LegacyGT.com

AMileHighLGT's engine swap journal

JMP shipped the turbo yesterday, eta is 2/3 or 2/4.

Also, the tmic, bpv, both ocv's, oil pump, ocv/turbo oil feed line and both intake cam sprockets are in hand.

Still waiting on oil cooler, and avo silicone tb hose

Seriously considering building my own turbo charger and pass side ocv oil line out of stainless steel line and an fittings.

Did your last turbo grenade the bearings? Remember, that filtered line is really just a stop-gap measure to ensure that no contaminated oil from a previous turbo failure (or other hard part failure) botches the new turbo. If you haven't had a catastrophic failure to that effect, it might be overkill and just creating another (unnecessary) maintenance item; additionally, you might be placing greater strain on your oiling system which may arise the need for a higher pressure oil pump (11mm) to overcome the new, additional restriction.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My last turd didnt grenade, shaft never broke but was damn close to it. That said, there was some metal in the pan, and a few sparkles in the head, but no pastes. The oil line I am going to build will be more for ease of installation. I'm not really wanting to pull the intake Mani again.

There is a write up on iwsti that details the line build.

Its important to know that the banjo bolt on the turdo is only .055" and there is also a corresponding restriction of .055" in the line it self at the banjo eyelet.

Overall there maybe a couple inches of more distance for the oil to travel to reach the turbo, line size will be -4 or -6, comparable to stock line, so I don't think I will be needing an upgrade to the 11mm pump. 11mm is overkill for us single avcs guys, and I'm trying to avoid cavatating my oil.

My last turd didnt grenade, shaft never broke but was damn close to it. That said, there was some metal in the pan, and a few sparkles in the head, but no pastes. The oil line I am going to build will be more for ease of installation. I'm not really wanting to pull the intake Mani again.

There is a write up on iwsti that details the line build.

Its important to know that the banjo bolt on the turdo is only .055" and there is also a corresponding restriction of .055" in the line it self at the banjo eyelet.

Overall there maybe a couple inches of more distance for the oil to travel to reach the turbo, line size will be -4 or -6, comparable to stock line, so I don't think I will be needing an upgrade to the 11mm pump. 11mm is overkill for us single avcs guys, and I'm trying to avoid cavatating my oil.

The oil pump is tied to the crankshaft, which means it's rotating at about the same speed. Or at least, a 1:1. Only at higher revs for an extended period of time should the pressure and volume it flows become an issue.

In a 5EAT, since most driving is done under 4k, I can't see oil pressure being an issue.

Well you sir having bigger cajones than I. Single avcs, I'll stick with 10mm. Somewhere in your build thread I think I remember seeing you got the single avcs Sti cams. any plans on doing the exhaust side?

Talked it over with PIA, got shot down as if I had asked to do an "STI-swap", followed by rolleyes. It really doesn't make that much of a difference and it makes drivability shit. Also, the '05 STi cams are identical PNs to the LGTs, though, the brochures state the the STi has a higher lift and duration. With both sets in-hand, I compared the PNs on each: The same.

I'm not a fluid engineer, or up on actual fluid dynamics, but, (some engineer is gonna stomp all over me for this, I just know it!)

The sizing of the oil pumps -- 10, 11 and 12mm-- is in reference to the blade size on the impeller (or impeller size?). An 11mm pushes more volume (and hence, pressure) than a 10, and a 12, more than the other two. Maybe 10 and 20 percent more, respectively?

As I understand it, the oil pump is tied to the crankshaft and rotates the impeller in the pump on a 1:1 ratio. Therefore, it seems to me that at 2000rpms volume and pressure of oil would be significantly less than say, volume and pressure at 5000rpms.

With that in mind, I would assume that cavitation

cav·i·ta·tion

ˌkavəˈtāSHən

noun PHYSICS

the formation of an empty space within a solid object or body.

the formation of bubbles in a liquid, typically by the movement of a propeller through it.

. . . occurs at higher rpms rather than lower rpms.

Now, without having see-through metals, I'm not sure how we'd come to a conclusion when or under what circumstances the impeller spins fast enough so as to begin to create empty space and/or air pockets in the oil flow which might cause the main or rod bearings to be without oil for whatever amount of time and become causal for increased wear and thus, deteriorating the engine quicker, or, in extreme cases, significantly shortening its lifespan or lead to a catastrophic event. (whew, that was long! Still with me?)

Ergo, having a 5EAT, the majority of the time, my revs are 'nannied', so to speak, which, in consideration of the above, leads me to believe that I'm somewhat safe with the 11mm, provided I don't spend a ton of time in the upper rev ranges.

This all seems logical to me, but, again, not a fluid engineer, or, even an engineer, really. I just put shit together.

I'm not a fluid engineer, or up on actual fluid dynamics, but, (some engineer is gonna stomp all over me for this, I just know it!)

The sizing of the oil pumps -- 10, 11 and 12mm-- is in reference to the blade size on the impeller (or impeller size?). An 11mm pushes more volume (and hence, pressure) than a 10, and a 12, more than the other two. Maybe 10 and 20 percent more, respectively?

