That's when I'll decide on the rear brace. Chances are that I'll get it regardless. The more I look at your picture the more I like it. :)

Maybe a trip down "The Tail Of The Dragon" is due in the Spring.

There are more 05 model GT's with VB upgrade than 08/09. I'm not totally sure if it solves the delay with paddle shift though. More or less a symptom of sub-par tiptronics. It serves it's purpose well, downshifts for the most part. It will more than likely improve the D function and those shifts would be spot on.

There are more 05 model GT's with VB upgrade than 08/09. I'm not totally sure if it solves the delay with paddle shift though. More or less a symptom of sub-par tiptronics. It serves it's purpose well, downshifts for the most part. It will more than likely improve the D function and those shifts would be spot on.

You're probably right. The VB upgrade isn't a big priority with me and as I accrue more miles I'm sure I'll get used to the shifting as it is. Like I said, unless a transmission catastrophe occurs, the VB mod will stay on the wishlist.

Today I went to a friend's house to install the new Centric premium rotors I bought back in May. During the process we noticed my lower control arm bushings are toast. I ordered the Mevotech aluminium LCAs and a ball joint tool last night. Oh and thats just PB Blaster on the LCA.

Archived