LegacyGT.com

AMileHighLGT's engine swap journal

Is there some reason why you haven't had "cryo" tune your car ?

Pay the man, get a great tune, and be happy.

I paid my Tuner for the street tune at 500 miles, now over 55,000 miles on the ej257. The wagon runs great.

An e tune from cryo is part of the plan.. Wanted to make it past the first 1000 mi on the stock map. Now I need to wait for the tactrix cable.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

500 miles should be plenty. Don't wait if you think you have a tuning issue.

I only waited because I knew the tune was fine.

I had some porting done and just wanted to make sure that didn't have a bad effect on the tune he did on the dyno and street tune afterwards.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don't think I have a tuning issue, I'm on the stock map, as flawed as it may be. I'm more worried about a mechanical condition causing any knock, a bad tmic or something along those lines, or a doh moment when I assembled, which I would like to sort out before I get Dave to work a tune for me. Make any sense?

With that being said, I remember romraider had more parameters for monitoring knock..

Are you using the stock IC to TB hose? The seals on the ends of the TB hose have been known to come loose in the air stream and make a gawd-awful squealing/squawking noise. Take off the seals, or replace with an AM, e.g., AVO, Perrin, etc., hose. Noise done.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I do have a new stock tb hose from when I did the swap, and normally I would agree with you, that was the first thing I looked at this morning.

That doesn't explain the horrible bearing noise from the turbo when listening to it with a stethoscope though.

What a kick in the nuts the last year has been with this car..

I am also getting a lot of low rpm load knock- way more than you are currently. I did some logs for Cryo and it looks like I am running too lean too often- and this is on a Cobb OTS (91 ACN- was also seeing it with normal Stg. 2 tune) map.

The difference with me is I am also experiencing a lot of cylinder roughness from a faulty injector (roughness followed from cylinder 2 to cylinder 4 with the an injector swap) that might (I hope) be causing some of my issues. Cryo recommend I look into an intake leak at this point.......

Sorry to hear about your possible turbo issue- can always look into a VF-52 from SixStarSpeed for under a grand.....

Well a clogged injector or partially clogged will cause you to be lean. That's not safe with boost.

I'd square away your misfires from the injector before you go chasing an intake leak.

I am looking at six star cars as I write this. That stage 1 ball bearing vf52 for 1100 all said and done looks very nice!! I'm hoping I can sell the wife on it! Its cheaper than what groove quoted me and that's with my shops pricing.

Still can't believe that 800 miles ago when I checked it there was no shaft play side to side and a very minimal amount in and out.

Well a clogged injector or partially clogged will cause you to be lean. That's not safe with boost.

I'd square away your misfires from the injector before you go chasing an intake leak.

I am looking at six star cars as I write this. That stage 1 ball bearing vf52 for 1100 all said and done looks very nice!! I'm hoping I can sell the wife on it! Its cheaper than what groove quoted me and that's with my shops pricing.

Still can't believe that 800 miles ago when I checked it there was no shaft play side to side and a very minimal amount in and out.

I'd still recommend JmP's custom turbos over the SixStar VF52 anyday. . .

i seek out the bond girls then i show them the yard stick.

what turbo are you on tris?

When I had started my rebuild and mentioned that I was looking for a used VF52, JmP approached me and we talked about his custom VF40. Being one for originality, I took a chance on it, and, I'm really glad I did! It's got loads of down-low punch and pulls strong. I've yet to make it run out of juice, and I drive the shit out of my car everyday. (For all of the like, 5mi between home and work)

Specs:

11-blade billet wheel capable of pushing 22psi.

Dual-plane balanced inconel shaft. (This is better than plain 'ol VSR balancing)

Upgraded journal bearings

I've not had a pro-tune, I'm still on the Stage2 OTS map, so, I can't really put any numbers on it, but, it feels amazing every time I get behind the wheel. Just loads of torque. The second guy to buy one has it in his XT and his tuner did a road tune and said it's comparable to a VF52.

The best part about it is that it makes smooth, punchy power delivery on stock fueling.

JmP's craftsmanship is top-notch, and, honestly, I'd recommend his units over any other make/builder.

That, and, you're supporting a forum member who actively contributes here -- what's not to like?

Well here's the thing. I'm not looking to make any more than stock power levels. I just want this ****** to be a reliable and trustworthy daily that is still fun to drive.. I'm not looking to upgrade or even bulletproof the tmic so without saying 22psi is far above what I want.

I understand that turbos wear out with use. I want one that will last more than the 100k the original did, with a ball bearing to prevent this from happening again..