As I understand it, the oil pump is tied to the crankshaft and rotates the impeller in the pump on a 1:1 ratio. Therefore, it seems to me that at 2000rpms volume and pressure of oil would be significantly less than say, volume and pressure at 5000rpms.

With that in mind, I would assume that cavitation

cav·i·ta·tion

ˌkavəˈtāSHən

noun PHYSICS

the formation of an empty space within a solid object or body.

the formation of bubbles in a liquid, typically by the movement of a propeller through it.

. . . occurs at higher rpms rather than lower rpms.

Now, without having see-through metals, I'm not sure how we'd come to a conclusion when or under what circumstances the impeller spins fast enough so as to begin to create empty space and/or air pockets in the oil flow which might cause the main or rod bearings to be without oil for whatever amount of time and become causal for increased wear and thus, deteriorating the engine quicker, or, in extreme cases, significantly shortening its lifespan or lead to a catastrophic event. (whew, that was long! Still with me?)

Ergo, having a 5EAT, the majority of the time, my revs are 'nannied', so to speak, which, in consideration of the above, leads me to believe that I'm somewhat safe with the 11mm, provided I don't spend a ton of time in the upper rev ranges.

This all seems logical to me, but, again, not a fluid engineer, or, even an engineer, really. I just put shit together.

I'm just simply stating that I have no need to go to the bigger 11mm pump.

Your understanding of the pump operation is correct, it is directly tied to the crankshaft, it does rotate at 1:1.

Someday, if I ever get the hair up my ass to make this more than a dd, then I would consider the 11mm.

If you check out nasioc there are threads that debate cavatation caused by the larger pump.

There's threads debating it here, too. And honestly, I don't think I've seen any proof of what happens when you run the 11 in a single AVCS, or even a 12, for that matter.

Going back to PIA tomorrow to get my AC redone (hasn't been hooked back up since the swap) and will ask if they've seen any bad results from running an oil pump one step larger.

• 4 weeks later...
Any update since receiving the new turbo? I'm looking at replacing my turbo with the JmP custom, as well, and would love to get as much input on it as possible. Also, looking at doing a tear down and rebuild depending on the results of the compression/leakdown. I want reliability and a nice, usable power band.

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

Any update since receiving the new turbo? I'm looking at replacing my turbo with the JmP custom, as well, and would love to get as much input on it as possible. Also, looking at doing a tear down and rebuild depending on the results of the compression/leakdown. I want reliability and a nice, usable power band.

You should buy the custom TD04 he's got for sale now. $600 to your door -- that's a great deal, and that thing is NICE. Fast spool of the TD04, bigger wheel than a 52 -- I expect some MONSTER midrange from that unit. Would love to see it go to someone who's active here, so we can hear all about it.

EDIT: Just sold as I was typing this.

What would you like to know about the custom 40s? As one of the first (the first?) to run the Custom40, I can tell you allllll about how awesome it is. So can xtea, Jaybird2013, Cloudseed777. . . The list is growing EVERYDAY.

My biggest - reliability. As far as I know, I have no major engines issues right now. I'm actually working on a post for my potential "rebuild", but I'm waiting to get my compression/leakdown done (in contact with a local guy for that now). I have 145k miles on the stock block/turbo, and I feel like I'm driving around with a ticking time bomb under the hood. I love my car and I want it to last at least another 150k. My second really, is that since I might be going to all the trouble of a teardown/rebuild, I'd like to come out with a little nicer of a powerband. I don't want to threadjack, so maybe I should just start my own? I have a parts list started, I've read every rebuild thread on here I can find, and I'm getting ready to start shopping, as soon as that's done. I also have a blackstone oil analysis kit sitting on the counter waiting for my next oil change...

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

Well honestly I have made a very small amount of progress, meaning no progress. :mad:

I'm not in a real big hurry to finish at the moment. Family life has been hectic to say the least.. Work has been real busy lately, and working on cars daily kind of takes the hobby fun out of it, so motivation has been lacking, and it's been cold.

I managed to get the old stock oil feed line and passenger side avcs line out from under the intake manifold, without removal. I've installed my stainless steel oil line and passenger side avcs line. I've reinstalled the valve covers, new ocvs are in. New oil cooler is on. Oil pan is still off- looking at you TRIS.

Front timing cover is still off, still need to install the new oil pump, retime the engine. Put front cover on. Put the radiator fans back in. Rad hoses. Exhaust manifold. Up pipe, turbo, down pipe, connect oil and coolant hoses, install the tmic, bpv, avo silicon tb hose. Prime everything. Start run 20 min. Change oil and sample for blackstone. Run 20 minutes and repeat. Then hopefully I can get 100 miles. ;)

At this time MrTris would be your best bet for turbo information. Seeing as how I've yet to run.

I have some pictures I still need to upload.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yes....

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will find another host and relink the pictures.

If you haven't found one yet, check out imgur.com. It's free and it will resize the images for the posts so you don't get that resize warning. All my images in my build thread are posted there.

If you haven't found one yet, check out imgur.com. It's free and it will resize the images for the posts so you don't get that resize warning. All my images in my build thread are posted there.

Yeah I am. Tried Google drive and I like that interface, but you can't link the pics.. thank you

Archived