LegacyGT.com

Anyone Interested in An Aftermarket Exhaust

Are you interested in a aftermarket exhaust?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a aftermarket exhaust?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good-nice tone and not too loud. Comparing my muffler delete, mine sounds a little more aggressive and burbly (not a real word). I do like your modded Premium wheels in action too! I like that that you blacked out your trim piece between the tail lights. Looks good!

I need to figure out how to post a vid. Good job with the camera kiddo! :)

^^^ I'm* :lol:

Also for the record (again)... Muffler delete, axle-back. Straight-pipe bolted to the stock flange. Four inch tip flush with exhaust outlet. I don't think it sounds any different than a pricey exhaust system.

Edited by SubieN8

I've given up waiting for someone to bring a full exhaust to market. Well in reality it was never going to happen for the 2.5i given it's the base model and not really performance oriented.

So I'm booked in with with my local exhaust shop for a custom set of headers, mid-pipe and high flow cat. All going well it'll be done by the end of the week.

And after that it's going to get an AWD dyno run and retune in a month.

Edited by tigger73

Back on topic... I took a video of the new exhaust today:

This system has custom headers, 200 cell high flow cat, 2 1/2" mid-pipe with oval resonator and sports rear mufflers.

It has a bit too much raspiness for my liking (and waaay too much for my wife) so it's getting some tweaks done in a couple of days to bring the volume down and take out some of the metallic rasp at higher revs. Still has a nice burble at idle.

^ Sounds good! No offense meant here, but after seeing and hearing the custom exhaust system you spent a significant amount of money on, I'm glad I went with a cheap muffler delete with a nice tip. Mine sounds better IMO. Again, just my opinion and no offense meant. Hugs Tigger!

^ Sounds good! No offense meant here, but after seeing and hearing the custom exhaust system you spent a significant amount of money on, I'm glad I went with a cheap muffler delete with a nice tip. Mine sounds better IMO. Again, just my opinion and no offense meant. Hugs Tigger!

No offense taken. Exhaust are a very personal thing and what is a nice sound to someone is way too much for the next person. The purpose of the video is more for people who are thinking of possibly doing this type of mod to get an idea of what it is going to sound like.

I've said this before but I find videos/youtube of exhaust sounds to never be quite the same as what the exhaust sounds like in real life. You're much better hearing them in person. There's definitely more of a low frequency rumble/burble that doesn't get picked up in an iphone camera and/or played on a PC speaker. Also volume is really hard to judge from a video.

My original goals with my exhaust were:

• to have a better looking exhaust than stock - dual exit with some nice tips
  • increase the performance with headers, high flow cat, etc
  • get some nice sounds happening - a bit of a burble, quiet for cruising around and a bit of a bark when you put your foot down

Right now I'm happy with how the exhaust looks. The engine needs a retune to get the most out of the new headers. And I'm taking the car back to the shop to get some of the raspiness taken out and volume dropped back. After all it's more a luxo-cruiser than a boy racer.

So yes it's still a bit of a work in progress. I thought I'd better record what it was like before I go making more changes in case someone later asks what did my exhaust sound like before... I also have all the original bits in my shed in case I ever need/want to go back to "stock".

I didn't ever think it would be possible but now I am hopeful that after the retune with the new headers is completed that it'll end up with similar straight line performance to the stock 3.6R. For 50% less displacement there's some decent gains to be had from tuning and exhaust work. If I achieve this goal it will be worth the $ spent.

Edited by tigger73

Muffler delete from a local muffler shop. Just a straight pipe welded onto a 4" tip. It's then bolted onto the stock flange. I just did a dual exhaust the last few days, they did a Y pipe with straight pipes. A video coming tomorrow. Edited by SubieN8
spelling