With that being said, wifey is not happy. No 'brown chicken brown cow' now that this has happened after assuring her we would have problem free sailing for sometime. Therefore convincing her that anything other than a stock replacement would be best may be futile.

I know he is using upgraded journal bearings that will last a lot longer than the stock ones. Although you will have to PM him for the details. Overall you are looking at a lot less than $1100 for one of his.

Another thing - the VF52 cores are not in stock at sixstarspeed with no ETA. If you aren't planning on getting BPTMIC and running higher than stock boost then there really is no reason to get a VF52.

The second guy to buy one has it in his XT and his tuner did a road tune and said it's comparable to a VF52.

Tris do you have a link to that thread? Or was that the only comment on it? I think the unfortunate disadvantage at this point for JMPs rebuilt turbo's is not enough information and dyno graphs.

Unfortunately, the masses seem to demand graphs and charts and dyno sheets as proof of power. That said, those in the know, know that psi and power aren't directly correlated, but rather, are only part of the whole power equation.

Yes, I also see this as a shortcoming, however, I don't think at this time, he's aiming for those who want big power. A fun, quick, and punchy DD with a usable powerband is what most people need, and is actually what they want, even if they don't know it.

I don't know about you, but I have no real need (nor the space or bail money) to go over 112mph. But there's nothing wrong with getting there fast. If I'm honest, I really want a 0-60 time below 5seconds. A turbo that spools fast and pulls in the rev range I (and lots of people) use most, and, I won't be the first to tell you, that's not often north of 5500. A good tune that keeps knock at bay and can advance as much timing throughout the range as possible. I'll take breakneck acceleration over top(and breakneck) speed any day.

How is this achieved, in terms of custom turbochargers? From what I gather, smaller housings modified to fit bigger wheels seems to be the ticket. Ball bearings are just the beginning, there are other, better bearings that can be utilized. However, it takes time, and most importantly, skill, to make these things come together to create an amazing unit that boosts strong and reliably under all conditions.

As for OP, no one really needs to push 22psi. Yes, the wheel is capable of such output, but that doesn't mean it needs to be there all the time. No turbocharger is reliable when run at its max, just like any other piece of machinery. I honestly I have no intentions of going past 18, though I may get a Doomsday map with everything full-bore, just for the hell of it. Well see.

Getting an "OEM" unit can still happen, though. He does rebuild to OEM specs, but includes his journal bearings that are less-prone to failure, the rest is just upgradable options. .

Get in touch, tell him I sent ya. ;)

If you're looking for total reliability and stock power you could also use a TD04L from an '08 WRX.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I messaged him via forums earlier waiting to hear back.

Worked on it a little tonight when I got home from work. Work on cars all day. Go home. Work on car. Repeat.

Going to pull pan this weekend. Drained oil, nice and sparkly.. Oye. I need a beir.

Pulled the downpipe. Its still 'intact'. Fins on turbine beginning to bend. Lots o play. Beir me.

Intercooler had aluminum shavings in it. See them in the throttle body as well. Beir me.

Wish I could record the sound the bearing makes while listening with my stethoscope.

As I speak I'm waiting for some battery juice in the phone and I'll snap some pics and videos.

Exhaust turbine went from being white as shit from super lean before the engine swap, to a more comfortable looking brown color.

blown turbo.. Maybe this explains the almost too negative d fuel trim (-4.7).

Beir me

Fwiw, there are some dumb fucks out there. I've repaired two of these cars at work for fuct turbos. When those idiots heard that noise wtf did they keep driving for?

I messaged him via forums earlier waiting to hear back.

Worked on it a little tonight when I got home from work. Work on cars all day. Go home. Work on car. Repeat.

Going to pull pan this weekend. Drained oil, nice and sparkly.. Oye. I need a beir.

Pulled the downpipe. Its still 'intact'. Fins on turbine beginning to bend. Lots o play. Beir me.

Intercooler had aluminum shavings in it. See them in the throttle body as well. Beir me.

Wish I could record the sound the bearing makes while listening with my stethoscope.

As I speak I'm waiting for some battery juice in the phone and I'll snap some pics and videos.

Exhaust turbine went from being white as shit from super lean before the engine swap, to a more comfortable looking brown color.

blown turbo.. Maybe this explains the almost too negative d fuel trim (-4.7).

Beir me

Fwiw, there are some dumb fucks out there. I've repaired two of these cars at work for fuct turbos. When those idiots heard that noise wtf did they keep driving for?

Oy vey.

That metal in the TMIC and TB is no good, either. Means you've got damage on the cold side, too. See my rebuild thread for what that looks like.

I can't say that it bodes well for your new block, either. .

As for dumb focks, well, people just assume that if it still drives, it's OK. What noise, right?

Archived