LegacyGT.com

Wind noise "buzzing" from front passenger window.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dealer got the repair kit from Subaru for the passenger triangle window along with instructions and replaced the seals around the window this week. Looks fine (no hint that a repair was done), and the problem is solved -- no more constant fluttering noise over 25-30 mph. They said it was a more time-consuming repair than they expected.

The blue tape fix had worked as a temporary measure, but it's nice to have this resolved finally. I don't know if Subaru has this kit available in quantity yet, but they do seem to know how to fix the problem.

My dealer tried a few times taking the passenger side apart and putting it back together which did not resolved the problem on their test drive. They are ordering the D seal which is the passenger front window. So I feel this is now SOA permanent solution.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

They're are the same. The service manager said they have ordered this seal for the Outback but I was the first Legacy they have seen. They cannot figure what are the difference between the original rubber then the replacement. But the ordered seal fits snug compared to the original that seems to have some play.

The Seal came in heading back to the dealership this morning to have it installed. The last trip which failed to be repaired the noise caused some kind of rattling in the passenger side. I have complained they will look at the problem.

That is one of my pet peeves and cannot stand rattles (My OCD) that was the main reason I avoided Stubbies for years.

Went yesterday; they replaced the driver side small window, the seal around the entire outside window and the seal along the bottom of the inside window. Wind noise is gone on driver side that I can tell so far.

Passenge side is next (they didn't order the piece since I didn't complain about that apparently Subaru isn't sending kits for both sides unless there is a complaint about it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @CT2015Legacy

No noise!!!!! The replacement seal did the job. Quite. The tech and the service manager drove her to make sure no noises, whistle, or rattles

I'm very pleased.

This is a very stupid question, but I'll ask anyway: since I've got to take my car in soon for its first oil change, can I ask them in advance to replace the seal on the passenger side? Do they need to order anything special in advance of my appointment? And finally, must I pay for this and if so, what have people been charged? I just want to know in advance...if it's going to be a big expense (for my budget), I might just skip it. Thanks.

I think some people genuinely have a wind noise whistling/irritating sound and some are hearing wind noise. Sorry but wind is always gonna make noise when you are driving, I have a $60K with side view mirror whistlin bastard of a car when its really windy out. I think reading about it amplifies our disgust of minor things. Guess I dont believe mine has a problem, but sounds like sexy Laz does. Its extremely windy here at times so i may be used to a little extra wind noise also

Yes, some people have this issue (me) and some may not. IF you hear fluttering on the right side that's beyond what it should be (if you drive enough you will know that the excessive wind noise is not normal), you have a problem.

UPDATE: I called SOA today and spoke to James, who is very professional and genuinely concerned. SOA has been aware of this issue on some Outbacks since July 2014. They are rolling out a permanent fix to this. According to James, some Subaru service centers are doing stopgap repairs, but the permanent fix is still being rolled out slowly. If you have any unusual wind noise above the ordinary, bring your car to an authorized repair facility immediately.

To those who asked, yes, I do have the noise present in my car. OK - when I call for the oil change appointment, I will ask them to order the part/seal. I should expect to pay nothing, as it's under warranty, correct?

Archived