LegacyGT.com

98legwag's 2009 3.0R Limited

98legwag

When I first got the 5eat and drove with my stick shift habits. I thought the tranny was pooched. Quick off/on gas pedal when slowing down and accelerating on right/left turns would set me in the wrong gear and buck out. They have to be learned and driven properly to avoid ye olde transmission catastrophe.

Question Leg Wag, those Bilstein's come stock on 3.0? :eek:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I first got the 5eat and drove with my stick shift habits. I thought the tranny was pooched. Quick off/on gas pedal when slowing down and accelerating on right/left turns would set me in the wrong gear and buck out. They have to be learned and driven properly to avoid ye olde transmission catastrophe.

Question Leg Wag, those Bilstein's come stock on 3.0? :eek:

Yup. The 3.0R Limited came with Bilsteins.

Thought those were strictly spec b. Lucky, you guys. Are all your suspension mods due to noisy/failing parts or just upgrading? I've got some sounds I'm thinking are brake related at the moment. They disappear when it rains though.

Some of the suspension mods where to make it better. Like the sway bars and strut tower braces. The AVO brackets were to prevent issues down the road. With the control arms, I figured why not pay a little more and upgrade the whole arm since I have to take them off any way.

• 4 weeks later...

Saturday I went to my friend's house and we installed the Mevotech control arms and ball joints. Just in time too. My original ball joints had the boots leaking badly. We also noticed my driver's side front axle inner boot is leaking really bad as well. With the new LCAs and ball joints the car drivers better. It just feels more composed. There is a minimal increase in NVH. But its really not bad at all. My friend had recommended that I get the ball joint tool from Company 23 so I did. All in all it took 1.5 hours to change both LCAs.

Here is a link to the ball joint tool.

http://www.company23.com/products/subarutools/532

• 3 months later...
Saturday I went to my friend's house and we installed the Mevotech control arms and ball joints. Just in time too. My original ball joints had the boots leaking badly. We also noticed my driver's side front axle inner boot is leaking really bad as well. With the new LCAs and ball joints the car drivers better. It just feels more composed. There is a minimal increase in NVH. But its really not bad at all. My friend had recommended that I get the ball joint tool from Company 23 so I did. All in all it took 1.5 hours to change both LCAs.

New vs old

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g378/98legwag/2009%20%20Legacy%20R/20161126_102643_zpsdg5dfogb.jpg

Here is a link to the ball joint tool.

http://www.company23.com/products/subarutools/532

Those look really good

New LCAs/bushings/ball joints made a nice difference. Yesterday a new front axle was installed on the left as well as the Hellas. Looks like a new right front axle is needed due to a splitting boot. I will probably get the axle that came off the car rebuilt and use it.

Are those control arm's aluminum? If so was there really a big difference in the weight? That price is insane! I should have just done that instead of the poly bushings installed.

Yes, the are aluminium. There is a difference. I don't know that I would say a big difference. My car did feel much better afterwards with the new bushings and new ball joints.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Went back through this and uploaded all the pictures I still have. Thanks Photobucket.

Here are a couple new ones. Oh and I have a Cusco front swaybar that is 3.0R specific waiting to replace the Tribeca sway bar when I find the time.

19961588_10209724520775809_8501917927032040010_n.jpg.943c343589e1574c6d6da142a7c210b4.jpg

19756905_10211847416594763_6644428764430160346_n.jpg.0c5c4110acd426464bfe46cea3d03623.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Have you ever considered putting the Outback 3.0R hood on it? The bulges give it a "meaner" look to it
The 05-07 Outback hood with the bulges won't fit an 08-09. And the 08-09 Outback hood doesn't have bulges and doesn't fit the 08-09 Legacy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The 05-07 Outback hood with the bulges won't fit an 08-09. And the 08-09 Outback hood doesn't have bulges and doesn't fit the 08-09 Legacy.

I was wondering if the 05-07 hoods would fit. I personally like the clean look of the smooth hood though.

That is correct but the 3.0R of the OP ISN'T an Outback, it is a Legacy.

Legacy 05-09 hoods ARE the same. 05-07 Outback hoods WILL fit an 05-09 Legacy but they WILL NOT fit an 08-09 Outback. The reason being is that the 08-09 USDM Outback has a hood, bumper, and grille that are exclusive to the 08-09 USDM Outback. I excluded the fenders because they have exactly the same lines as the facelifted USDM Legacy's just with the typical Outback "flares".

I did a JDM facelift on my 08-09 Outback so that I could run the same hood as 05-09 Legacy's and 05-07 Outback's and get lots of different aftermarket grille options. One thing I did learn is that the scoop on the 08-09 USDM OBXT hood is also exclusive to the 08-09 USDM OBXT. Of course that doesn't matter for an NA hood.

That is correct but the 3.0R of the OP ISN'T an Outback, it is a Legacy.

Legacy 05-09 hoods ARE the same. 05-07 Outback hoods WILL fit an 05-09 Legacy but they WILL NOT fit an 08-09 Outback. The reason being is that the 08-09 USDM Outback has a hood, bumper, and grille that are exclusive to the 08-09 USDM Outback. I excluded the fenders because they have exactly the same lines as the facelifted USDM Legacy's just with the typical Outback "flares".

I did a JDM facelift on my 08-09 Outback so that I could run the same hood as 05-09 Legacy's and 05-07 Outback's and get lots of different aftermarket grille options. One thing I did learn is that the scoop on the 08-09 USDM OBXT hood is also exclusive to the 08-09 USDM OBXT. Of course that doesn't matter for an NA hood.

Oops. You're right. And there was a SWP Outback in 05-07 so it would work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

That feeling when you get boxes from Japan. My HKS ES Premium mufflers arrived. I knew from add that one has some scratches on the bottom and one has a small dent. But they are in much better condition than I thought. There is virtually no rust anywhere on them.

PZnjsgz.jpg

V2sjDih.jpg

Archived