LegacyGT.com

AMileHighLGT's engine swap journal

When I try to load the akamaihd.net pictures in their own window, I still get a 403 error.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10422928_10202751065126765_7832570580360067126_n.jpg?oh=fa62e08581a2f6cdc140b61abfe64727&oe=54830A72&__gda__=1421690893_47cab788a3bfabf2c4a50973ab82cbf2

The first three pictures' URLs look the same, and the fourth is slightly different, but they all have the same ID (0B7N2GbDmFnDZcE1wVDYtRTFNS1E) and all show me the shortblock in a box/cart/stand picture when I load them in a new window.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I try to load the akamaihd.net pictures in their own window, I still get a 403 error.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10422928_10202751065126765_7832570580360067126_n.jpg?oh=fa62e08581a2f6cdc140b61abfe64727&oe=54830A72&__gda__=1421690893_47cab788a3bfabf2c4a50973ab82cbf2

The first three pictures' URLs look the same, and the fourth is slightly different, but they all have the same ID (0B7N2GbDmFnDZcE1wVDYtRTFNS1E) and all show me the shortblock in a box/cart/stand picture when I load them in a new window.

See this is odd because I moved all the photos to imgur and relinked them. :confused:

One last gremlin to iron out and then I see if she starts.

Got it 100% reassembled, fuel pump fuel fuse removed, cranked it until the oil light went out plus 10 seconds to compensate for the low pressure of the switch threshold. Got out and heard a leak immediately. Oil leaking from the banjo eye let on the stainless steel line I used for the passenger side avcs/turbo oil line at the back of the head. Snugged the banjo bolt up, retried, still leaking. It must be from the threaded union to the line. Its beer and racing time. I figure maybe an hour of work tomorrow and it'll be ready for fire.

I have 15 QTS of castrol high mileage 5/30 and three Purolator one filters for this initial flushing. I hope Purolator is as good as advertised and reviewed.

uploadfromtaptalk1428795939570.thumb.jpg.5d66256e95db2c96a13e523c8f4c6bac.jpg

I'm also unable to see many of the initial pics. Any way to get those up? I know you're busy and things are crazy but I sure would appreciate it! Thanks again for looking at my turbo.

It is very much alive!!!

Got it all finished up a week ago Saturday. Primed the oil system with a pressurized transfer pump. Fired it up. No unusual noises.

Idled it for 20 minutes, and changed the oil and filter. Drained the oil through some panty hose, very little metal came out. Grabbed a sample for Blackstone. Felt no grit in the oil. Installed a new Toyo roki filter, added 4.5 quarts more of oreilys branded 5/30 and idled another 20 minutes and changed oil and filter again. Same routine with hose and sample for black stone. For the next 100 miles it had castrol gtx high mileage 5/30.

Drove her very gingerly most of last week as the dd. The block finally went over 1k miles. On Tuesday I did my 100 mile oil change after the turbo r&r, same routine, hose and sample. No discernable metal to be seen or felt. Got into it a little by the end of the week, my god this thing is stronger than I ever remember it (that's the stage 1 dummy).

Noticed that my fuel trims have learned an excessively negative value, all of them.

1a -9.7

1b -6.2

1c -9.1

1d -7.2

Did a boost leak test, hoping to find something, but doubtful that I would, seeing as how everything from the turbo to the throttle body is new.

Found two leaks, both on the silicone avo throttle body hose. (Makes little sense to me, would have suspected a positive learning on trim a)

Tightened the t clamps some more and reset the ecu.

I've gone 200 something miles since that, and initially all looked better except a, they have all made their way back to where they were before. . so now it sits parked again until it is figured out.

I have noticed, the ots stage 1 from Cobb knocks considerably more in knock sum than the stock map as of now. It has also learned to pull timing down low, most - 1.4 flkc. No learning view at the moment, my cable deuced itself.

Also, I have noticed some surging, on both maps, when tip (very slight) in acceleration from a stop or when in stop and go traffic not completely stopped.

At this point the maf is clean. No boost or vac leaks.

No exhaust leaks.

Its just over 110k on the chassis, and most sensors.

I'm toying with the idea of throwing a new front a/f sensor on it due to age and miles instead of diagnosing the damn thing.

All in all, I'm happy, for now. Kinda gun shy at the moment with this thing. What's next?

• 2 weeks later...
Have you talked with Dave, aka cryo ? how far is he from you ? may be a street tune is in order.

I had tried contacting him right before the turbo went out. He never replied to me, guy is super busy, has quite the following here in the Denver area.

I've recently stumbled into tons of free time. I've got all my tools back here at home and have spent some time going over things.

I went over basics. Found my fuel pressure regulator was dead, couldn't keep the pressure down at idle. That cured the super negatjve a/f trims. Now I'm battling an a/f learning 1a around +10 now. :mad:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Ever get it figured out?

NOPE! LOL It Doesnt matter now, as you already know sir.

for the rest of us, my block made it just under 6,000 miles. Road tripped it to Nebraska a couple weeks back for my wifes family reunion. Never made it back home. About 60 miles from home, cruise control on the highway, cruise control didnt want to keep up. Quick glanced at the access port and was watching knock sum count to 35 and reset in less than a second. Pulled over and it was heard. Low end knock.

already have the block out. Its stripped down now. Rod bearing for the #2 cylinder is super sloppy.

I needed another 'winter project' about as much as i needed another hole in my head..

So let this be a lesson to all you peeps who roast a turbo and then wonder how long will the motor last, not long.

/Flame Me/

Very sorry to hear that. :(

Sent from some electronic device.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Did I miss something ?

Possibly??

The first post here, was almost a year ago, is this the same block you bought in that post ?

The rod bearing for the #2 cylinder took a shit a month ago on the way home from Nebraska. This was in the short block i bought this time last year. Let go about 60 miles from home. Already have it out and stripped down.

New parts are had. Going to send the heads out again, make sure no bearing in the galleys.

So we don't have to read the whole thread, can you give us a short list of what happened ?

The first post talks about a new ej257, the turbo had very little shaft play.

Now 12 month's later, with 6000 miles, you say the turbo bearing went and put metal into the oil system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So we don't have to read the whole thread, can you give us a short list of what happened ?

The first post talks about a new ej257, the turbo had very little shaft play.

Now 12 month's later, with 6000 miles, you say the turbo bearing went and put metal into the oil system.

A year ago, replaced short block with a new ej257 from heuberger. 900 miles after engine, turbo blew up. Caught it before the shaft snapped, but the turbo bearing had already chewed itself up, lots of glitter in the oil. Purchased a jmp turbo. Did 2 20 min idle oil changes after the new turbo. Another at 100 miles, another at 500 and one at 1000 miles after turbo r&r.

Made another 4900 miles until the rod bearing went.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Archived