LegacyGT.com

What's the best way to remove the front grille?

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so I am looking at plasti dipping my grille. I am going to remove the grille but am wondering how easy it is to separate the chrome surround from the grille. My reason is so I don't have to tape it off and end up with a cleaner line. Thanks in advance!

ok so I am looking at plasti dipping my grille. I am going to remove the grille but am wondering how easy it is to separate the chrome surround from the grille. My reason is so I don't have to tape it off and end up with a cleaner line. Thanks in advance!

The plastidip will peel right off of the chrome trim

I was at first too, but once you do it it's really not that bad. Pop out the clips (6 under hood, 2 in fenders, 7 underneath), pull put on each side, pull forward on each side, grab in center, lift up and pull straight off.

If you have fogs, unclip them first before pulling the whole bumper off. For me, I'd only pull it off now if I'm going to make it permanent. My plastidip spray from last year is still holding up great. I just taped off with some newspaper (also blocked the radiator) and sprayed it real quick.

Front Bumper removal is one of the easiest bumpers i've removed.. Like the previous post make sure you unplug the fog lights just reach under the wheel well plastic shield and connectors are right there.. Rake your time and bumper should be off in 30 minutes..[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

I dipped my grill and wheels - held up over a year, but after multiple car washes (I think they may have used some kind of chemical bug remover) some of it started peeling. If you wash by hand (like I did all summer) it holds up well, but I have no place warm enough to do that all salty winter long.

TVc_6gzEXl-xpwsSP2vl3tVRWy4ZGn3yWjuZ1xAWNj868nuSRfkJshbv2YFmheEUqF_cWk7b02DrCJ_3tSaSOPdCMEPRZMZ2QqUO3Km5chYrCT8gle9fyYS1IwsvyRzG4hQtzcCv3zhDGe37o283lL44cCMadlwRJ8w4G0VEIwjJ-p9ABOzkm0BPaJ78qScGMPnxcWy1hYcTjskaX3_mwQ_spmANTtZ2mBavElp0MAn02-zESMmDuZ-Mgt-tkk8yE6UWsHz5MmxpXy2tPCkDwoRPyTnvjYCXbTEW5KLWuPW9luOCzyaJJLEKWyzap00dtBSZimR2V04CvqQMSVOyK_Gq1OLQ8X-RbwFvJxA6EXbWDNnV4v3h_95z8vHtUhMvrCHMYKYAR8h-XUHnS6SrM2Jcn_IG2BETbA3PPYcEzRtsDtGukDnisvaMW06AXOdT3PUYWDyW5Rk-Jq_Fy9ojxZrrX5VNdP05AbOMv6NNKwxjOMCMuL3J_CefDTd0SBK1L7v2XJO2sN8INFL31ZFjKLX86Fzgh2e4Gj5dK-OxnJHHeZBLxcHCrKbKyCGtFKQG7XJzV8MEZdS-YuwqyAxKG-NSD6OtK5_KDP4IYRV5I4LG02rVSbuONG6_MmloDdbIr3IgMPyyvaXf3bLuf9TrbMdbHbqSRYxFcGNI3YPaYRA=w1668-h938-no

• 3 months later...
I dipped my grill and wheels - held up over a year, but after multiple car washes (I think they may have used some kind of chemical bug remover) some of it started peeling. If you wash by hand (like I did all summer) it holds up well, but I have no place warm enough to do that all salty winter long.

TVc_6gzEXl-xpwsSP2vl3tVRWy4ZGn3yWjuZ1xAWNj868nuSRfkJshbv2YFmheEUqF_cWk7b02DrCJ_3tSaSOPdCMEPRZMZ2QqUO3Km5chYrCT8gle9fyYS1IwsvyRzG4hQtzcCv3zhDGe37o283lL44cCMadlwRJ8w4G0VEIwjJ-p9ABOzkm0BPaJ78qScGMPnxcWy1hYcTjskaX3_mwQ_spmANTtZ2mBavElp0MAn02-zESMmDuZ-Mgt-tkk8yE6UWsHz5MmxpXy2tPCkDwoRPyTnvjYCXbTEW5KLWuPW9luOCzyaJJLEKWyzap00dtBSZimR2V04CvqQMSVOyK_Gq1OLQ8X-RbwFvJxA6EXbWDNnV4v3h_95z8vHtUhMvrCHMYKYAR8h-XUHnS6SrM2Jcn_IG2BETbA3PPYcEzRtsDtGukDnisvaMW06AXOdT3PUYWDyW5Rk-Jq_Fy9ojxZrrX5VNdP05AbOMv6NNKwxjOMCMuL3J_CefDTd0SBK1L7v2XJO2sN8INFL31ZFjKLX86Fzgh2e4Gj5dK-OxnJHHeZBLxcHCrKbKyCGtFKQG7XJzV8MEZdS-YuwqyAxKG-NSD6OtK5_KDP4IYRV5I4LG02rVSbuONG6_MmloDdbIr3IgMPyyvaXf3bLuf9TrbMdbHbqSRYxFcGNI3YPaYRA=w1668-h938-no

Damn that looks so nice. I picked up my 4 cans of plasti dip and a can of glossifier yesterday, planning to do the exact same thing on my wheels.

Do you have some more shots of the whole car?

Would be very keen to see!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
Darn, I was afraid of that. $149 vs ~$350. Guess ill have to pony up the cash if I decide to finally swap the grille. Thanks for the quick!

https://www.smyperformance.com/jdm-subaru-sports-grill-2015-legacy-outback.html

Here's the only place I know of state side that sells them. Saves you a ton on shipping from Japan.

Going the plastidip route, how many coats do you recommend for a grille? I'm thinking two should be enough.

Noooo. The key is to do thin coats so it doesn't run. I used an entire can and did 4 or 5 coats, and I wish I would have gotten a second can and done a few more.

Slightly off topic but didnt want to start a new thread. Has anyone found/made a mesh grill for the lower one yet? I have ordered the JDM grill and think it would look awesome if both front grills were mesh. I have ordered a new oem lower grill and plan on hacking it up. I will try and remember to take pics and will do a write up if I do turn out to be the first to give this a shot.

• 6 months later...